Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
KKnives_Switzerland

Re: Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

Post by KKnives_Switzerland »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:50 pm
Is there a suggested optimal angle to sharpen these blades? What angle do they come ground?
We - currently - ship them ~17dps convex. However, I found a way for making an extremely sharp V-edge and currently comparing 15 and 17dps.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Convex would be longer lasting would it not?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://youtu.be/exIBjSDAhYc

Roman,
please reach out to this guy.
He made me cringe when he attempted to sharpen it before testing it.
He for sure needs to research what he has before he messes with it and makes a review and potentially turn people off.
bwj109

Post by bwj109 »

I have a barracuda? I believe the model is called. I enjoy the knife. It is different. I am used to 10 degree edges in kitchen knives though.

Roman, do you think it is possible to even strop the HIC knives back to sharp. Or possibly touch up on a strop to maintain the edge?
KKnives_Switzerland

bwj109 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:43 pm
I have a barracuda? I believe the model is called. I enjoy the knife. It is different. I am used to 10 degree edges in kitchen knives though.

Roman, do you think it is possible to even strop the HIC knives back to sharp. Or possibly touch up on a strop to maintain the edge?
Yes! It works well! (With diamond paste of course.) 0.5 to 1 micron will do great. With z micron followed by 3 and 1 micron (plus finer) you can signigicantly refine the factory edge Rahven currently puts on the knives.
KKnives_Switzerland

Fireman wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:14 pm
https://youtu.be/exIBjSDAhYc

Roman,
please reach out to this guy.
He made me cringe when he attempted to sharpen it before testing it.
He for sure needs to research what he has before he messes with it and makes a review and potentially turn people off.
I had a conversation with him in my comments - he reached out to me actually under my "Abusing the elastic ceramic" Youtube video. I must admit that in this conversation, I couldn't follow the gentleman in all his points due to him apparentely not being a native speaker as well like myself which complicated it a bit. I did get the impression though that he seems to understand that some of the points he made might are a little "confusing" - I don't know a better word than "confusing" right now. "Confusing" in the sense of what one can expect from a 50-80USD knife compared to the fit and finish of (semi)custom quality or compared to what he is used to personally.
But hey, I guess one can't make everyone happy: price something low and focus on its functional core features and some people won't like it. Price it high and add lots of nice extras and some people won't like it still. Eventually I would love to see both types of elastic ceramic knives on the market: the current, functional mass production for the average Joe and his family as well as high end (semi) custom level for affictionados plus something in between. But even then there will always people who don't like it - which is absolutely fine!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

New materials requires a new understanding and we need to be students to understand the materials to make them work for us and not try to make it conform to what our preconceive notion‘s are. I feel this guy did not treat as such. This new material will not be for everybody but I appreciate you putting it out there to the market at a great price point so more people can see if it does work for them and take a vantage of the amazing benefits that this material offers.
KKnives_Switzerland

Fireman wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:06 pm
New materials requires a new understanding and we need to be students to understand the materials to make them work for us and not try to make it conform to what our preconceive notion‘s are. I feel this guy did not treat as such. This new material will not be for everybody but I appreciate you putting it out there to the market at a great price point so more people can see if it does work for them and take a vantage of the amazing benefits that this material offers.
I agree - mind you though that I don't manufacture and sell this material/knives myself. That would be Rahven. I do R&D work as well as promotion on it. That being said, I had Rahven make a prototype of my own design which I hope to have sold via their website in the near future. (See picture attached - thoughts?)
Attachments
Screenshot_20210709-144131_Gallery.jpg
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A sleek and modern take on Japanese knife. Can you make it taller or thicker for rigidity? What about scallops to aid food release? Single bevel for a super sushi knife? People would pay good money for a forever sharp sushi knife. You could add a lifetime sharpening option with a cost increase for those who don’t want to sharpen (most people). I have a kitchen knife design that I would love for you to try if you want to see.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:17 am
A sleek and modern take on Japanese knife. Can you make it taller or thicker for rigidity? What about scallops to aid food release? Single bevel for a super sushi knife? People would pay good money for a forever sharp sushi knife. You could add a lifetime sharpening option with a cost increase for those who don’t want to sharpen (most people). I have a kitchen knife design that I would love for you to try if you want to see.
What stones would he use? I feel like i would want to use a belt as to not mess up my stones too quickly. (not sure if a ceramic belt would do anything though :confused: )
"Some call me...Tim?"
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

People are working on what tools and techniques to get it to sharpen reliability. I am curious about a toothy edge then polish with diamond lapping film on one side to get some bite on things like a tomato skin but still fine enough to be super sharp.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:25 pm
People are working on what tools and techniques to get it to sharpen reliability. I am curious about a toothy edge then polish with diamond lapping film on one side to get some bite on things like a tomato skin but still fine enough to be super sharp.
Trugrit sells a few different diamond belts for the Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander. I imagine those would work good to sharpen this material.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Thanks for the heads up Josh. I've been working on sharpening mine with diamond lapping films and the worksharp guided sharpener. I think I need to look at the diamond belts on TruGrit.

I'd be very interested in a Mule in this material (and hopefully the other--white--one that Roman was talking about). My initial experiences with the two kitchen knives I bought have been very positive.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:05 pm
Fireman wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:25 pm
Trugrit sells a few different diamond belts for the Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander. I imagine those would work good to sharpen this material.
Awesome! I might take a look.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

KKnives_Switzerland wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:43 am
I agree - mind you though that I don't manufacture and sell this material/knives myself. That would be Rahven. I do R&D work as well as promotion on it. That being said, I had Rahven make a prototype of my own design which I hope to have sold via their website in the near future. (See picture attached - thoughts?)
I rather like this design over the currently available large kitchen knives, so I hope that works out, but I’ll still probably get one of Rahven’s as well as a Mule if all goes well.

Btw, I know I said I’d email you asking a little more about the Elastic Ceramic. I haven’t forgotten, but there’s a bit of research I need to do and some other stuff I have to take care of beforehand.
I just really appreciate the effort and patience on your end to talk with all of us here.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
KKnives_Switzerland

Quick reply regarding sharpening in the picture below. I shared this on my instagram and due to timely limitations, I just paste it here. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attachments
IMG_20210704_082707_016.jpg
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

If these diamond epoxy things work, would a super vitrified diamond stone work as well?
https://www.triplebhandmade.com/shop/50 ... waterstone
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Maybe we should reach out to BBB aka DeadBoxHero here on the forum to see how he thinks the HIC responds to the super vitrified diamond stones?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Roman, if this material can be injection molded, can you make an integral knife that could not only make it stronger but be seamless for ease of cleaning? Or perhaps a blade and bolster? Something like this knife that is my favorite chef knife?
KKnives_Switzerland

Fireman wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:52 pm
If these diamond epoxy things work, would a super vitrified diamond stone work as well?
https://www.triplebhandmade.com/shop/50 ... waterstone
Didn't work well for me - though I used old prototype ones from practical sharpening which he sent me in 2019. They were softer than the ones he is selling now. In any case, trying does not hurt.