Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Matus

Re: Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

Post by Matus »

I got two of the small ones (for family as presents). No, they don't shave arm hair and as was already mentioned - the may at first feel 'dull', but they do cut. The material behaves very differently from steel. These are supposed to be finished at 1200 grit - that kind of edge would be crazy aggressive on a kitchen knife, these don't feel quite as aggressive (the 'teeth' must look different at a microscopic level), but they do cut. Also - since the knives are feather light (literally), they don't bring any weight of their own to the cutting what also changes the impression in hand.

These are light use knives IMO as they are really quite flexible. The large ones will obviously be a little stiffer.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
KKnives_Switzerland

Post by KKnives_Switzerland »

Hi all
Finally found time to reply to this thread. Below is a super quick video I made of a hair shaving edge. In order to get it, one has to strop the factory edge we currently ship either on 6micron, then 1 micron diamond paste (and lower if wanted) or, which yields somewhat better results, on diamond lapping films on a squishy foam like gun case foam as a backing with oil on the film as a lubricant. I get my diamond lapping films cheap (10USDish) from "practicalsharpening". Still had no time to do the promised sharpening tutorial, so much work. Please bear with me😬

Also, Sal, if you are reading this, I am so stoked about Spyderco trying the elastic HIC ceramic. Curious what you will find.

And if anyone wonders about my connection with the HIC ceramic: Rahven and I are partners. I do knife related R&D and other things with and for them.

https://youtube.com/shorts/CjknZd2u6TQ?feature=share
KKnives_Switzerland

Oh and I almost forgot - we are working on offering a sharpening system in the Rahven shop. Finding the perfect Shore hardness for the elastic backing currently. I personally had the best sharpening results with the foam taken from a SAM splint, but I still haven't figured out the exact type of foam used on those splints. Gun case foam works nice too, but it is a tad too soft imo.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I am a bit surprised and confused. I thought KKnives said that you need special machinery to work this material, which I would totally expect. Now Sal says he might be thinking about making a MT out of this. :confused:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for posting here KKnives!!!
We finally smoked you out ;)
Glad we are all on the same thread now.
The synergy of your alchemy ceramic and Sal/Spyderco could be a great outcome.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Sam splints are not that expensive. you can just chop up sam splints to the size desired. Funny thing is we have those on all our fire engines and now all I am going to think of us sharpening knives lol.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
KKnives_Switzerland

archangel wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:11 am
I am a bit surprised and confused. I thought KKnives said that you need special machinery to work this material, which I would totally expect. Now Sal says he might be thinking about making a MT out of this. :confused:
Well, while it is true that you need special machinery, it is available on the market. Or, as an alternative, it wouldn't be the first time that Spyderco has something made in Switzerland. Let's see first though how Sal likes it before even thinking about Spyderco using it. But there are definitely ways to make it happen if we talk technical aspects. Let's be patient guys and see what happens! :)
Last edited by KKnives_Switzerland on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KKnives_Switzerland

Fireman wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:42 am
Sam splints are not that expensive. you can just chop up sam splints to the size desired. Funny thing is we have those on all our fire engines and now all I am going to think of us sharpening knives lol.
Haha that is funny indeed. For larger volumes of sharpening systems though, chopping up SAM splints ain't gonna cut it though. (Pardon the pun lol)
archangel

Post by archangel »

KKnives_Switzerland wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:05 am
archangel wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:11 am
Well, while it is true that you need special machinery, it is available on the market. Or, as an alternative, it wouldn't be the first time that Spyderco has something made in Switzerland. Let's see first though how Sal likes it though before even thinking about Spyderco using it. But there are definitely ways to make it happen if we talk technical aspects. Let's be patient guys and see what happens! :)

You're right. Patience is a virtue. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
KKnives_Switzerland

defenestrate wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:45 pm
A little curious as to how a mule would work as this appears to be a pretty flexible material and is probably being made rather thin. I'm all for it though.
The elastic HIC ceramic behaves pretty much like steel: grind steel thin, with thin stock, and it flexes. But with thick stock, it will flex far less. While that doesn't work or work only in a very limited way with normal ceramic, the elastic HIC ceramic behaves like steel in that regard. So for a mule, thicker, 3 or better 4mm stock, would be be possible. And it can be made, but currently we only make 2mm stock. But there is pretty much no limit to thickness, you can make this stuff several inches thick, complex shapes and geometries. (So there are tons of other applications for the HIC ceramic, too...) A very intersting fact about the elastic HIC ceramic: cracks do not propagate. If a crack appears in the matrix, it just stops spreading after a very short while and just "stays" there without growing, and has little impact on the rest of the material zone around it. You can imagine it like the opposite of a ceramic kitchen plate. Once you got a chip in normal ceramic, it is a significant weak spot. But far, far less with the elastic HIC ceramic. This is a pretty huge deal, too, apart from the elasticity.

...I have been wanting to make prototype ballistic armor in the shape of SAPI plates from it for a while now, but it would be an expensive project and our focus is on other projects now. But I hope to make it happen, I could imagine this stuff being the ultimate ballistic armor, if made into a like 1 inch thick, curved body armor plate. Super light weight, that's for sure. (If DARPA is reading this, let me/us know, haha. :P)
KKnives_Switzerland

Gtscotty wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:43 pm
I'm not very artsy, but it seems to cut honey dew just fine. The knife is sharper than I originally thought just feeling the edge out of the box.

It feels different, doesn't it? The HIC ceramic has a very low friction coefficiant, which I think is the reason for why an edge on it feels less "bitey" or aggressive on the finger tip than what it actually is. Definitely a great ball bearing material; shock resistant, hard, smooth. (For folders for example... ln phosphorus bronze cages.. Let alone for industrial applications... But one thing at a time.)
KKnives_Switzerland

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:36 am
I was all set to order, but the shipping is 50% of the blade price. Shipping services in Switzerland must be very expensive.
Unfortunately yes. :(
An overseas distributor would be great. So Sal being interested is good news.
KKnives_Switzerland

Fireman wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:04 pm
I got the info directly from him and it is in the works but not a sellable product yet.
Just for perspective, the elastic ceramic cut 2,350 cuts of rope on Cedric and Ada while Z-Max cut 1000 till it started to hang up while cutting paper. This is a game changer. That should be a lifetime shaver and if you had issues I hope you could remove the blade and sharpen it and then give it to your son for his lifetime. Am I being optimistic? I don’t know but the tests are amazing. All this and no corrosive issues that makes blades dull much quicker than normal.
In the works, but needs more time, as you hinted. Could definitely be a game changer for the shaving game, but must confirm first. A life time of shaving without touch ups? Hmm, maybe it's even possible, but it's very optimistic. Yet having elastic ceramic also was very optimistic a few years ago. 10 years of shaving without any stropping are a realistic goal and also would be great I think. I am on it.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oh man... a knife you don’t need to sharpen... do you not know us at all? :p
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Also very intrigued!
If the mules perform well, I will probably buy one as well as some of the Rahven knives.

Kinda want to see a machete out of this stuff lol

Also, KKnives, when you say “complex shapes”, just how complex? Could you make a shape like some of these?

https://youtu.be/4WwVkwamMuA

And the lower limit to amount of detail?
Like 1mm? 0.5mm? Is that too small?

Apologies for the bombardment of questions that probably would be more appropriate in a private email because they don’t exactly relate to Spyderco or knives.
I’ve just got an idea and I’m curious if it’s not feasible before I think too deeply about it lol.
If your answer is yes to my first question, would you mind if I email you or something?

There are so many possible applications for this stuff!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
KKnives_Switzerland

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:05 am
Also very intrigued!
If the mules perform well, I will probably buy one as well as some of the Rahven knives.

Kinda want to see a machete out of this stuff lol

Also, KKnives, when you say “complex shapes”, just how complex? Could you make a shape like some of these?

https://youtu.be/4WwVkwamMuA

And the lower limit to amount of detail?
Like 1mm? 0.5mm? Is that too small?

Apologies for the bombardment of questions that probably would be more appropriate in a private email because they don’t exactly relate to Spyderco or knives.
I’ve just got an idea and I’m curious if it’s not feasible before I think too deeply about it lol.
If your answer is yes to my first question, would you mind if I email you or something?

There are so many possible applications for this stuff!
Oh much more complex than the part in the video. For example human teeth, joints and bones. (It is biocompatible.) Or gears and moulds. The smallest diameter is hard to pinpoint, it really depends on the shape. But significantly below 0.5mm, that's for sure. Go ahead in emailing me!
KKnives_Switzerland

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:37 am
Oh man... a knife you don’t need to sharpen... do you not know us at all? :p
Haha you're right, that's a drawback for folks like us! ;)
KKnives_Switzerland

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:12 pm
Hey Gtscotty,

Will it shave arm hair?

sal
FYI if you haven't seen it; wrote many replies. Will shave like this once the edge is taken to 1 micron or below:
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:10 am
sal wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:12 pm
Hey Gtscotty,

Will it shave arm hair?

sal
FYI if you haven't seen it; wrote many replies. Will shave like this once the edge is taken to 1 micron or below:
So a 6 micron and 1 micron set of diamond lapping films and some foam should be all I need? The knife is interesting, but not terribly sharp, and I'd like to get it there to see what it does.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:11 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:36 am
I was all set to order, but the shipping is 50% of the blade price. Shipping services in Switzerland must be very expensive.
Unfortunately yes. :(
An overseas distributor would be great. So Sal being interested is good news.
I'm still interested, but might wait and see if Spyderco picks up the US distribution.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001