SEX! (bolts)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

SEX! (bolts)

Post by Bolster »

If I'm lucky enough to score a mule soon, I'd like to try a handle solution that I can remove and replace. It seems that sexbolts are the answer here? What size would you recommend for a mule with 1/4" thick scales...and what source?

Thanks!

Gratuitous sexy picture of naked sexbolts being sexy:

Last edited by Bolster on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
z1r

Re: SEX! (bolts)

Post by z1r »

I have been wondering the same. I'm wanting the ability to remove the scales.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

z1r wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:59 am
I have been wondering the same. I'm wanting the ability to remove the scales.

Ya, but Z1r, you forgot to use the word "sex" somewhere in your post...
z1r

Post by z1r »

My Bad!

I too am curious as to what type, diameter, and length sexbolt to use. I want to be able to remove the scales for when I want a boot knife for my sexy boots!

Better?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I use 1/4" Gulso bolts from Maker Material Supply.

I can't figure out the difference between sex and gulso, but there has to be a great joke in there somewhere.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Yes z1r, your post is much sexier now.
TomAiello wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:38 pm
I use 1/4" Gulso bolts from Maker Material Supply. I can't figure out the difference between sex and gulso, but there has to be a great joke in there somewhere.

Those Gulso's look great; they'd require a countersink, looks like. What size would you recommend for a mule with 1/4" scales? My confusion is whether the dimension measures the shank in the middle, or from top of head to top of head, and if the latter, at maximum or minimum expansion? Thanks Tom.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Maker Material Supply has a sizing guide for the drill bits that tells you which ones fit which Gulso bolts (and which Corby's also). At this point I have pretty much collected all the various drill bits.

I use 1/4 Gulso's on all my mule scales (except for the ones I use Corby's on). Both 1/4 and 3/8 thickness scales. I have some 'sacrificial' Gulsos that I use while sanding (all my mule scales are '3d').
standy99

Post by standy99 »

For myself it’s not a matter of which bolts until you have worked out thickness colour.

Most will agree it’s which of the 5 or 6 type of bolts you have. Also which of the 5 drill bits to use.

That’s after you have bought the wrong bolts with the right bolts because you always buy 3 types.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:14 am
Most will agree it’s which of the 5 or 6 type of bolts you have. Also which of the 5 drill bits to use.

That’s after you have bought the wrong bolts with the right bolts because you always buy 3 types.
Definitely.

I swear I have every single color and size combination at this point. I even bought some cheap ones off Ali Express (do not recommend--impossible to find correct size drill bits) to try.
z1r

Post by z1r »

The one thing I didn't like about many of the bolts I found was that they only a Torx fitting on one side. I envision the insert simply spinning when you try to remove it. So, I am looking for something with Torx fittings on both sides. I may just thread a round insert and use two Torx screws on either side. Now, ain't that sexy?
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:14 pm
The Maker Material Supply has a sizing guide for the drill bits that tells you which ones fit which Gulso bolts (and which Corby's also). At this point I have pretty much collected all the various drill bits.

I use 1/4 Gulso's on all my mule scales (except for the ones I use Corby's on). Both 1/4 and 3/8 thickness scales. I have some 'sacrificial' Gulsos that I use while sanding (all my mule scales are '3d').
I too have been using the Gulso bolts that came recommended from Tom. I think they are awesome but in the same note, I feel like they are a little pricy (like $1.79 per bolt). Personally like to see them sub $1.00 USD.

How much are those sex bolts?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:34 am
standy99 wrote:

Definitely.

I swear I have every single color and size combination at this point. I even bought some cheap ones off Ali Express (do not recommend--impossible to find correct size drill bits) to try.
My last orders all I needed was 2 bolts and 1 G10 spacer sheet in red

= 4 sets of bolts
2 lengths of decorative pins
2 lengths of brass thin pins
3 different colour G10 spacer sheets
1 set of canvas micarta scales
1 6mm drill bit
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I've been researching...for screw/bolt options, it looks like other options of 'reversible' or 'undo-able' screw connections include:

Barrel Nuts, Chain Ring Bolts, Chicago Screws, Gulso Bolts, Sexbolts, Post Screws (possibly also Rivet Nuts).

Then there's "Connectors," aka "Threaded Barrel Standoffs" which are just short threaded tubes, into which you screw a pan or button screw to either side (this appears to be the Halpern scales method -- he'll sell you a connector set for $6).

Then there's Loveless Fasteners & Corby Bolts, but I believe these are 'nonreversible' screw connections, ie, you screw together, then you grind off the head.

I'm not an expert, the above ^ is just my best guess, so consider the source (ignorant!) and do your own research!

Izzo: I see Sexbolts at usaknifemaker for $4.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:34 am
I even bought some cheap ones off Ali Express (do not recommend--impossible to find correct size drill bits) to try.

Even with a numbered or lettered drill bit set? Those fractionals have big jumps between bits.

z1r wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:54 am
The one thing I didn't like about many of the bolts I found was that they only a Torx fitting on one side.

Look into those "Threaded Barrel Standoffs," those take just a regular button-head or flat-head or pan-head screw (your choice) on either side. It's the method Halpern uses.

standy99 wrote:

LOL Standy, that sounds about right! You are the voice of fatalistic reasonableness.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 am
z1r wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:54 am
The one thing I didn't like about many of the bolts I found was that they only a Torx fitting on one side.

Look into those "Threaded Barrel Standoffs," those take just a regular button-head or flat-head or pan-head screw (your choice) on either side. It's the method Halpern uses.
Pretty much what I was thinking. Just wasn't certain yet, haven't done a ton of research, if those stand offs were available in the diameter I need.

Will probably red loctite one side in (if required). Hopefully picking up an MT31 next week will motivate me to get all the materials I need.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

z1r wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am
Pretty much what I was thinking. Just wasn't certain yet, haven't done a ton of research, if those stand offs were available in the diameter I need.

I'd want the threaded inserts (of whatever type) to be a tight fit for the small holes in the mule. Those small mule holes appear to be somewhere in the .188-.190" range, ie, 3/16". I see a number of standoffs sold in 3/16" O.D., most accept a 4-40 screw. As far as length of standoff, that would depend on thickness of scales, and if you counterbore the backside of your scales at 3/16 also, so the standoff fits into the scale from the bak side. Halpern does that. Makes sense, that gives you additional surface so the scales don't move about. I will be using a 3/16" end mill to counterbore the back sides of my scales, so I get a nice flat counterbore shoulder.

Your idea of locktite on one of the two screws makes sense to me! You've basically made yourself a sexbolt in that case, but at less cost...of course, the Gulso bolts would give you a lot more shoulder, which would be an added benefit, especially for softer scale materials.

Again, I'm a handle noob, so don't take my word for anything. I just have a couple of machinist's and woodshop classes under my belt, but that's not the same as actual handle experience. "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." So anyone with real experience has the right to tell me to shut the h*** up.
z1r

Post by z1r »

As a total noob, I appreciate the space to have this discussion with like minded folk. At least I feel like I'm on the right track and that my ideas aren't way out in left field. I was thinking that a 3/16" endmill would be about right as well. Any idea what the diameter of the screw heads are?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

z1r wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:23 am
As a total noob, I appreciate the space to have this discussion with like minded folk. At least I feel like I'm on the right track and that my ideas aren't way out in left field. I was thinking that a 3/16" endmill would be about right as well. Any idea what the diameter of the screw heads are?
You can buy a drill bit that has the core and the bolt diameter in one. Will update this thread with what I mean when home from work. So basically the larger diameter is for the countersunk screw the thinner is for the bolt core. Usually sold where you buy bolts... the bolts usually have the link to the drill bit that is the same as the bolts.

Edit website is playing up where I buy them.

Looks like this.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone have a source in the USA for bits like the ones that Standy posted?

My bits are all the two part variety, where you insert the pilot piece into the bit (so you can swap them out). I'd be interested to try the one piece sort that he posted, and see if I like them better (or worse).
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

The one piece counter-bore bits are harder to find in the exact sizes you might need but not impossible. These are made to fit corby bolt sizes specifically.

This is the one I use more than any other..
(for extra small corby) https://usaknifemaker.com/carbide-count ... pilot.html

Here's more sizes you might want..
(for micro corby) https://usaknifemaker.com/carbide-count ... pilot.html

(for medium corby) https://usaknifemaker.com/carbide-count ... pilot.html

(for large corby) https://usaknifemaker.com/counterbore-c ... pilot.html

I also have this one, but it's not as good as the carbide one I have in this size.
https://trugrit.com/product/3-16-hss-st ... ot-1-long/

If you search "stepdrill" on Trugrit.com or "counter bore" on USA Knifemaker.com you'll find these and a bunch more. You should be able to find the size you want to match the hardware you choose here. You should also be able to find the hardware there as well.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.