Poll: CPM S45VN Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Would you be interested in purchasing a mule(s) in CPM S45VN?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:53 pm

Yes, I would be interested in purchasing ONE S45VN mule.
28%
Yes, I would be interested in purchasing TWO S45VN mules.
41%
No, I don't intend to purchase an S45VN mule.
31%

Total votes: 39

Bolster

Poll: CPM S45VN Mule

Post by Bolster »

This poll is to gauge the interest in the upcoming S45VN mule (similar to the concurrently running poll that is testing interest in MagnaCut). Poll open for 14 days from Fri Apr 9.
TomAiello

Re: Poll: CPM S45VN Mule

Post by TomAiello »

I'll buy two.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I cannot find a compelling reason to buy anything in S45vn, unless it eventually replaces both S30v and S35vn.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I usually buy mules. When I acquire other fixed blade or folder in same steel, I now let the mule go. I have two fixed blades and one folder in S45VN so I'm likely passing on this one. If I was to get one, it would be for a gift to someone else I know.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
fixall

Post by fixall »

I have some experience with S45VN so I'll only be buying one to compare to my other Mules. Hopefully with S45VN becoming a bit more common right now, maybe that will allow most of the people who want one to get one.

With exotic steel's becoming all the rage these days, I'm so happy that the Mule Team is back. It's so much easier to get a feel for a steel's edge retention, toughness, and sharpening properties when you're working with a platform that gets rid of so many variables. :D
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Well, phoo. This poll was not even close to predictive.
Greasypeanut

Post by Greasypeanut »

I am late to this. But I bought a S45vn mule today! Will be my first S45vn blade, first mule and first fixed blade. Also got the boltaron sheath for it. I'll try some paracord scales on it first.

Probably won't give the best comparative info as the only "premium" steel I have is a s90v. But I plan on using the mule for food prep, fishing/camping purposes. Can compare with my vg10 shun kitchen knives.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

How did they sell out so fast? I was parked on the MULE TEAM™ 31 CPM® S45VN page and was hitting refresh ( F5 ) as the minutes got close to then past 9:00 mt (8:00am pacific) and it goes from coming soon straight to SOLD OUT after a refresh.

Was I on the wrong page? I don't have the fastest connection speed but man - I blinked and they were gone.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I was at the SFO purchasing mine in person and, when checking out at 9:11 mst, heard the staff say that they were all sold out! 11 Minutes! Wow!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, GreasyPeanut:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum!

Stay safe,

Mike
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I wanted a S45VN mule because it seems that a couple high end knife manufacturers, (CRK, Hinderer) are moving from S35VN. I don't know if Spyderco will move from S30 and S35 and will become replaced. I want to stay ahead of the game, if I can with sharpening and bevel angles.
Greasypeanut

Post by Greasypeanut »

I got on and was refreshing starting at 7:59am PST, once it actually got to 8am it took a very long time for it to actually move from screen to screen. I was finally able to check out 8:05. I'm glad I got on early lol
sbdude

Post by sbdude »

z4vdBt wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:03 pm
How did they sell out so fast? I was parked on the MULE TEAM™ 31 CPM® S45VN page and was hitting refresh ( F5 ) as the minutes got close to then past 9:00 mt (8:00am pacific) and it goes from coming soon straight to SOLD OUT after a refresh.

Was I on the wrong page? I don't have the fastest connection speed but man - I blinked and they were gone.
I think they made the page live but didn't add stock until right at the start time so for a little bit before start time while the page was active but no stock added, it said "Sold Out". I saw the same thing but refreshed again and it was available.

I was going to order 2, one for a gift, but decided to only order 1 and leave the other one for someone else. Now I see them being flipped on Ebay and kind of wish I would have ordered 2 and possibly kept one out of the hands of a flipper. But I'll just soothe my conscience with the thought that some Spydie fan got the one I left.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Man... I did not see those flying away so fast.

The secondary market is going to kill me on these. 🤦‍♂️
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

sbdude wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:28 pm
I think they made the page live but didn't add stock until right at the start time so for a little bit before start time while the page was active but no stock added, it said "Sold Out". I saw the same thing but refreshed again and it was available.

Ah, so there is a chance lol.
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

I would have bought 2 but... No unless they're re-releasing, can't do it now.