MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
User avatar
Glock27
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:04 am

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby Glock27 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:08 am

Good grief! I bet 1000 wouldn't have lasted the day...

G27

User avatar
spydie-fan
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:58 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby spydie-fan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 am

Missed it again :(
Honestly I think Spyderco needs to start limiting these to 1 per person.

sbdude
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:00 pm
Location: SW Missouri

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby sbdude » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 am

I got one this time!!! I was going to order 2 but decided to leave the other one for someone else. And it sounds like that was a good decision as they sold out so fast. Hope someone enjoys that other one I left out there for you. :)

z1r
Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:39 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby z1r » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:21 am

I got my two but was checking out at 9:11 when I heard the announcement that they had sold out! Wow. I splurged and got myself a set of handles/scales.

User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 2124
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby Bolster » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:23 am

Hm, no problem ordering here. Slow servers is all, but two on the way to Bolster.

User avatar
standy99
Member
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
Location: Between Broome and Cairns somewhere

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby standy99 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:26 am

spydie-fan wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 am
Missed it again :(
Honestly I think Spyderco needs to start limiting these to 1 per person.
Not everyone buys 2 and the ones that do like to compare different grinds on the same steel so I see a limit of two sufficient.
There will be some SPY27 that are constant so this will help the handle makers out. ( Sal mentioned the same but with a straighter spine that sounds interesting )

I believe after the next few that are set in numbers Spyderco will up them to probably double or more if they are still going strong.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.

bleasure
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby bleasure » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:30 am

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:51 am
Wow, I'm surprised this one sold out this fast. :eek:

I wonder what is causing these Mule Team knives to sell so much better this time around. Has demand really increased this much? (from months/years to sell out to 11 minutes) Are the quantities being made, matching the demand? Could it be from the increased marketing such as the new sub-forum, social media, and email? Are flippers flipping these? Is it a result of the low price compared to the usual Spyderco offerings? (for example, people are used to seeing triple-quadruple the price for Spyderco knives they want, so when one pops up for $50 it's a no-brainer to buy it) None the less, they don't sell like they used to... they sell MUCH better!

Don't get me wrong though, I'm very happy to see the Mule Team project continue to be successful! I'm looking forward to whats in store for the future! :cool:
as someone who's new to mule teams (managed to grab one, very excited about learning how to make my first handles), spyderco, and knife... let's call it fetishism in general, i was wondering about this too. so it's been your experience in the past that mules were available for longer times? because after watching a few 'i want to make mule scale' videos, that was impression i got just from the general tone - they seemed easy to pick up at the time. my guess is that in the 10 years between the videos i watched were made and now, because the socio-technical and cultural infrastructure of the internet has developed profoundly, digital access has increased, "gear" marketing/consumerism (including edc/prepperism) exploded culturally, and intensification of tinkering/personal hobbies like crafting or collecting in general during the pandemic that "knives" fit into very well, among other things combined to create a pretty acute interest in knives in general. that's without even getting into why *knives,* which is relatively loaded and a different discussion.

so in other words, the hypothesis is 1. more people know about them for various reasons, 2. more people are interested in them for various reasons, 3. more people are both able to get them, and are more willing to spend money on them now than before. but i'd be curious about the other elements you mention as well, and tbh, all of this curiosity in general is, if i think about it, a curiosity about whether trying to get this or that knife here or there as a newbie is always going to be this time consuming and like, mildly stressful, lol

z1r
Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:39 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby z1r » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:37 am

Having kids as well as a BIL that is into knives, I appreciate the 2 per limit. It allows me to get one as a gift.

User avatar
elmeringalo
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 am
Location: Spain, Europe, Earth

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby elmeringalo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:01 am

this time it was impossible to contact, I lost it. Something would have to be done, this is absurd.🥵
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo

Alexander135
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:27 am

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby Alexander135 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:08 am

spydie-fan wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 am
Missed it again :(
Honestly I think Spyderco needs to start limiting these to 1 per person.
Agree. I think a temporary restriction of 1 per person for the first 24-48 hours would help greatly.

Dane
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby Dane » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:09 am

I got one. My first mule,im very excited!

z1r
Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:39 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby z1r » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:15 am

Dane wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:09 am
I got one. My first mule,im very excited!
I'm excited for you, they are fun. I finally admitted to myself that it will be a while before I find the time to make myself a set of handles so I caved in and bought some. At least now I can actually use the knife (with handles). Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

Team Sick
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:38 pm
Location: Syracuse, New York

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby Team Sick » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:32 am

I thought I posted this earlier, but apparently not. I got on the SFO site at 1100hrs EST and my first attempt returned an "Out of Stock" notice! Second attempt allowed me to put in cart and as I was already logged-in, the sale went quickly. Made my purchase and received the Order Confirmation by e-mail at 1103hrs. I'm PSYCHED! Can't wait to get it in hand to go along with my SPY27. It did sell-out quicker than I expected as S45VN has been out for a while now.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 5321
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby TomAiello » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:36 am

Ugh. Working too much and I missed it. :(

Congratulations to everyone who was able to score one.

edit: I see they are on eBay at $150. I may have to just suck it up and buy one there.

yablanowitz
Member
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Liberal, Kansas

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby yablanowitz » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 am

bleasure wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:30 am
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:51 am
Wow, I'm surprised this one sold out this fast. :eek:

I wonder what is causing these Mule Team knives to sell so much better this time around. Has demand really increased this much? (from months/years to sell out to 11 minutes) Are the quantities being made, matching the demand? Could it be from the increased marketing such as the new sub-forum, social media, and email? Are flippers flipping these? Is it a result of the low price compared to the usual Spyderco offerings? (for example, people are used to seeing triple-quadruple the price for Spyderco knives they want, so when one pops up for $50 it's a no-brainer to buy it) None the less, they don't sell like they used to... they sell MUCH better!

Don't get me wrong though, I'm very happy to see the Mule Team project continue to be successful! I'm looking forward to whats in store for the future! :cool:
as someone who's new to mule teams (managed to grab one, very excited about learning how to make my first handles), spyderco, and knife... let's call it fetishism in general, i was wondering about this too. so it's been your experience in the past that mules were available for longer times? because after watching a few 'i want to make mule scale' videos, that was impression i got just from the general tone - they seemed easy to pick up at the time. my guess is that in the 10 years between the videos i watched were made and now, because the socio-technical and cultural infrastructure of the internet has developed profoundly, digital access has increased, "gear" marketing/consumerism (including edc/prepperism) exploded culturally, and intensification of tinkering/personal hobbies like crafting or collecting in general during the pandemic that "knives" fit into very well, among other things combined to create a pretty acute interest in knives in general. that's without even getting into why *knives,* which is relatively loaded and a different discussion.

so in other words, the hypothesis is 1. more people know about them for various reasons, 2. more people are interested in them for various reasons, 3. more people are both able to get them, and are more willing to spend money on them now than before. but i'd be curious about the other elements you mention as well, and tbh, all of this curiosity in general is, if i think about it, a curiosity about whether trying to get this or that knife here or there as a newbie is always going to be this time consuming and like, mildly stressful, lol
Speaking as someone who has followed this project from its inception, I can tell you that before it was discontinued due to lack of interest, Mules were available for much longer periods. Not in greater numbers, but for longer times. They generally took a couple of weeks to sell out at least. Some hung around for years, which is why it was discontinued for a few years.

bleasure
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby bleasure » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:49 am

yablanowitz - that's a great point too, and one i completely forgot - they were gone for years, so yeah, i'd bet that helps create an appetite for the new ones in a major way. thanks for your reply though, maybe with a few more releases it'll become easier? at least, until magnacut debuts...

z1r
Member
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:39 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby z1r » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:00 pm

I think that the fact that this is a "limited" product and due to its reintroduction, and perhaps people being bored out of there skulls due to Covid, an inflated demand has been created. I'd wager to guess that if increased quantities were offered, demand would drop.

User avatar
FullScaler
Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:42 am
Contact:

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby FullScaler » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:14 pm

I woke up this morning to my wife wishing me a happy birthday and then my alarm dinged at me for my one hour notice for MT31.

I was refreshing the screen right at launch time and even though the site was lagging a bit I was able to get my 2 and a set of scales too just in time! Happy birthday to me!

Even though they sell out so fast, I personally really appreciate the limit of 2 per person. Being from Canada, the shipping is almost as much as one blade so it is really nice to be able to get 2 (one for a friend) and split the shipping costs. The shipping cost coupled with the currency conversion would make it well over 100 bucks if I was only able to get 1.

Congratz to those who got one! Better luck next time for those who didn't. And a big finger for any flippers buying them just to make a buck on the secondary market!
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com

yablanowitz
Member
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Liberal, Kansas

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby yablanowitz » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:19 pm

If they are already on eBay for triple price, that is pure flipper. The only real solution to flippers is don't buy from them. If they have eat their stock, they'll stop.

Joshcrutchley1
Member
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:44 am
Location: Michigan

Re: MT31P - Mule Team Featuring CPM S45VN - Release Date

Postby Joshcrutchley1 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 pm

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:19 pm
If they are already on eBay for triple price, that is pure flipper. The only real solution to flippers is don't buy from them. If they have eat their stock, they'll stop.
One of them has 4 available. :mad:


Return to “Mule Team Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests