Mule Team Connections - Curiosity

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

Mule Team Connections - Curiosity

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
Thank you all for your participation in this new area of the forum. It's been awesome to watch. Reading through posts, and seeing new members, piqued my curiosity.

How many of you joined the forum because of the Mule Team?

If you aren't a new member, has this area helped to increase your interest in the Mule Team?

What else would you like to see in this area of the forum (specific to Mule Teams)?

Thanks for sharing your answers and your thoughts.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Bolster

Re: Mule Team Connections - Curiosity

Post by Bolster »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:22 pm
Hey, everyone:
Thank you all for your participation in this new area of the forum. It's been awesome to watch. Reading through posts, and seeing new members, piqued my curiosity.

Thank YOU, Kristi, for creating this forum!
TazKristi wrote:
Did you join the forum because of the Mule Team?
If you aren't a new member, has this area helped to increase your interest in the Mule Team?

No, and yes, quite a bit.
TazKristi wrote:
What else would you like to see in this area of the forum (specific to Mule Teams)?

The reason this forum is piquing my interest in S-Mules (I only own 3 so far but am in the market for more) is that this sub-forum is quickly becoming a repository of knowledge on knife-building (as opposed to knife making) and modifications. Many excellent knowledge-sharing & how-to posts and are appearing here, more than in the main forum. The general forum is more consumeristic; this forum is more hands-on DIY which really interests some of us and pushes us deeper into the hobby. I think there will be a lot of crossover between interest in Mules, and the builder/modifier/tinkerer/maker mindset. So what I'd like to see is an occasional post by one of the S-Crew on "how-to" or the thinking behind builds and mods, because this sub-form seems more "nuts and bolts."

Also it would be nice if there were a way to recognize the authors of some of the amazing how-to's published here, which obviously have taken a lot of time to assemble, and represent a remarkably free sharing of hard-earned knowledge.

Thanks again Kristi for this sub-forum! You rock!
Last edited by Bolster on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I initially joined to talk about the mule team. I soon discovered the scale of the knife steel world. Having this section allows me to easily find the beautiful work of others along with new styles of handle making.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've always thought the Mule Team was interesting and mysterious at the same time, because I had never ventured into the fixed blade world. I was lucky enough to be the winner of Larry's Mule Team giveaway knife a couple months ago and it really opened my eyes to the fixed blade world, as well as the Mule Team in general.

Such a great size and comfortable to use, I'm now very intrigued by the future releases, and have subbed to many topics in this subforum!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

I arrived at the Spyderco forum and MT sub-forum specifically while researching the Mule Team earlier in 2021. Prior to this, I did not know about the forum despite owning a few Spyderco knives. I've really enjoyed the information, conversation, and excitement on the forum, even if I do not post frequently (this is my first post).
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Dragoon:

Welcome to the Spyderco forum! Thank you for joining us!!!

Stay safe,

Mike
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Dragoon wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:21 pm
I've really enjoyed the information, conversation, and excitement on the forum, even if I do not post frequently (this is my first post).
Welcome Dragoon! What do you intend to do with your Mule(s)?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TazKristi wrote:

Yeah, this area is kind of like a pep rally for Mules. How could someone not be at least a little stoked?

I don't really need any more fixed blade knives. BUT... I might be curious about working with some new wood, plastic, or technique. It's a lot of work. To try out new ideas on a blade made out of a leaf spring or saw blade results in a pretty knife that is no good to use. With the Mules, we can play around with new ideas, spend a lot of time on it, and in the end have a knife that is gratifying to use.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm not a new member, but I have to admit my interest in mules has increased with the new forum. Having all in the information in one place is very helpful. Thanks again for the hard work.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

Hi Bolster,
I nearly always have a knife on me and enjoy using and maintaining them, and before I started carrying spyderco folders last year I've preferred fixed blade knives. It would be a return to my roots.
wisby

Post by wisby »

I first became interested in comparing steels, then in the spyderco mule offering, then I googled when it would be available and found this forum. So even though I was familiar with the spyderco website to gather info about knives to look for in stores, I was not aware of the forum until google brought me there. I generated an account on spyderco’s website and joined the forum when I was preparing to jump on the SPY27 mule recently.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wasn't a new member, and I've always been a fan of the Mule Team project, so this forum is something I really like. It's become the first place I look when I get on the Spyderco forums.
TazKristi wrote:
I think it would be neat to have some members (Xplorer?) write up some 'how to' instructions for things like making scales, or sheaths, and then have a sticky thread at the top of the forum for them.

I'd also love to see a good 'steel database' for just the mules with HRC numbers (TCC numbers and toughness ratings would be even more amazing).

Regardless, I LOVE this area. Thanks so much for creating it!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I'm not new to knives or Spyderco, but I did join this forum because of the new Mule Teams. I missed out on the older mules due to lack of fixed blade interest at the time, but managed to luck into finding the MT28 announcement in a fortuitous Google search, decided to join so I don't miss out on the next few MT announcements.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I actually did join the forum specifically because of the MT28. In early March I stopped by the Spyderco Outlet and walked out with my first Spyderco knives, a Salt Ladybug Hawkbill for the wife, a SE Dragonfly for myself, a Byrd Hawkbill, and an MT28. I loved the MT concept and I wanted to see what people were doing for scales for the MT so I joined. My BIL expressed an interest in knifemaking recently so within the week I was back at the Outlet buying him a MT too. I figure the MT would give him the opportunity to get his feet wet by knife building first. His birthday is coming up soon so I'll gift him the MT and we'll have some fun exploring handle options. I'm definitely going with removeable scales so I can do a minimalist paracord wrap in case I ever need an ultralight knife option.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

TazKristi wrote:
I would like to see more informations about future releases even if I understand that Spyderco needs to keep them until everything is set, but how to get an interest for mule #30 if we still don't know which steel it will be when mule #31 is going to be sold ?
I know the the Mule Team program is special but this lack of information is really special.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Tally-ho wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:15 pm
TazKristi wrote:
I would like to see more informations about future releases even if I understand that Spyderco needs to keep them until everything is set, but how to get an interest for mule #30 if we still don't know which steel it will be when mule #31 is going to be sold ?
I know the the Mule Team program is special but this lack of information is really special.
They are most likely having an issue somewhere in the pipeline. Maybe there's flaws in the first batch of steel maybe problems with heat treat There's endless possibilities to what's going on behind the scenes. I imagine they're not going to release the name until they are certain it will make it to market. It's happened before with rex-121, they had issues had shelved it. They decided to go with Maxamet instead. What's wrong with a company that doesn't want to make possible false promises?
Artvitel

Post by Artvitel »

I’ve joined this forum because of Mule Team project.
Few years ago I was lucky to buy MT24 Maxamet and it was love at first sign :). It is very ergonomic and useful knife for most of the knife job. Now I have one more MT28 with good balanced SPY27 steel.
I like to test different steels and the MT can make this happen.
Thank you for this unique opportunity
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I joined because the older forum got updated, back in 2003 or so :P

I am happy about this area of the forum - I dig the mules and enjoy conversations, but as the program is a little different and there are only so many mules out there, the discussions can get lost in the shuffle. Also, now, I can check this forum and hopefully know when a new model is going to be released so I'm not guessing (while I still love it and you folks, I'm definitely not on here as much as I was some time back). It's fun seeing new people get introduced to Spyderco and the mule team project which, as far as I know, is unique (not counting small count or one-offs by custom makers in new steels, these are affordable enough that most people with a real interest can participate - that's how I ended up getting my first two, the MT-05s as I made far less then).

I would certainly be interested in more DIY info, making sheaths/handles, reviews, testing, etc. This is a great start and as more people get involved I think it will be even better.

Thanks, Kristi
z1r

Post by z1r »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:25 pm
Tally-ho wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:15 pm
TazKristi wrote:
They are most likely having an issue somewhere in the pipeline. Maybe there's flaws in the first batch of steel maybe problems with heat treat There's endless possibilities to what's going on behind the scenes. I imagine they're not going to release the name until they are certain it will make it to market. It's happened before with rex-121, they had issues had shelved it. They decided to go with Maxamet instead. What's wrong with a company that doesn't want to make possible false promises?
Those are my thoughts as well. With all that has gone on the last year and with all the manufacturing issues that could present themselves, well, we're lucky to be seeing new models coming to fruition.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dragoon, Wisby,

Welcome to our forum.

sal