Mule Team Connections - Curiosity

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
izzoyournizzo

Re: Mule Team Connections - Curiosity

Post by izzoyournizzo »

The Mule Team forum definitely got me more interested in knifes and knife steels. I had a Spyderco knife but wasn't aware of the plethora of steels that Spyderco used. I'm now trying to collect as many MT knives as I can as well as other Spyderco knives. I just love the look and feel of the MT and it really inspired me to think of other ways I can fuse hobbies together (like 3d printing). I'm still trying to perfect my 3d printable MT handle I designed.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I did not join because of the Mule Team.

I joined because I collected Spyderco knives. But, the Mule Team program quickly became important to me as it was the entry-point (gateway drug? :p :p ) for me to start making knives. Practicing building handles and learning to work with a variety of handle materials on a blade worth the time and effort was just what I needed. This program provided me an opportunity to make progress while I began the slow process of accumulating the tools and skills I would need to make my own knives. I will forever be grateful for the Mule Team program.

This new section is great Kristi! Thank you! Prior to this, I found myself bouncing around and trying to keep track of all of these threads and it's really nice to have it all together.

I've seen some suggestion about pinning some sort of DIY or "How To" thread(s) here. I would just say that if you choose to pin any sort of "how-to" thread(s) here I will make an effort to add what I can to make them as helpful as possible and I would encourage others to do the same. It would be my hope that this would encourage more people to add their advice and also encourage more people to take the "plunge" for the first time and make their own..whatever..handle, kydex sheath, leather sheath, etc... Regardless of how exactly it's achieved, I do think any efforts to tailor this section more toward the DIY aspect of the Mule Team would be a good way to promote interest in the Mule Team and possibly even stimulate growth.

My suggestion if you want to consider pinning "how-to" threads would be 3 separate threads.
1. Handle assembly, shaping and attachment.
2. Kydex sheath making.
3. Leather sheath making.

Thank you once again for all the work you put into organizing this section. :)

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Xplorer wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:10 pm
I did not join because of the Mule Team.

I joined because I collected Spyderco knives. But, the Mule Team program quickly became important to me as it was the entry-point (gateway drug? :p :p ) for me to start making knives. Practicing building handles and learning to work with a variety of handle materials on a blade worth the time and effort was just what I needed. This program provided me an opportunity to make progress while I began the slow process of accumulating the tools and skills I would need to make my own knives. I will forever be grateful for the Mule Team program.

This new section is great Kristi! Thank you! Prior to this, I found myself bouncing around and trying to keep track of all of these threads and it's really nice to have it all together.

I've seen some suggestion about pinning some sort of DIY or "How To" thread(s) here. I would just say that if you choose to pin any sort of "how-to" thread(s) here I will make an effort to add what I can to make them as helpful as possible and I would encourage others to do the same. It would be my hope that this would encourage more people to add their advice and also encourage more people to take the "plunge" for the first time and make their own..whatever..handle, kydex sheath, leather sheath, etc... Regardless of how exactly it's achieved, I do think any efforts to tailor this section more toward the DIY aspect of the Mule Team would be a good way to promote interest in the Mule Team and possibly even stimulate growth.

My suggestion if you want to consider pinning "how-to" threads would be 3 separate threads.
1. Handle assembly, shaping and attachment.
2. Kydex sheath making.
3. Leather sheath making.

Thank you once again for all the work you put into organizing this section. :)

Chad
I'm definitely down for #1 & #2. Even #3 would be interesting and I'm sure, eventually useful, to me.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I would love to see Chad's guidance pinned to the top of this forum. Even more so because it would let us ask questions that would stay there, so he wouldn't have to repeat the same advice over and over and over for different people.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I joined due to Spyderco knives but would say I’m here for the Mule now.

More of a fixed blade guy now and the mule gives me the fixed blade in the size I am happy with.

Starting to make scales for them as a hobby.

A few members here are super helpful and have taught me a bit already
(and I’m happy to share my hardwood knowledge)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I joined because I asked the question, "What's the best pocket knife?" However, mule teams have kept me around. I've built skills in putting handles on, using kydex and leather, as well as learning to sharpen. I love the discussions and comparisons of steels as my tastes have become more refined.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

I haven't joined because of the Mule team sub-forum, I was a member of Spyderco forum already. But I like the mule team sub-forum too, very interesting and informative.

Thank you Kristi :)
Last edited by AlexRus on Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have been on the orignal forum for quite some time. It was there that I first learned about the mule team, but was late to the party and was only able to pick up the last 3 mules before the project was discontinued.

I was delighted when this forum was created and even more so when the project was reactivated. Thanks for both !!

I feel somewhat guilty as I think that I really should contribute somehow. I am making regular use of my SPY27 mule and am very impressed with it, but don't have anything substantive to offer, so haven't posted. What would I say other than "yeah, it is great". I have been trying to think of some kind of way to gauge and test ease of sharpening, but haven't settled on anything.

My view of this forum is that it serves two purposes. One is to return feedback to Spyderco as we use and test the different steels. The other is a place to discuss knife building skills (as some have called them). I have seen the amazing work some people here have done and shared and fully intend to try my own hand. I have been saying this for years, but I still intend to do so. Really!
sbdude

Post by sbdude »

Not a new member and joined because I had some Spyderco folders. Happened across the Mule Team stuff and was really interested but found out just after the MT program was shut down for a while. Wasn't real big into fixed blades anyway at that time. Kind of forgot about it and checked back here right before the SPY27 release but unfortunately didn't get one, work got in the way. Now I'm looking to make scales and sheaths and really back into the MT project.

Would like to see some more info about scales/handles and sheath-making here as suggested above for us guys just getting into this.

Thanks for having this forum, I've learned a lot.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sbdude,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:22 pm
Hey, everyone:
Thank you all for your participation in this new area of the forum. It's been awesome to watch. Reading through posts, and seeing new members, piqued my curiosity.

How many of you joined the forum because of the Mule Team?

If you aren't a new member, has this area helped to increase your interest in the Mule Team?

What else would you like to see in this area of the forum (specific to Mule Teams)?

Thanks for sharing your answers and your thoughts.

Kristi
Hi Kristi,

I’ve been around for a long time—more often a lurker than a poster. Because of my collection and his love of Spyderco knives, my 14 year old son has recently taken up forging and blacksmithing, which has really heightened his interest in all things knives—including mules and crafting his own scales from random bits of material he encounters and dredges up.

I’m excited about this forum because I’ve been toying with getting a mule forever, and now we both want one (Magnacut and/or Spy27 specifically).

I appreciate the dedicated home for modding, handles, watching for releases, and all the great discussions and tips I’ve found throughout the new forum.

Now...we wait to secure a couple of mules!

Ps: we visited the Golden store a couple years ago when we were on vacation to Colorado. He was 12 at the time. It’s still one his first answer to “what is something really cool that you’ve done?”

I think he would have died if he got to meet Sal. Same for me!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi GibsOn,

Interesting that your son is interested in knives and even forging at his young age. You might tell him that I forged for a while. Great learning experience. He sounds like one of those kids that gets hooked on the "edge" at an early age. I was like that and we meet similar kids sometimes at shows. What's his name?

Sorry i didn't get to meet you guys in Golden.

sal
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:44 pm
Hi GibsOn,

Interesting that your son is interested in knives and even forging at his young age. You might tell him that I forged for a while. Great learning experience. He sounds like one of those kids that gets hooked on the "edge" at an early age. I was like that and we meet similar kids sometimes at shows. What's his name?

Sorry i didn't get to meet you guys in Golden.

sal
Hi Sal!

His name is Samuel. He’s very much into creating with his hands. Started with legos, and as he got older it’s developed into making things people use—or that he’ll use. He wants to forge his own tools for blacksmithing, and he wants to make things other people can use.

This fall he’s enrolled in a sloyd-style school where all academics are taught via learning skilled craftsmanship.

He’s taken a few forging classes here in town from a couple for Forged in Fire winners who host several different forging related lessons.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have all except maybe two or three. I'm unsure. To be honest I'm so much a creature of habit I've been overlooking this part of the forum. This is the second time I've come to the mule section. I need to come here everyday now just to keep up. :)

We have been fortunate to have mule teams to try out and this section would have been great to have. Now we are seeing mules coming back this section is right on time. Thanks!

Joe
Worm

Post by Worm »

I joined because of the knowledge to be found around here, to share my passion for Spydercos,
to get my poll votes in ( :D) & to help others where I can.

Regarding Mule Team:
I like to personalize my knives by building / applying my own handles or simply assembling / modifying available pre-manufactured handles. And having different steels for different purposes.
The Mule Team is perfect for that.
In my opinion it is one of the best fixed blades (regarding weight, size, blade stock thickness) out there for my user preferences. I am happy to get release date announcements so I can finally hop on the Mule Team wagon.
Also because I like using and sharpening my knives.

I learned only last year that Mules are only sold by Spyderco directly. This might be an obstacle for others, especially outside the US.

I think Spyderco could do some profit in the future by offering higher numbers or a series Mule (I know already in planning; which is great) and some scale variations (like micarta scales). This way people could easily assemble & build their own Mule Team.
This might also be more price-attractive for many, I think, because Spyderco fixed blade knives are kind of significantly more expensive compared to the Mule.