Resin 3d printed scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Josh Crutchley

Resin 3d printed scales

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I just got done with a several hour print of mule scales. I used a Anycubic Photon Zero sla resin 3d printer. They're printed translucent blue. I still need to clean off the supports and drill holes bigger.
Attachments
20210406_125533-1.jpg
Thorne27

Re: Resin 3d printed scales

Post by Thorne27 »

Those are cool. I know nothing about 3D printing, but it always impresses me.
pcguy23

Post by pcguy23 »

very nice, should hold up better than PLA
Post a picture once you get them mounted please
pcguy23

Post by pcguy23 »

Even Resin printers take a while I guess
I'm used to my FDM printers taking hours
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I got some weird patterns on the back sides of the scales. I'm not sure if its the slicer or the printer causing it. They were printed vertical so I would expect perpendicular/horizontal lines not at some random angle. The same model was used for both sides just mirrored using the slicer(Chitubox). They will be sanded down on the back sides so it shouldn't be an issue. The fronts look like wood grain, almost like a fdm printer made it lying flat. The model was smooth in Fusion so I might try a different slicer. They should be a lot clearer when I'm done.
Attachments
20210406_132201~2-1.jpg
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Very nice, where did you find the STL, or did you draw it up? I was surprised I didn't see a model for mule scales already on Thingiverse, I'd like to turn some out on my Prusa for the next mules that I (hopefully) pick up.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Gtscotty wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:16 pm
Very nice, where did you find the STL, or did you draw it up? I was surprised I didn't see a model for mule scales already on Thingiverse, I'd like to turn some out on my Prusa for the next mules that I (hopefully) pick up.
I made it myself in Fusion. Heres the thread where you can find them.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=88877
pcguy23

Post by pcguy23 »

Nice work sir,
Thanks for posting the STL files,
I'll have to try printing this on my Ender
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I did some sanding last night. I also printed small centering pins to help test fit until I figure out mounting. I'm not sure if I should use another material or just print some 3/16 pin with the same resin.
Attachments
20210407_082252~3.jpg
20210407_082209~4.jpg
20210407_082239~2.jpg
pcguy23

Post by pcguy23 »

Looks very nice!
thanks for sharing
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I think this is amazing! The fact that a printer did most of the work absolutely blows my mind! :eek: I also like the look the semi-translucent look of the material. Nice work! :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Those look pretty kool!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Josh, can you print the pins as part of the scale, so that it's one solid piece through, and you don't have to drill into the outside?

You could put small receiver holes in the opposite scale to catch the pins, which would increase stability. And then you could make half the pins come from one side, and half from the other. You could even make a much larger number of pins than standard.

Heck, now I'm picturing a set of scales with built in 'pins' that snap onto the mule like a pair of legos. :)

Awesome work. I'm worried I'll get dragged down the 3d printing rabbit hole next (after I get out of the CNC rabbit hole). I really can't imagine being bored ever again...this knife hobby just keeps going deeper and deeper.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:49 am
Josh, can you print the pins as part of the scale, so that it's one solid piece through, and you don't have to drill into the outside?

You could put small receiver holes in the opposite scale to catch the pins, which would increase stability. And then you could make half the pins come from one side, and half from the other. You could even make a much larger number of pins than standard.

Heck, now I'm picturing a set of scales with built in 'pins' that snap onto the mule like a pair of legos. :)

Awesome work. I'm worried I'll get dragged down the 3d printing rabbit hole next (after I get out of the CNC rabbit hole). I really can't imagine being bored ever again...this knife hobby just keeps going deeper and deeper.
That's a great idea! They would look awesome with no hardware. How should mount the ones I already have? They have a few flaws so I don't want this set permanent. One side has a line of tiny bubbles down the center. I think that one wasn't perfectly vertical when printing.
Attachments
20210407_100051~3.jpg
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

Those look awesome. Resin printing is really somthing else. I've never tried it because I'm a bit wary of the fumes it puts off and I have a newborn in the house. Maybe one day. I use Cura for slicing myself but not sure if it works with resin printing.

I really like Tom's idea of built in hardware that one scale could click into the other. I might try my hand and design something like that as well.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

Yes, it's better to use a resin printer in an enclosure with fumes extraction or in a garage. Cura doesn't manage supports for resin printers yet, Prusa Slicer does but I'm using Chitubox (I'm pretty new and maybe there is a "better" option).
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Your translucent scales are way cool...your know-how and ability to make them, even more cool!!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:28 pm
How should mount the ones I already have?
Drill them for Gulso bolts. You're going to want to take them off and put on the next iteration, and the next, and the next, and you'll be unhappy with yourself if you permanently attach your first set to your Mule. Ask me how I know...
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:36 am
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:28 pm
How should mount the ones I already have?
Drill them for Gulso bolts. You're going to want to take them off and put on the next iteration, and the next, and the next, and you'll be unhappy with yourself if you permanently attach your first set to your Mule. Ask me how I know...
I need to order some where do you get them?
It's the only mule I have, I had no choice but to rip off the white g10 scales that were on it. Luckily I had an idea it might happen so I used a silicone glue instead of epoxy. They didn't get damaged so I'll use them again some day. For now I'm going to keep 3d printing them. I'm trying to figure out textures or some kind of design to try on a few. I have a Native 5 LW now and plan to model the scales next week.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am
Your translucent scales are way cool...your know-how and ability to make them, even more cool!!
Thanks! It's a lot easier than you think. There's a lot of information on the internet. I prefer videos that way I can watch step by step. It also helps I have a brother that's already pretty good at it.