Avoiding rust under a paracord handle wrap

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
P40

Avoiding rust under a paracord handle wrap

Post by P40 »

I just wanted to share my success on a recent project for a unhanded Mule Team blade.
We all have seen plenty of paracord wrapped ones, but I have something extra to share in case anyone else may benefit...

I was fortunate to obtain one of the MT28, CPM SPY27 knifes. I planned on doing a cord wrap since I am tapped on funds for handle materials right now. Once I got it, I decided I would pull the Halpern scales off a MT27 I have and use those temporarily. When I did, I noticed a very small bit of staining on the PD1 blade.

I then decided I wanted to wrap the PD1 instead. I thought coating the blade first may avoid any potential rust forming under the cordage in the long run. I didn't want to unwrap it down the road just to check. I had done this before on a different blade and not only liked the small amount of extra bulk, the edges give a more rounded feel.

I coated the blade first using some of the Plasti Dip products is all.
Note, if you just want as thin of a profile as possible, a few coats of the spray product below will do quite well and I included pics of what that looks like. I imagine if you simply did some spray paint it may accomplish the same thing.

End results
pic sp1.jpg
11.jpg
The spray on product and results before wrap
pic sp2.jpg
Then additional coats with the liquid product. This is after 3 dips. Notice the thicker results.
pic sp3.jpg
And "wrap action" shot after 3rd dip.
pic sp6.jpg

That's it. This is my first meaningful post here (I hope) and maybe it will help someone wanting to do the same. :cool: :spyder:
archangel

Re: Avoiding rust under a paracord handle wrap

Post by archangel »

Thanks, looks quite nice! Hopefully other forumites will chip in with their Plasti Dip experience.

This isn't 550 paracord, or is it? Looks very thin.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Plasti Dip is extremely durable stuff. Ive removed badges from my vehicles or trim pieces that were chrome that I wanted black and use Plasti Dip...It holds up with no damage/peeling/fading on any vehicles I've had, even going through the brutal Central New York winters we have here with all the salt on the roads.

There will be 0% chance of corrosion with a knife handle coated with it, I'll take that statement to the bank! ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I am interested in low cost options. Are you committed leaving that handle as is now, or could you reasonably remove it and put scales on later? Or, would you just slap scales over top?
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

P40 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:11 pm
I just wanted to share my success on a recent project for a unhanded Mule Team blade....

I like it! Very clever way of inhibiting rust and adding some cushion and grippiness. I may need to borrow your method in the future...Thanks!!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yeah, I'm inclined to try this as well.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:03 am
Thanks, looks quite nice! Hopefully other forumites will chip in with their Plasti Dip experience.

It can't possibly be 550 cord. As much trouble as I have getting two strands of 550 through one of those holes with no coating, the only way you could do it after all that plastisol would be by pulling all the core strands out.
P40

Post by P40 »

archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:03 am

Correct, it is 3/32 "Tether cordage" from Countycomm. However, I just checked, it looks like they no longer sell it.
I bet you can find something similar. I really like the texture and feel on the small diameter and single layer wrap. Also on the previous blade I wrapped, I used Atwood Micro cord which is smaller at 1.18mm. It also feels nice to the touch. Both give really good grip and texture and less bulky than 550.

It may not be obvious, but the plasti dip stuff, which feels like firm rubber, certainly helps to keep the cordage from slipping around. I stays in place very well compared to a bare metal handle. For that reason alone this stuff is GTG. I originally used the spray stuff on a Cold Steel walking cane because the plastic handle was slippery. It worked fantastic for non-slippage and I was surprised how durable it was once you add a few coats of it.
Last edited by P40 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
P40

Post by P40 »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:56 am
I am interested in low cost options. Are you committed leaving that handle as is now, or could you reasonably remove it and put scales on later? Or, would you just slap scales over top?
Right, good question. If you wanted to you could peel off the liquid dip coating later. I have peeled it off of a tool before and it came off clean. It might take some determination with all the holes in the Mule. I think the spray version would take more work to remove honestly. But I think it could be removed with some solvent easily. It's just not a thick layer like the dip is, which you can grab and rip off if you wanted.

The spray adds very little depth, that's how I would do it if I wanted to add scales on top. You can add multiple layers of the spray. Even then, it is hard to tell if it adds any thickness. In the past, I had contemplated spraying a layer on a different Mule before adding some Halpern scales. But, the scales were not black and I wasn't sure how it would look. You certainly could also add scales with the thicker dip product, as long as the dimensions of the scales still work since the dip adds some bulk.

This is the first time I did both spray and liquid dip. With all the holes in the Mule handle, I just wanted it to come out as perfect as possible. Lot's of drying time between any additional coats with either product. And LOTS of stirring of the liquid one for best results. ...Several minutes of slow stirring to avoid bubbles. With three coats of the liquid, it really starts to look good and it's very usable without cordage just like that. Imagine the rubber coating on a tool handle like pliers.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Great idea. I got an MT28 for my brother in law who is an avid hiker. I suspect he may want to try the para cord wrap to keeps things light weight. I'll make sure to point him to this thread.

I'm thinking wood scales for mine using screws so I can remove them and wrap in para cord should I want to lose an extra ounce, lol.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Frankly, I think you all worry way too much about rust. They're knives, not DaVinci paintings. They are made to be used, and eventually used up. Even with little to no care a simple cord wrapped Mule is going to outlast your interest in it.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

P40 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:55 pm
Correct, it is 3/32 "Tether cordage" from Countycomm. However, I just checked, it looks like they no longer sell it. I bet you can find something similar. I really like the texture and feel on the small diameter and single layer wrap. Also on the previous blade I wrapped, I used Atwood Micro cord which is smaller at 1.18mm. It also feels nice to the touch. Both give really good grip and texture and less bulky than 550.

I noticed that the local Michael's ... or was it Hobby Lobby.... had lots of interesting nylon cord options that were smaller in diameter than 550.