Poll: CPM MagnaCut

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Would you be interested in a mule in CPM MagnaCut?

Yes, I would be interested in 1
21%
Yes, I would be interested in 2
29%
I am in the United States
41%
I am not in the United States
9%

Total votes: 602

AlexRus

Re: Poll: CPM MagnaCut

Post by AlexRus »

Maybe I should try to get two? :)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

You've all probably seen this graphic but it's worth a repost IMO. Notice how Larrinite breaks through the stainless barrier (blue) and makes it into the tool steel class (orange). Talk about punching above its weight! About the same edge retention as SPY27 & XHP but with double the toughness. My goodness sakes.
Attachments
toughness-edge-retention-5-9-2021.jpg
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Extremely stainless 4V! If Larrin would have told me he was going to make a steel that performed like 4V and was stainless as M390 I'm afraid to say my response might have been something politely condescending...like "ok...sure ;) ..good luck with that :rolleyes: ". What he actually achieved is monumental and IMHO sets a new bar by which all new knife steels will be compared.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Bolster wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:19 pm
You've all probably seen this graphic but it's worth a repost IMO. Notice how Larrinite breaks through the stainless barrier (blue) and makes it into the tool steel class (orange). Talk about punching above its weight! About the same edge retention as SPY27 & XHP but with double the toughness. My goodness sakes.
Saved the graphic)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Xplorer wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:41 am
Extremely stainless 4V! If Larrin would have told me he was going to make a steel that performed like 4V and was stainless as M390 I'm afraid to say my response might have been something politely condescending...like "ok...sure ;) ..good luck with that :rolleyes: ". What he actually achieved is monumental and IMHO sets a new bar by which all new knife steels will be compared.

Agree, and I'm sorta at odds with how to proceed with knife purchases just now. There are plently I'd like to own, but I value toughness and stainless, so I'm squarely a MagnaCut target. I'm keeping my powder dry for now (but making exceptions for mules). Anybody else having the Larrinite dilemma? It kinda withers my interest in other stainless steels, at least for the time being...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:46 pm
Xplorer wrote:

Agree, and I'm sorta at odds with how to proceed with knife purchases just now. There are plently I'd like to own, but I value toughness and stainless, so I'm squarely a MagnaCut target. I'm keeping my powder dry for now (but making exceptions for mules). Anybody else having the Larrinite dilemma? It kinda withers my interest in other stainless steels, at least for the time being...
I agree on the Magnacut dilemma, but I wonder how long it will be before we start to see production levels of this new steel? I suspect it will be two years or longer as they are pretty well invested in producing S30V, S35VN, S45VN. Most other makers will balk at any change in steels they are used to using. Spyderco will make the jump, but still have to use up the steels they already own.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:13 am
Bolster wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:46 pm
Xplorer wrote:

I agree on the Magnacut dilemma, but I wonder how long it will be before we start to see production levels of this new steel? I suspect it will be two years or longer as they are pretty well invested in producing S30V, S35VN, S45VN. Most other makers will balk at any change in steels they are used to using. Spyderco will make the jump, but still have to use up the steels they already own.
I agree, except I'm not so sure about Spyderco switching over anytime soon, they did just make an investment into their own SPY27 house brand. I think we'll see customs in MC in the next year, and production folders proliferate in the next 2-3.... I'm not cancelling any of my planned knife buys in the short term.

I will say, I really hope they run MC hard in production blades, 63-64 HRC. Comparing the CATRA and toughness charts that seems to be where it is really going to Rock. Down around 60-61 where I'm afraid the production companies will stick this steel, it seems like a good option, but more one dimensional, and not as stand out from already established S35VN (although it is tougher, S35VN already seems tough enough for most folder uses).
BSBP70

Post by BSBP70 »

1... US
BlueshirtBrownpants
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Gtscotty makes some good points. For anyone thinking of holding off on knife purchases until Magna-Cut knives show up, you might be waiting quite a while.

A couple of points to consider...

1. The first pour of Magna-Cut is done and sold out. So, even if Spyderco wanted to buy a bunch they will have to wait until the next pour at a minimum.
2. The testing and setting up for heat treat of a new steel will take them some time. Probably many, many months.
3. Then, production would begin, which also takes considerable time.

If they were to "fast track" Magna-Cut into an existing model it would likely be Spring 2022 or later before we get to buy one.

4. New knife models often take well more than a year to work through the system and more likely around 2 years from the time Spyderco "green-lights" the project to the time we get to buy the knife. I would suggest that we probably won't see any new Spyderco models using Magna-Cut until 2023.

The Mule is the only Magna-Cut knife we might be able to see from Spyderco more quickly and even that one won't be any time soon.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well... I had no plans to buy stainless knives except maybe a new Salt. As a cruwear fan, I’ll bolo for cruwear, Z-wear, and eventually MagnaCut.

Bring forth the MagnaCarta Millie!!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Xplorer wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:39 am
If they were to "fast track" Magna-Cut into an existing model it would likely be Spring 2022 or later before we get to buy one...I would suggest that we probably won't see any new Spyderco models using Magna-Cut until 2023.

I think Homer would say: "No Magna Cutta until 2023? D'oh, how am I supposed to cut my bagels until then?"
Attachments
Homer D'oh.jpeg
Homer D'oh.jpeg (15.45 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Bolster wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:04 pm
Xplorer wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:39 am
If they were to "fast track" Magna-Cut into an existing model it would likely be Spring 2022 or later before we get to buy one...I would suggest that we probably won't see any new Spyderco models using Magna-Cut until 2023.
I think Homer would say: "No Magna Cutta until 2023? D'oh, how am I supposed to cut my bagels until then?"
No bagels until 2023! :D
Mulemaster

Post by Mulemaster »

2 for the Uk please 🤗
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

I may be late to the poll, here, but I’d definitely be in for two. I live in the US. Mike
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

So any updates if and when a MangaCut Mule might happen? The more I read about it the more excited I get.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mulemaster,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Voted 2, outside US
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Yokohama

Post by Yokohama »

Yes 2 please, in the U.S. Love that steel! Keep up the great work Spyderco!

Thanks,
Aaron
DirtyFulke

Post by DirtyFulke »

I'd totally be in for 2 if they were available. From CO, USA, Earth
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear DirtyFulke:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,