Might there be an AEB-L mule someday?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Might there be an AEB-L mule someday?

Post by Bolster »

...or am I the only one who wants an AEB-L bodied mule?

Larrin says a form of AEB has been around since 1928! and AEB-L is a mid-1960s steel. I'm mostly interested in its toughness, up to 40 ft lbs, depending. Wow, what a stainless steel! Although it looks like Larrinite (sorry, Mondo-Cut) is not far behind.
sal

Re: Might there be an AEB-L mule someday?

Post by sal »

Hi Bolster,

Like everything in business, there is a demand for a "thing" and then there is a supply for that "thing. We made an Urban in AEB-L. There's not been many requests for the steel that is considered by many to be modern in a horse & buggy.

I'll watch.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd be in for a at least one. Make the heat treat like Devon Thomas or Larrin recommends and it will perform above its price point and remain affordable.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:31 am
Like everything in business, there is a demand for a "thing" and then there is a supply for that "thing. We made an Urban in AEB-L. There's not been many requests for the steel that is considered by many to be modern in a horse & buggy.

Ah. Two good points. Well, I'm a bit retro myself, so...maybe I should just get with the times. Maybe JR and I are the only two interested in AEB-L, thus the ask. Let's blame Larrin, it was his article that got me interested...

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/03/04/all-about-aeb-l/
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I personally don't care much about the mules, but AEB-L is one I REALLY want to see in some production folders. I honestly think there would be a lot of interest in it if you pair it with Micarta. It is used extensively in the fixed blade world. OD Green Micarta paired with AEB-L would be an easy sell out in the Shaman, PM2, Manix XL, Manix, etc. I'd love to see it in Seki models like the Endela and Endura as well.

If I win the lottery I will become a dealer and start exclusive families of AEB-L/Micarta and 3V/Micarta knives! Wish me luck! :D

I should have this set of semi-custom (I chose the matte burlap micarta scales, snakeskin micarta liners, light mountain finish, and thumb scallops...the AEB-L blanks are standard) AEB-L Kitchen knives (plus a smaller paring knife not in the pic) any day now if LT Wright can hurry up and get it shipped to me! :)

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SC,-

Those are nice looking pieces. Let us know how you like them? Did you get any of the AEB-L Urban's?

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy an AEB-L mule. Two, actually. But I can't see it coming in less than $50, and at that price I'd rather have Spy-27 for a user than AEB-L. And AEB-L isn't going to create an instant sell out frenzy.

Anyway, I'd buy it. Not sure how many other people would.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sal, how about a Spyderco take on a Kephart style knife in AEB-L, thin and slicey, playing to AEB-L’s strengths? But start with a mule, please!
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:59 pm
Hi SC,-

Those are nice looking pieces. Let us know how you like them? Did you get any of the AEB-L Urban's?

sal

Thanks Sal, once they get here and I get to put them through the paces I will provide some feedback. I didn't get the Urban as I am not a fan of slippies. But put some AEB-L in any of the FRN Seki knives I love and I will buy them for sure. I really think an AEB-L in OD Green Micarta would do you well in any of the models I mentioned. I hope you will consider it and I will be the first in line to buy it!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

There is also always the possibility that one of the exclusive buyers will pick up on the chatter and go for it. We believe they watch this forum for interest.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:03 pm
I'd buy an AEB-L mule. Two, actually. But I can't see it coming in less than $50, and at that price I'd rather have Spy-27 for a user than AEB-L. And AEB-L isn't going to create an instant sell out frenzy.

Anyway, I'd buy it. Not sure how many other people would.

Good point, I agree. But this could also be an advantage - a Mule that does not sell out in 10 minutes, could be a Mule Team door opener for newbies for a few weeks or months. It will sell out eventually.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:20 am
There is also always the possibility that one of the exclusive buyers will pick up on the chatter and go for it. We believe they watch this forum for interest.

sal
Exclusive buyers can order Mules to be produced?

Edit: Typo
Last edited by JRinFL on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
archangel

Post by archangel »

Nah, I'm pretty sure Sal meant any non-MT, folding :spyder: - maybe the 48th version of a Para3 in AEB-L, or another Micarta Shaman... ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:39 am
Nah, I'm pretty sure Sal meant any non-MT, folding :spyder: - maybe the 48th version of a Para3 in AEB-L, or another Micarta Shaman... ;)
Makes sense. My hope is for a Spyderco fixed blade in AEB-L. I doubt we will see any of these with Larrinite/Magnacut on the horizon.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:52 am
Makes sense. My hope is for a Spyderco fixed blade in AEB-L.

Agree with JR...I think AEB-L's strong points are more likely to shine in a fixed blade, don't you? I've always thought of toughness as something of an afterthought on small folders. Maybe a big folder would benefit from AEB-L but I think this steel "wants" to be in a fixie.

At BF I'm seeing comparisons being drawn between AEB-L and the new Larrinite, as if MagnaCut were an extension of AEB-L.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:20 am

sal

Sure, but was hoping for a Mule, and that's a Spyderco-direct exclusive, no? Dealers can't spec a mule, can they? (EDIT: D'oh, JR beat me to the question, just noticed.)
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:15 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:52 am
Makes sense. My hope is for a Spyderco fixed blade in AEB-L.

Agree with JR...I think AEB-L's strong points are more likely to shine in a fixed blade, don't you? I've always thought of toughness as something of an afterthought on small folders. Maybe a big folder would benefit from AEB-L but I think this steel "wants" to be in a fixie.

At BF I'm seeing comparisons being drawn between AEB-L and the new Larrinite, as if MagnaCut were an extension of AEB-L.
Agreed on the fixed blades. It is what I would want if I lived I in coastal Maine, Canada, or similar. Or, you know, if you are bit lax on maintenance sometimes...like me. :o
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:39 pm

SC, those are stunningly beautiful. Enjoy!!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:31 am
Hi Bolster,

I'll watch.

sal
Sal, the AEB-L needs to be run harder for it to really show it's capability.

At 59-60rc it's not very pronounced,

The steel becomes noticably different at 62-63 and is pretty impressive at 64-65.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’m in for two! I❤️MULES!