Past Mule Teams

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
z1r

Re: Past Mule Teams

Post by z1r »

Can't wait for #29!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Hmmm. I guess it pays to be prompt. I never had any trouble getting mine, but I also have the SFO on speed dial. :D It actually takes longer to order online than it did to call in.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I think it’d be great to reissue some of the past Mules specially those in current production popular models which should also keep the price down ($50 for Spy27, S45VN & Z-Max). Additionally, I’d even do Mules of Spyderco’s two most popular steels, that is, VG-10 & S30V, so that people can practice handles and sharpening at even lower costs.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My memory may be failing, but I don't recall many of the past Mules being that inexpensive. Reissues would likely be even more expensive than the originals since not many prices have been going down over the years. The only savings I can see as possible would be steels in current production, since they presumably have them on hand and already know how to work them. But to satisfy demand, they would have to go into regular production, with regular distribution and regular markups. So much for keeping the price down.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Even if the price wasn't $50 but $70, the past two mules would have sold out in a day. I agree that any reissue would probably increase costs. But I see very little risk for Spyderco to increase the number of future mules per run, if they order the equivalent of more steel. Increase by a few hundred, not necessarily double them. Make it 700pcs, like it used to be for some mules. And if the 700 still sell out in a day, make the next run 800pcs.

Frankly speaking, if 500pcs sell out in an hour or so, like the last two, I don't really think that you would have stock for long if you produced not 500 but 1000. Going up from 500 to 700 seems a very low risk...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I'd love a shot at past Mules. I just came onto the scene last year and the Mule Team was suspended and none were available on the SFO and felt I missed out on something special. Now that it is up and running again, I feel some public renewed interest the MT. It seems the Mule Forum has less activity between releases and it ebbs and flows as new Mules are released. Having access to past Mules might keep the attention and activity constant.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I can understand the lower numbers before more in future. The mule team slowed up significantly from early days and even stopped. Stopping got everyone excited again and wanting it back.
Shows Spyderco listen to us here and great for them for invigorating the continuation. Will take a few mules before numbers can be bumped up as Sal said the next 6 (4 now) where all pre organised.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
David R

Post by David R »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:30 am
MT01 - Steel: 52100 | Released: January 2008 | Quantity: Approximately 600
MT02 - Steel: CPM M4 | Released: October 2008 | Quantity: Approximately 600
MT03 - Steel: CPM S90V | Released: February 2009 | Quantity: Approximately 700
MT04 - Steel: ZDP-189 | Released: July 2009 | Quantity: Approximately 500
MT05 - Steel: 9Cr18Mo | Released: October 2009 | Quantity: Approximately 1,000
MT06 - Steel: CPM S35VN | Released: January 2010 | Quantity: Approximately 500
MT07 - Steel: Damascus/VG-10 | Released: October 2010 | Quantity: Approximately 600
MT08 - Steel: Aogami Super Blue | Released: December 2010 | Quantity: Approximately 600
MT09 - Steel: Cobalt Special | Released: February 2011 | Quantity: Approximately 600
MT10 - Steel: CTS BD1 | Released: June 2010 | Quantity: Approximately 500
MT11 - Steel: M390 | Released: June 2011 | Quantity: Approximately 600
MT12 - Steel: Cru-Wear | Released: September 2011 | Quantity: Approximately 800
MT13 - Steel: Elmax | Released: February 2012 | Quantity: Approximately 500
MT15 - Steel: CTS B75P | Released: September 2012 | Quantity: Approximately 400
MT16 - Steel: CTS XHP | Released: December 2012 | Quantity: Approximately 700
MT17 - Steel: K390 | Released: July 2013 | Quantity: Approximately 700
MT18 - Steel: CPM S110V | Released: February 2014 | Quantity: Approximately 800
MT19 - Steel: PSF27 | Released: August 2014 | Quantity: Approximately 800
MT20 - Steel: CTS B70P | Released: February 2015 | Quantity: Approximately 800
MT21 - Steel: CPM 4V | Released: October 2015 | Quantity: Approximately 700
MT22 - Steel: RWL 34 | Released: April 2016 | Quantity: Approximately 800
MT23 - Steel: CPM 20CV | Released: December 2016 | Quantity: Approximately 700
MT24 - Steel: Maxamet | Released: August 2016 | Quantity: Approximately 700
MT25 - Steel: LC200N | Released: April 2017 | Quantity: Approximately 800
MT26 - Steel: Micro-Melt A11 (PMA11) | Released: August 2017 | Quantity: Approximately 700
MT27 - Steel: Micro-Melt PD#1 | Released: October 2017 | Quantity: Approximately 800
MT28 - Steel: CPM SPY27 | Released: February 2021 | Quantity: Approximately 500
MT31- Steel: CPM S45VN | Released: April 2021 | Quantity: Approximately 500
This is a good list. I think this should be maintained in a Wiki so others can contribute additional info. I have thickness measurements, finish, thickness behind the edge info I could add. There is the SpydieWiki, but it's unfortunately not editable. (What is the point of a non-editable public Wiki?).

If I get motivated maybe I'll create a new Wiki page for Mules that can be referenced from the Sypderco Wiki page.
David R

Post by David R »

Glock27 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:39 pm
Kristi,
Would it be possible to easily list dates that each went out of stock? Some took years, while others lasted minutes!
Thanks,
G27
I don't know about the early ones. LC200N, A11, RWL34, PD#1, and B70P were available for a long time. I bought all of these from Spyderco within the last 3 years. Many times on BF people would ask how to get a Mule and I would reply with "spyderco.com." I'm surprised how long off these were available, particularly A11 and PD#1, which seem to still be under-valued.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

There is a page for Mule Teams on SpydieWiki. Just needs to be updated.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=MT_Mule_Team
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

David R wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:29 am
This is a good list. I think this should be maintained in a Wiki so others can contribute additional info. I have thickness measurements, finish, thickness behind the edge info I could add. There is the SpydieWiki, but it's unfortunately not editable. (What is the point of a non-editable public Wiki?).

If I get motivated maybe I'll create a new Wiki page for Mules that can be referenced from the Sypderco Wiki page.
Hi, David R:
We took over Spydiewiki in 2019. We made good progress during the first year, but 2020 brought about some challenges. We're working on updates and determining some best practices to continue moving forward and build it out.

As RamZar said, there is a page for the Mule Team already, so we would prefer that you not start another Wiki. In the meantime, if you'd like to submit content for Spydiewiki, please e-mail that to techsupport@spyderco.com and it will be forwarded to the appropriate person for updates. Please keep in mind that we are a small team, and not everything submitted will be posted for various reasons.

We appreciate your interest and continued support!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
David R

Post by David R »

Hi Kristi,

The issue for me is that the SpydieWiki isn't a wiki. It's now a company web page. The whole point of a wiki is collaborative editing and contribution. Wiki's are often created to fill the information gaps that can't be met without informal collaboration.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

David R wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:09 pm
Hi Kristi,

The issue for me is that the SpydieWiki isn't a wiki. It's now a company web page. The whole point of a wiki is collaborative editing and contribution. Wiki's are often created to fill the information gaps that can't be met without informal collaboration.
Hi, David R:
I hear what you're saying. We're working on some possible ways to bring collaboration back into Spydiewiki, but we've got a lot of projects in the works. Bear with us as we find new ways to evolve Spydiewiki.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

Is there any chance for a former mule being re-released?

I love to experience new steels and am looking for a knife with cobalt special. I see this was released in the past MT09 Cobalt Special. I would love if this was re-released so that I can buy this steel.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Alexander135 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:10 am

I love to experience new steels and am looking for a knife with cobalt special. I see this was released in the past MT09 Cobalt Special. I would love if this was re-released so that I can buy this steel.

Sorry, but no. Many have asked this. Any MT is a one-time-production thing....
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:32 pm
Hmmm. I guess it pays to be prompt. I never had any trouble getting mine, but I also have the SFO on speed dial. :D It actually takes longer to order online than it did to call in.
Were you able to get a Zmax mule by calling in?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I didn't try it by phone, I was able to get through online. I stopped counting after 7 time out errors, but I finally got through.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

archangel wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:52 am
Alexander135 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:10 am

Sorry, but no. Many have asked this. Any MT is a one-time-production thing....
I wouldn't say never when I asked Sal about reruns of older mules he didn't say no.
sal wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:55 pm
Hi Josh,

The project is a new concept and we really don't have any set rules that would apply to normal production. We made them and make them for users. They were never intended to be collector pieces. So we're open to all suggestions. The goal is to learn about blade steels and we've included you as "Real-World-Testers".

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Well, it hasn't happened yet, not with any of the 30 MTs....
Michael
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hopeful, the straight spine Mule Team 28 Spy27 turns into a regular production piece.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)