Y’all hear about this new mule to be?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Y’all hear about this new mule to be?

Post by Fireman »

From the new stainless steel thread about Larrin’s new steel that the name has yet to be released...
Fingers crossed for the name to be Larrinium
sal wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:25 am
Hi Larrin,

Conrats on the new blend. You know us, we've already ordered a batch for a Mule Team. Great time for Steel Junky's.

sal
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bolster

Re: Y’all hear about this new mule to be?

Post by Bolster »

Yeah, baby. I'm really looking forward to the new Larrinium Mule. Count me IN.
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:01 pm
archangel wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:25 am
sal wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:25 am
Hi Larrin,

Conrats on the new blend. You know us, we've already ordered a batch for a Mule Team. Great time for Steel Junky's.

sal

Sal, pretty please, make much more than 500 .....
We'll make all we get for a Mule Team. I don't know how much will be sent to us. Maybe Larrin can convince them to send us a bunch?

sal
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
hijinxtx

Post by hijinxtx »

Yeah! Ready for two!
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

Yes, I'm so excited. Saw BBB's video on it and since I've been watching for the next releases here in the mule team sub, I totally missed the conversation on it. I'm extremely excited for the mule and can't wait for production. Love me some new steel
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Larrin announces MondoCut...no, MegaCut...um, MagnaCut here:

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Fingers crossed for MT30 to be in CPM-MaxiCut @ 63 hrc, seems like really interesting stuff.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I'm in
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

Do we post here to reserve one?!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I can't imagine what the feeding frenzy will be when this drops. I'll definitely be hitting 'refresh' frantically.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It's going to need at least a 5000 piece initial order just to meet this forum's demand! I kid, but ...
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Actually, there is a very limited amount being made. We ordered what was offered, but I don't think it will be near enough to meet the demand. No sure how we're going to handle this.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:05 pm
Actually, there is a very limited amount being made. We ordered what was offered, but I don't think it will be near enough to meet the demand. No sure how we're going to handle this.

sal
Circle the wagons, Sal. It’s going to get rough!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:21 pm
Circle the wagons, Sal. It’s going to get rough!

I'm second in line after JR! Here Sal take my money--just return the change, if any! (Heaving a wad of bills from So Calif toward Golden CO)
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hey Sal,

With a limited # of new Mules coming out, I would suggest handling it like you handle the rest of your business. Shiny Foot Prints.

Through the forum;
You know the people that have backed Spyderco and supported your products, put them on the list.
You know the people that are really using your products, creatively, or doing reviews and testing, or posting up their experiences, put them on the list.
You know the forum users that have been with you for a long long time, put them on the list.
You know the forum users that have contributed with photos for the photo contest topic, pick out the winners, put them on the list.
You know the forum users that have volunteered to make the forum better, put them on the list.
You and your staff know, from Blade Shows and other conventions, people who are really behind what you do, put them on the list.
You know there are people outside of USA that support Spyderco and have little chance of winning a race to the checkout, put them on the list.
You know the people who were supporting the Mule Team when everyone else thought it was dead, put them on the list.

You all ready know enough people who really deserve an opportunity to get a MagnaCut Mule. Do not make it exclusive. Make it by invite. Has invite only, been done in the knife industry before? Inviting your target audience to participate feels way nicer than being exclusive. If it is still too many people, draw their names from a hat.

Capitalist exclusivity sucks. I live in a remote area with a garbage internet connection. I have never won a race to the check out yet. I am most likely not going to be able to take the time off work to refresh a page and hope to win. I can not enter the Mule race while at work. I do not have computer tech knowledge to make my computer do it better. I suspect there are more people like me out there that do not want to feel excluded but understand why we would not be invited.

For me personally, the Shiny Foot Prints model sucks too. I have contributed to the forum as a part of my own hobby and for fun, not really to back Spyderco. I am new to the forum. I use knives but I am not particularly creative. I am 97.3% computer illiterate so you will not see me posting pictures of how I have used a Mule.(I'll use the heck out of it to be sure, but I still can't figure out how to do quotations here, so...) So, I know I am not your target audience for cutting edge steel. I know I can wait it out.

You and your team already know who really deserves a chance. Do not fear the appearance of "dictating" who may access your supply. We all can see that you are a "Stand Up Guy." Follow the shiny foot prints. MagnaCut Mules deserve to be in the hands of those who are, "Creating, Testing, Edge-u-cating."
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Please, put me in the list😂
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

ykspidiefan,
Just FYI - we try to avoid politics here, that probably includes politicized economic systems. Just something to watch for - we've had some arguments flare up that tend to cause animosity, blow threads up, etc. Just a friendly heads up - same goes for religion though you didn't address that.

Re: shiny footprints, I think you may have misinterpreted what that means. it means we don't slam other knife companies, even if we strongly disagree with their practices. This is for a similar reason as the politics and religion rules - to keep from getting embroiled in nasty arguments and to keep the forum a good place for productive discussion.

I understand it can be difficult, even with good internet service and a quick machine, to land some of the more exclusive/smaller runs, as this one will be.

You added some thoughtful suggestions that are likely to be considered - I trust the good folks at Spyderco to make the best decision they can about how to handle this. I would love to try one of these but recognize that there are numerous reasons why other people either are a better choice or should have the same opportunity as me, which would lessen my chances of getting one but there's no perfect answer that gives everyone what they want. Still, some good ideas about how to get these out to the right folks.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

defenestrate wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:18 pm
ykspidiefan,
Just FYI - we try to avoid politics here, that probably includes politicized economic systems. Just something to watch for - we've had some arguments flare up that tend to cause animosity, blow threads up, etc. Just a friendly heads up - same goes for religion though you didn't address that.

Re: shiny footprints, I think you may have misinterpreted what that means. it means we don't slam other knife companies, even if we strongly disagree with their practices. This is for a similar reason as the politics and religion rules - to keep from getting embroiled in nasty arguments and to keep the forum a good place for productive discussion.

I understand it can be difficult, even with good internet service and a quick machine, to land some of the more exclusive/smaller runs, as this one will be.

You added some thoughtful suggestions that are likely to be considered - I trust the good folks at Spyderco to make the best decision they can about how to handle this. I would love to try one of these but recognize that there are numerous reasons why other people either are a better choice or should have the same opportunity as me, which would lessen my chances of getting one but there's no perfect answer that gives everyone what they want. Still, some good ideas about how to get these out to the right folks.

I was going to say that it sucks that ykspidiefan thinks things suck that I think rule (channeling Beavis and Butthead here) but Mr. Out-The-Window said it so much better, that it would suck if I tried to say it.

I don't think Sal or Spyderco in general need help distributing the goodies. They've got lots of practice, and they will find an unsucky way to do it.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Bolster.

Actually I have been stressing this. I spoke with Eric and he ordered a much larger amount than they offered. We don't know yet if they're accepted the order.

I know that SPY27 really caught us off guard. Did not expect such demand for a new steel.

We would want to be sure to do the right thing the right way. We owe to Crucible for sure, and Niagara. These Two company's have been working with us for a long time and its a good relationship. They do good work. Good companies.

I think we owe it to Larrin, for his effort in creating the blend and his attention to our forum. I don't know how many forums he can spread out to, but I'm sure his time, like yours and mine, is limited. We are fortunate to be among those with whom he shares his passion.

We owe it to our long time loyal customers and Steel Junky's to get it to you. All of the suggestions we've received since the SPY27 offering have been valuable. It has been mentioned that we should try some type of "poll".

SSssooo, I need for someone to set up a poll for those that are sure they are interested in getting Larrin's Mule Team or 2. What I need is a post saying "I want 1 or I want 2 and also post on the poll graph. I need a way to tell if you are not in the US, maybe a bold or ? We have brothers and sisters all over the globe and it is really my responsibility to try to serve them as well.

Kristi can help me with this research. After all, she is the one that set up this sub-forum and all of the work that went into it. She's not gonna let me screw it up. We can sort this so we can avoid as much disappointment as possible. The total will give us some sort of "Gauge", rough, but better than nothing. A new thread so as not to confuse it with others on the subject. Thanx much.

The goal is to get one to every one that wants one.

sal
Davidspeed13

Post by Davidspeed13 »

I didn’t find out about and start ordering mules till you were already in the 20s models. I’m definitely interested in 2-3 of any future mule team knives as they come out. The Spy27 mule drop caught me off guard badly. I’d gotten accustomed to mules dropping on Monday mornings. I do have one Spy27 mule headed my way thanks to the outstanding customer service provided by Spyderco. I owe a huge thank you to Candi at Spyderco. My favorite two mules that I’ve gotten my hands on so far are the LC200N and PM A11. I use the LC200N when I go scuba diving and it handles extreme saltwater exposure like a champ. I gave a PM A11 mule to a Master Sushi Chef buddy. He knows his steels and considers PM A11 to be the best he’s ever handled. He uses that mule on a daily basis for breaking down fish at his restaurant. His primary sushi knife now is a custom made knife in K390, since that was the closest steel that we could find a custom maker working with at the time. I’d really love to see more Spyderco knives in PM A11. Again, a huge shout out to Candi and all the other great people at Spyderco.