Mule Team for Sale online... scam?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Jkat

Mule Team for Sale online... scam?

Post by Jkat »

There are several websites advertising Mule teams for as cheap as 36 bucks. But they don't seem too legit. They seem like they're the same company- even in the "About us" they say "we're a fashion website".

Seems like a scam, or maybe a counterfeit?

Have any of you bought these?
TomAiello

Re: Mule Team for Sale online... scam?

Post by TomAiello »

That doesn't sound right.

Spyderco doesn't sell Mules to dealers so anyone who bought them paid full retail ($50). There's no way they could be selling authentic Mules for $36.

They are probably counterfeits.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Jkat wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:13 pm
There are several websites advertising Mule teams for as cheap as 36 bucks. But they don't seem too legit. They seem like they're the same company- even in the "About us" they say "we're a fashion website".

Hi, Jkat:
Could you please send me a private message with links to these sites? I'd like to review them.

It's important to remember that Mule Team knives are ONLY available through the Spyderco Factory Outlet store. We do not sell Mules through our normal distribution channels. Certainly, anything being sold for less than the price on our website is highly suspect.

I would strongly recommend against purchasing anything as you've described.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I saw these too when I was looking for MT28 info, looks pretty scammy.

https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-mule-te ... el-handle/
Last edited by Gtscotty on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

A relevant post on BF about known knife scam sites:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kni ... s.1656740/

Some folks are sent a scarf instead of a knife. Well, that's pretty close, right?

Then this: "I received two knives in the mail that appear to be Spyderco counterfeits..."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:09 pm
I saw these two when I was looking for MT28 info, looks pretty scammy.

https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-mule-te ... el-handle/
Knifeworks is a legitimate Spyderco dealer. I've bought _many_ knives (easily over a thousand dollars retail price) from them over the years.

I'm not sure what that listing on their web site is, but I really doubt they'll have any to sell, and there's no way they'll sell them for that price.

If I had to guess, they just sent the reveal to their web designer to put up new listing based on their normal markdown from MAP, and somehow it didn't get communicated to that person that the Mules wouldn't be sold to dealers.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

My money is that someone was looking over the factory site or maybe testing a script that copies out info on different models and applies a standard markdown percentage as likely works to set up other models - pulls description and specs from the factory site so as to cutdown on human error and time-consuming data entry. And somebody accidentally set it to pull the info from this model without realziing that KW doesn't get mules.

KW is and has been known legitimate for a long time. I think this is an honest error, or simply testing a script.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Jkat wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:13 pm

As this question relates to the example, of the 'later in the thread' (Gtscotty) Knife Works example/link. Knife Works is a fantastic Dealer, and I am absolutely sure of three things.

#1 - Kristie will have a talk with them about their mistake (KW).

#2 - TomAiello and defenestrate are spot on with their answers. It was some kind of freak accident.

#3 - Spyderco directly, is the only place to order these first hand. Later, some will become available on sites like eBay, but they sure won't be sold for anything close to this low of a price. Plus, this knife has not even been released, yet.

All examples should be sent to Kristie, to be taken care of. :spyder: