Harnessing the Mules

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
ykspydiefan

Harnessing the Mules

Post by ykspydiefan »

Currently, there are some good options to get a handle on a Mule. I have been thinking about how to harness some Mules together and form a team that can really pull some weight. I do have a variety of knife steels but I am, like many of us here, keen to have a number of Mules in the stable and be able to evaluate and learn using the same Mule platform.

I would like to see a Mule Team Harness Package, or some other name that implies a testing pack. Spy 27 would be the lead Mule of course, then one stainless and one stainable(high carbon or otherwise.) In a way it could get every, want to learn guy like me, on to a similar page with those who have been filling their stables for years. Not the same page just a good standard, get the Mules pulling in the same direction.

I understand archived product is not coming back soon. But when it does, what two other knives could/should be used as a standard mule to test with? Currently, the take what you can get method works but it does not really harness the power of the team. Or, what other 2 knifes would you like to see in the pipeline to produce a standardized test package?

In a way, a Mule Team Harness Pack should come with the option to include the Sharp Maker too.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
standy99

Re: Harnessing the Mules

Post by standy99 »

You can sample the mules with comparison to steels in other Spyderco knives than the Mule.

Understand your theory but think it would be hard to keep enough to make and sell a mule package kit. Think the people wanting mules may be outgrowing the production for the next few steels

Think it’s great Sal has said he will keep the SPY27 in production for us handle makers
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Let me see if I have this right. What you want is a three pack of Mules with scales, sheath and SharpMaker, and you want to know which steels we would suggest for a Mule Team Redux. Pretty sure there is already a poll running on that last part. I'd suggest K390 and S110V to go with the SPY27. Both are regular production now, so sourcing the steel should be a little less involved, and both are pretty high benchmarks to compare to.

Try not to pass out when the MSRP on that package comes up over $500.
wisby

Post by wisby »

I think that the one I want the most will be the one that comes out next - the one that is just out of reach but almost ready. I'm looking forward to the Z-max!
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

The Mule Team promotes, create, test, and edge-u-cate. I understand chasing the next best steel and I am also compelled to do so. But, I also have seen the next steel being surpassed year over year. I feel developing some testing standard would help bring the Mule community together.

I would like to see (X) number of test kits and (X) number of people sharing insights and educating each other regarding a standard of steels. Maybe even develop a standardized cutting routine to put each blade through and sharpening too. I have to trust yablanowitz, his door full, and his opinion on which 3 blades could set a testing standard. Then, the next best can be compared to the standard. Chasing the next best will never die. People just run out of cash.

I am also keen to test apples to apples. Mule to Mule. I am a bit of a purist. My Waterway has only cut fish, and some red meat. I have 2 general purpose Spydercos, and the Pd#1 Mule is just sitting and waiting for another Mule to come along and play with. Personally, I have not learned much from chasing the next best steel, other than it is an expensive and often frustrating hobby.

As for what should be included and the price.... We will have to see if there is any real traction for Mule Team testers out there. I would like to include something witty about really driving the Mule Team versus chasing the one Mule around in a field hoping to get a lead on it. But, I am not that witty.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I do think it would be a great idea to have a mule available most of the time on a regular run steel like VG-10 or S30V as many knives are made in these steels and being able to compare new mules to whatever is regular run would be cool.

Also, Didn't see the post about SPY27 going regular production - being that it seems a good candidate for regular run knives, just having a fairly predictable steel that is going to other models would provide a good baseline indeed.