FRN Scales (?)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Zive

FRN Scales (?)

Post by Zive »

Never thought I would cross over from the “grateful for everything Sal has given us” camp to the “asking Sal for favors” group but here goes:

I’ve always loved the feel of the Jumpmaster 2 in-hand and was taking the scales of my Enuff Salt for some Rit dying today when it occurred to me that similar bi-directional FRN scales would be a great match for the Mule. I wanted to start a thread to see if others agree, or if people are generally satisfied with the G10 option that’s out now (or are happy to just DIY).

I understand that making new molds is an expensive and time consuming process for Spyderco, but with the multiple new iterations of the MT on the horizon, it seems likely there will be continued demand for off-the-shelf handles, perhaps justifying the investment.

In addition to the awesome traction and light weight that bi-directional FRN offers, customers would also be able to further customize their handles through dying if a light shade of FRN were offered.

Thoughts?
The Meat man

Re: FRN Scales (?)

Post by The Meat man »

It's a cool idea. I don't see Spyderco making the investment, though. I doubt they could sell enough to make it pay off.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zive,

I think it's a good idea. We've been going more and more to FRN handles because of the "bang for the buck". Textures galore, lower costs, easier manufacturing, etc. I think we'll just "hide-n-watch" for a while and see reaction to the project for a while.

sal
Swincher.2

Post by Swincher.2 »

I can see it be an collaboration or "exclusive" the bonus being the muley you can change out with each different steel. Preferably with spacers and t8!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I think it's a great idea. I have 3 mules and have plans for at least 2 more. I think their popularity is increasing so maybe it would be worth it for the company. I mean seriously could color code your mule handles to coincide with the production colors if you wanted to.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Hi Sal,

Thanks for the consideration. I hope I’m not alone in seeing the value here. Would be great to see a complete Mule that incorporates your ergonomics.

Aloha
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I would be interested as well especially if it was in a light color so it could be dyed.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Swincher,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

This is something I've been wanting for awhile but didn't have the huevos to ask for it.

If FRN scales do appear, request they are made in a way that one can modify them around the edges. Ie, that the texturing not be run right up to the edge, giving the modder some ability to refine the shape of the handle.

I'm finding the mule a lot more friendly if I do a bit of refinement of the handle--reducing its "pregnancy" and going to a smaller radius for the index finger. Small mods, but add a lot to comfort. Would like to see scales that will be design-wise modifiable enough to allow this.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:44 pm
that the texturing not be run right up to the edge, giving the modder some ability to refine the shape of the handle.
I'm a fan of the bi-directional pattern. A must-have for me would be scales that actually fit, or are made with the expectation that the end-user would finish the scales to fit. Undersized or ill-fitting scales are an abomination.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Henry: Maybe a shade similar to the SSS Ivory sprint or Kahr Delica tan?

Bolster: Perhaps a wider smoothed area at the margins? It seems like some people exploit this area for re-shaping on the Delica and Endura if they don’t find the finger grooves comfortable.

Rusty: Agreed. My Halpern scales are great but that millimeter (or less) of mismatch has bugged me and that same feature in Spyderco’s G10 is one of the reasons I stayed away.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:58 pm
I'm a fan of the bi-directional pattern. A must-have for me would be scales that actually fit, or are made with the expectation that the end-user would finish the scales to fit. Undersized or ill-fitting scales are an abomination.

I like the bi-directional also. I'm not proposing undersized scales. I'm proposing not running the texturing right up to the border of the scales.

Zive wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:42 pm
Bolster: Perhaps a wider smoothed area at the margins? It seems like some people exploit this area for re-shaping on the Delica and Endura if they don’t find the finger grooves comfortable.

Exactly!

OT: I am one of those who avoid the Delica/Endura because of bad hand fit. I should try modding one with an FRN handle, as you suggest.
zemogKA

Post by zemogKA »

I'd buy a few sets of FRN MT scales in a heartbeat. Especially if there were colors besides black offered.
P40

Post by P40 »

Wanted to add my $0.02 on desire for an FRN option.

I would love to have FRN scales as an option for my Mules!
Lightweight would be primary attraction to me personally.
And hoping it would be lower cost option too.
More than one color choice would be extra icing on the cake, but second in priority to me.

I have several Halpern Ti ones, both the flat and 3d contoured (like the one available to purchase on Spyderco.com). They feel great, but they seem so unbalanced and heavy on the handle to me vs. the length of the Mule's blade.
This is actually a strong reason I recently paracord wrapped one of them. I wanted something lighter.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’m interested. Maybe a couple colors like whichever Delica and Endura colors are most popular and then a bright white for DIYers.

I love smooth transitions and seamless fit and finish as much as the next guy but the proud tang on the Halpern setup doesn’t bother me in the least. I think because it is consistent I’ve gotten used to it. If it was any bigger I may not be able to ignore it but all but one of my mules currently have their scales and I’m looking forward to their site being restocked.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I've been looking for flat sheet FRN (or FRCP) to make some lightweight scales for my backpacking SpyMules, but no luck. Even asked over at BF, and most of the folks just respond: "Well use micarta or wood." Yeah, but I wanted really lightweight and strong material...!
SharpSmitty

Post by SharpSmitty »

I would love some FRN scales with the general contours of the Halpern Ti 3D scales. The cobalt color for my SPY27 mule would be killer. Fingers crossed
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I could definitely get behind some factory FRN scales like the Jumpmaster.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I suspect it is all about the NRE costs (non recoverable engineering). Some kind of mold or form needs to be worked up, and the costs for doing that need to be recovered over a long run of product. But I should learn more about FRN manufacturing before I run my mouth off. So for something with small quantities (like the mules) it may not be possible for Spyderco to recover their investment in setting up production for mule handles.

Compared to making a G10 handle where you already have a CNC and set up a program for a new object, FRN requires a mold to be made, which can be doggone expensive - or so I am told. And then you still have to do a run on a machine. But if the quantities are large enough, it is a big win. At least that is how I understand it.
Zive

Post by Zive »

That’s a good point, Tom. I guess it comes down to what Sal and Eric see as the future for the MT project. If feedback from the latest release is any indication there may be larger quantities produced for future releases which might justify the investment in mold-making and development.

I also don’t have a good handle (no pun intended) on what the break-even sales figure would be for these scales, but I’m hopeful it will work out.