Modification...but tang integrity?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Modification...but tang integrity?

Post by Bolster »

I would like to modify a skeletonized version of the mule for backpacking. I've sketched out a few modifications to my liking, but am curious if the proposed oval in the middle (which spans two large and one small existing holes) would overly weaken the knife. The cross section (from "up" to "down" in the drawing) would be around .41" where the two small holes are above and below the oval. Do you think a .41" cross section tang would be sufficient for a rough use knife?

Note that the cross section at the first large hole, as designed by Spyderco, is .47", so I'm not proposing a radical departure, but the tang would be weakened somewhat with the oval cut. What are your thoughts on strength?

sal

Re: Modification...but tang integrity?

Post by sal »

Hi Bolsrer,

I don't foresee any problem with your mod.

sal
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Wouldn’t worry the integrity in any way with what is above, in my opinion

The reason there’s so many holes is for a multitude of handle configurations
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

On a 2.8oz knife, I am curious to see how much weight you can cut off. And, will you put a cord wrap on, scales or, really skeletonized?
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks gents. I shall proceed with confidence!

I'm new to working hardened steel, and was surprised that it can be ground at low temperatures. I've already ground the new radius for the index finger, and the workpiece increased just 15F at the grind point, measured with laser thermo. I've also carefully reprofiled the curves a bit on a belt sander with a new sharp belt, and I wasn't able to register any temp increase, though I was taking off only a little bit at a time. I'm encouraged that slow, careful work (so far) keeps the temps low. (Lubricant was used for both the stone grinding and the belt grinder.)

YK: I'm curious too! My scale reads in increments of 0.2 so it's possible I'll see no reduction! No cord wrap. I purchased a sheet of 1/16" CF for scales but am thinking I won't use it. I'm stoning all the handle edges for smoothness and it's reasonably comfortable already. So: the goal is really skeletonized. The idea is that, in the field, a bandana, or my food-hang cord, or even a sock, can make an expedient wrap if extended use is necessary.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I would not worry at all.

My Esee Laser Strike has a much larger cutout in the middle of the grip/tang and is still probably the sturdiest knife I own.
(Sure the Esee has thicker blade stock too, but I don´t think that this makes a world of a difference concerning your planned mod)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

As long as you are not raising the temp with your mill (and it appears that you are being careful about that), there's still plenty of steel there.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

defenestrate wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:40 am
As long as you are not raising the temp with your mill (and it appears that you are being careful about that), there's still plenty of steel there.

Right. I trimmed the pinkie hook with a chop-grinder (in little bites at a time, and swabbing with a wet sponge) and monitored the temp at the cut with a laser thermo. It spiked at 106F at one point. There were sparks, obviously. There was darkening adjacent to the cut, which sanded off easily.

I suspect that in the cut, and within a millimeter on either side, it does get plenty hot--how could it not. The laser thermo measures sort of an average of the surrounding area. So even though 106F was my top recorded temp, in the cut itself it was very likely considerably higher.

Stainless doesn't conduct heat well. On the downside that means the hot bits stay hot. On the upside, cutting in the handle area is a long distance away from the blade, and I doubt any heat migration (other than a F or two) to the blade.

Agree? Disagree?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Bolster,
Agreed. It sounds like you are being thorough and shouldn't have issues.