Leather Sheath for Scout Carry?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
kennethsime

Leather Sheath for Scout Carry?

Post by kennethsime »

I love my PD#1 Mule, but it doesn't see enough use. I'm thinking of adding it to my EDC rotation, but to do so I'd want to scout carry it.

I love the Spyderco leather sheath that I ordered with it. Does anyone have an idea of where I might source a similar sheath, but designed for scout carry?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TomAiello

Re: Leather Sheath for Scout Carry?

Post by TomAiello »

Where do you live?

I've had very specific sheaths made by local leather shops, but they have vanished from a lot of places. My local guy here made me some really nice ones at ridiculous prices (seriously, $10 for a sheath that would have been $65 on line--I made him take extra money because I felt bad about it).

If you're in a rural area of CA that still has a traditional horse culture, look for saddle makers. For most of them, a sheath is a trivial project. The hard part will be convincing them to do it, not their quality or speed.

I've also had some good sheaths custom made on line, but that's more expensive. Not sure about aftermarket Mule Sheaths. I've never bought one from anyone but Spyderco, and my experiments with Kydex are good enough for me, but not good enough to give to anyone else.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:03 am
Where do you live?

I've had very specific sheaths made by local leather shops, but they have vanished from a lot of places. My local guy here made me some really nice ones at ridiculous prices (seriously, $10 for a sheath that would have been $65 on line--I made him take extra money because I felt bad about it).

If you're in a rural area of CA that still has a traditional horse culture, look for saddle makers. For most of them, a sheath is a trivial project. The hard part will be convincing them to do it, not their quality or speed.

I've also had some good sheaths custom made on line, but that's more expensive. Not sure about aftermarket Mule Sheaths. I've never bought one from anyone but Spyderco, and my experiments with Kydex are good enough for me, but not good enough to give to anyone else.
Funny enough, I grew up in a rural area in CA which claimed to be the "cowboy capitol of the world," with saddle makers practically on every corner. Where I am now, I'd have to drive a few hours to get to a decent saddle maker, I think. That's a great idea though.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I live in real cowboy country, and there is a custom leather worker/sheath maker not far from me. I don't have a Mule with regular scales for him to use as a pattern, though. If he built it for one of my cordwraps it would likely be too tight for yours.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Like above, don’t be scared to reach out to someone local.

Had one made by a knife maker near me. Not Scout carry but should be easy to get one made for you locally.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

There are some people exclusively doing leather work that you can find on Instagram that will take care of you. Sarah @soulboundleather is a really good one. I met her at Blade Show West. She had a table full of impressively nice sheaths back then and has made a lot more since. There are others too, but Soulboundleather is my best suggestion. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Xplorer wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:40 am
There are some people exclusively doing leather work that you can find on Instagram that will take care of you. Sarah @soulboundleather is a really good one. I met her at Blade Show West. She had a table full of impressively nice sheaths back then and has made a lot more since. There are others too, but Soulboundleather is my best suggestion. :)
That's a great suggestion, might be just what I'm looking for! Ideally, I could order a sheath without sending the knife off, but I realize I'm getting into pretty niche territory here and that just might not be possible.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Finally have an update! I found a local leatherworker (actually a former employee of mine) who I was able to drop the knife off with today. I left it with the Spyderco leather sheath, with instructions to basically copy it but run two scout carry straps instead.

Will report back with pictures when I get it back in a week or two.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Picked up my sheath today! Apparently, this was his first knife sheath - the guy typically does wallets and notebook covers from Tandy leather. You can tell the work is a little rough, but it fits well, retention is great, and the knife is SO MUCH MORE comfortable to carry. The sheath works quite well for a number of different positions - scout, cross-draw, and my favorite so far, pictured below.

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:09 pm
Picked up my sheath today! Apparently, this was his first knife sheath - the guy typically does wallets and notebook covers from Tandy leather. You can tell the work is a little rough, but it fits well, retention is great, and the knife is SO MUCH MORE comfortable to carry. The sheath works quite well for a number of different positions - scout, cross-draw, and my favorite so far, pictured below.

I like the new sheath not bad for his first one. I like the looks of the Spyderco leather sheath but think its a little too snug.