Poll What’s your Mule future

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Poll What’s your Mule future (from new start to mules)

Poll ended at Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:52 am

Just 1
2%
Just the steels I want
46%
1 or 2
3%
4 or 5
7%
5 to 10
3%
All of them (as many as I can get)
25%
I am a mule collector who is just continuing on as before.
13%

Total votes: 99

standy99

Poll What’s your Mule future

Post by standy99 »

As the title says

Be good to see numbers of who’s in for the long haul or in for a few.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
legOFwhat?

Re: Poll What’s your Mule future

Post by legOFwhat? »

I chose; "I am a mule collector who is just continuing on as before." but also; "All of them (as many as I can get)". :p

I was torn between the two selections. Probably won't try and go back to get MT's that I missed out on, since I was late to the party. I did, however, hunt down a 4V :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd also like to pick both of the last options. I can't remember which was my first (somewhere in the early teens if memory serves) but I'd love to have them all, and I'll definitely buy every one from here on out.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm still in for 2 of whatever they put out.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Y, I'm definitely envious of your complete collection. :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks to Larry, I'm kinda hooked already! I picked "just the steels I want" because it's a great template for new steels that we haven't seen yet (sometimes)

I'm curious how some of the Spy27 models were released in folders already, but just recently the Mule? Isn't that backwards from what the Mule's purpose is?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:39 am
Thanks to Larry, I'm kinda hooked already! I picked "just the steels I want" because it's a great template for new steels that we haven't seen yet (sometimes)

I'm curious how some of the Spy27 models were released in folders already, but just recently the Mule? Isn't that backwards from what the Mule's purpose is?
A bit backward from the stated purpose, but this Mule was announced in a Reveal long ago, I believe before the folders came out. Pandemic restrictions delayed it for about a year.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

I was thinking the same thing isn't S45VN already available?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:01 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I was thinking the same thing isn't S45VN already available?
In the Mule it gives us a straight apples-to-apples comparison, though, and the common steels help to provide a benchmark to compare to. Someone already made that point about having an s30v mule always available, but I'm sure Sal would prefer that Spy27 become the new benchmark, and I'd be happy to see that as well.

Either way, I vastly prefer to have common steels available in the Mules, even if that means 're-releasing' something that's already in a folder. Real world testing is a lot easier if you have a common denominator for comparison. I tend to use the Manix for this (I own it in almost every steel it's been released in), but the Mule is better, in my opinion, because it's less expensive and easier on my hands for prolonged cut testing.
RedDevilSam

Post by RedDevilSam »

Well I found out about the mules just after they took a break from making them and missed out on the spy27. So if I can get my hands on one of the next ones and see how I like how it feels I may start collecting them but for right know put me down for 1.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:38 am
Y, I'm definitely envious of your complete collection. :)
Your not the only one.... ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I did get in on the ground floor, and I've followed it all along. Advantage of being an old fart, I guess.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I would have voted "Just the steels I want", except I'm pretty sure I'll want all of them. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:15 pm
I would have voted "Just the steels I want", except I'm pretty sure I'll want all of them. ;)
I love the design/size and feel of the handle in hand. The sheath becomes an issue for me though with all the bending down I do, as well as forklift driving. There's no one particular way for me to carry it that is always comfortable. That's the only issue I have with the Mule, other than that...I've been loving it and looking forward to doing some testing tomorrow if possible. That PMA11 (10V) steel has been very impressive this week! If I recall, you did a pretty extensive test on the 10V PM2 awhile back didn't you?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

To me, picking “only the ones I want” means buying steels I find particularly interesting and want to test (not necessarily steels I want to carry).
I’m in it for the knowledge and experience more than, but not the exclusion of, finding my ideal edc.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:28 pm
The Meat man wrote:
I love the design/size and feel of the handle in hand. The sheath becomes an issue for me though with all the bending down I do, as well as forklift driving. There's no one particular way for me to carry it that is always comfortable. That's the only issue I have with the Mule, other than that...I've been loving it and looking forward to doing some testing tomorrow if possible. That PMA11 (10V) steel has been very impressive this week! If I recall, you did a pretty extensive test on the 10V PM2 awhile back didn't you?
I don't know that I'd call it super intensive, but I did do some cardboard cutting with it. Recorded in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86207&start=20

I actually sold the knife a couple months ago, to free up funds for other knives.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
archangel

Post by archangel »

I only have two, MT22 (RWL34) and now MT28 (SPY27). My first duplicate design...

Now that this rule was broken, I think I'll try to grab the upcoming new mules of steels where no Spydie folder is available yet, or in case of SPY27 where no non-FRN folder has been offered yet (except for the Colorado Sprint PM2 I have just discovered myself). :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I've skipped out on a number of them because I already had something in the steel or it wasn't what I wanted to use/try. SPY27 was a must have for me to really play with a brand new steel from Spyderco in a versatile platform. I'll be skipping S45VN and probably Z-Max. Prefer knives I can sharpen on simple stones.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Given a couple folders have come out before mules in various steels, will there be a Z-wear mule? I’d be very interested in that!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

The Meat man wrote:
+1, I'm probably riding this wagon.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!