How do you EDC your Mule?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Cscottsss

How do you EDC your Mule?

Post by Cscottsss »

I finally installed my scales on my first Mule this afternoon and have been experimenting with how to EDC this awesome fixed blade. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding a concealed and comfortable way to carry it with the Boltaron sheath.

I originally had planned to carry it horizontally around 10/11 o'clock on my belt in a cross draw application (right hand draw) but with the length of the handle it just doesn't seem to work. Too much of the handle sticks out and is quite noticeable and uncomfortable.

I changed the clip orientation to vertical carry at the same position and while it conceals much better it is still very uncomfortable plus the fact it is cumbersome to resheath.

I'm a little disappointed as now I don't think it's going to be feasable to EDC this knife. It's a shame as I really like the size of the knife and the Boltaron sheath has great retention. Maybe my expectations were just too high? How do you carry yours daily if you do?

Thanks
RustyIron

Re: How do you EDC your Mule?

Post by RustyIron »

I’m doing yard work today, and carrying mine now. When I first got this knife/sheath, I tried IWB, but didn’t care for it. Mostly, I didn’t care for a razor-sharp blade coming within a fraction of an inch of my meaty parts every time the blade was resheathed. I went to OWB, and found it to be satisfactory. It's still well concealed under a t-shirt, and it's readily accessible. I can't see carrying it outside the house, though. A gun goes where I'm carrying the knife, and I'm just not excited about carrying a fixed blade on the non-dominant side. When I'm packing, a folding knife will suffice.

The bolatron sheath is better than I expected. I'm a top-shelf leather holster sort of guy, and I've NEVER had a plastic holster with a clip that I found to be worth a hill of beans. The Spyderco bolatron clip is strong enough that it will hold on to casual shorts. It's too strong for a belt AND waistband. It doesn't hold securely in one spot when clipped just to a belt, but it's GREAT when clipped to the waistband and the belt is worn over it.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I don’t have the Mule Boltaron sheath so I don’t know if this will work for you. I carry OWB and put the bottom of the sheath in my pocket.
The top is concealed with my shirt. But still remains readily accessible. My folder goes either in the back pocket or left front depending on what it is.

The Boltaron sheaths I do have are for the Province and Junction. Province is just too big to carry that way. And the junction doesn’t ride low enough. So with the Junction, I will sometimes carry in the left front using the g-clip like a pocket clip(this can be setup for right pocket too). As long as I use my thumb when drawing, it stays put.
Thanks for reading. Hope this helps. :spyder:
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

I'm in the same boat as you, Cscottsss. Had been hoping to carry it horizontally up front but the handle does hang out and print a good amount.

I've been carrying a Bradford G-Necker horizontally next to my belt buckle for a while now and love it, and it put a whole bunch of pocket folders back in the knife box, but my only complaint with that knife are that the handle and blade are both a little short for my liking. Was hoping the mule would be the perfect size improvement - and maybe it is - but if so I need to figure it out still.

It does work vertically better than any of my other fixed knives.
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

Nice responses guys some good ideas here for sure! I don’t have a mule but an spk shark and I use a ulticlip 3.3 on it and have it set up hanging really far up off the knife and carry in my front pocket having the clip so far off the knife allows it to ride lower in my pocket. It’s not to bad to re sheath either because as you draw it the ulticlip being so small allows the sheath to come up to the top of the pocket and allows you to just pretty much drop the knife into the holster then press for retention.

Not perfect by any means only been caring it for about a month so still trying to figure out the EDC fixed blade game but it’s the best I’ve found so far
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:31 pm

I originally had planned to carry it horizontally around 10/11 o'clock on my belt in a cross draw application (right hand draw) but with the length of the handle it just doesn't seem to work. Too much of the handle sticks out and is quite noticeable and uncomfortable.

Try removing the clip and get some Molle straps like this below
(For reference only as can’t find the ones I have as away with work)
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... ypass=true

Thin ones fit through the holes in top and bottom of sheath

Or cable ties but I find above better and cable ties look cheap...

And slide belt behind loop so sheath fits flatter with belt
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Cscottsss wrote:
That's what I do. Horizontal carry with the attachment left of my belt buckle, and the handle sticking out across (over) the buckle of my belt, for right hand draw.

I'm using a taco style kydex sheath--not the factory pancake style boltaron.

If that's too much, have you looked at how Vivi carries his Street Beat? Would that work for you?
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:44 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
That's what I do. Horizontal carry with the attachment left of my belt buckle, and the handle sticking out across (over) the buckle of my belt, for right hand draw.

I'm using a taco style kydex sheath--not the factory pancake style boltaron.

If that's too much, have you looked at how Vivi carries his Street Beat? Would that work for you?
The Mule might be a bit long for comfortable pocket carry.

For pocket carry I find an OAL of under 8" works best. Same for horizontal belt carry.

I haven't owned a mule since the 52100 run was still in production, but for a knife that size I'd try my previous carry method detailed here:

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... d#p1449552
:unicorn
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I guess I'm lucky. I live in a small town where 15% of the population works in a meat packing plant, so people don't get uptight when they see a knife. I built an ugly kydex sheath (folded or "taco" style) added a Spyderco G-clip I had and clipped it horizontally on the back of my belt.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Like this... seems to work well.
E01DD7A6-EA08-4C77-BAF6-DECEB011EA74.jpeg
It conceals nicely with a baggy shirt or sweatshirt.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”