Spy27 Mule in use and testing feedback

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Re: Spy27 Mule in use and testing feedback

Post by Bolster »

PStone wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 pm
Not too much action today. None actually. So she’s going to help with an after work snack and coffee. :spyder:

Are you KIDDING?!? :eek: The cheese-and-cracker test is probably the most important steel test of all!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:44 pm
PStone wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 pm
Not too much action today. None actually. So she’s going to help with an after work snack and coffee. :spyder:

Are you KIDDING?!? :eek: The cheese-and-cracker test is probably the most important steel test of all!
Haha! It really is though. Some of these long aged cheeses can get pretty hard and crumbly. It does indeed require a keen edge to slice without having it just crumble apart ;)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Slow Saturday at work. Just put a final coat on one of my floors and thought I’d give a go at #themeatmanchallenge.

Lid and all this time. Gonna give the metal handle a pass though. My Wolfspyder is still traumatized from my last go at one.

No visible damage to my edge. Just some floor finish residue hanging on.

I’m thinking I may try some carpet squares as test media next. I’ve got about a dozen or so. Will keep updating as I can. Thanks for reading!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I love it, PStone! ;) Great testing so far. Hopefully I'll be able to participate soon, when my handle materials arrive.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
PStone

Post by PStone »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:59 pm
I love it, PStone! ;) Great testing so far. Hopefully I'll be able to participate soon, when my handle materials arrive.
Awesome. A passing grade from the man himself! ;) Can’t wait to see one of your edges and how it performs. What handle materials are you going to use?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

PStone wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:12 am
The Meat man wrote:
Awesome. A passing grade from the man himself! ;) Can’t wait to see one of your edges and how it performs. What handle materials are you going to use?
I ordered some OD Micarta with stainless hardware. For the sheath, I don't know yet. Probably, I'll end up getting one made local out of leather.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:02 pm
PStone wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
I ordered some OD Micarta with stainless hardware. For the sheath, I don't know yet. Probably, I'll end up getting one made local out of leather.
Where did you order the Micarta scales from?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cscottsss wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:31 pm
The Meat man wrote:
PStone wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
https://www.makermaterialsupply.com/col ... king-slabs

They're not finished scales.
- Connor

Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:18 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:31 pm
The Meat man wrote:
PStone wrote:

https://www.makermaterialsupply.com/col ... king-slabs

They're not finished scales.
Very cool, please post pics of the finished product. I don't think I have the skills to make them myself but for that price I might give it a shot......
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Cscottsss wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:22 pm
Very cool, please post pics of the finished product. I don't think I have the skills to make them myself but for that price I might give it a shot......
Definitely try it. You may be surprised at how easily it comes to you.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:31 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:22 pm
Definitely try it. You may be surprised at how easily it comes to you.
Thanks, yes I might give it a whirl. I don't want to hijack this thread any so I think I'll make a separate thread about scale making tips? :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I must say I'm impressed so far. I've been doing some whittling on a scrap of hard pine lumber, the kind that can chew up an edge in a hurry. After a couple of hours without a touch up or stropping, it will still shave. Not too shabby.

ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Looks like the knife’s first job will be trying to open up the boltaron sheath enough so that it will actually fit in. What I’m most curious about though is how the sheath maker got the blade out after it had been formed.
Last edited by ChopSliceStab on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PStone

Post by PStone »

More cardboard today. About 15 boxes on a fine edge.
I noticed that this time, the laser like sharpness stayed a bit longer. Unlike last time when I lost it around box 6 or 7. Today it seemed that it was slicing a lot cleaner, and push cut throughout the task. I never lost that. Not shaving, but at the end I was still cleanly slicing copy paper. Very happy with the results. Definitely up there with s30v.
Tonight she will get a Sharpmaker and a strop.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Another sharpening last night. I cheated this time and used CBN. DoubleStuff2s.
This is before:
This was the only noticeable hiccup. I think I had a tiny bit of wire edge hanging on that I didn’t remove last time.
After CBN and light strop:
CBN made quite the difference in time needed versus the medium rods. Even with the shorter area to work with. I’m going to roll with this coarser edge and see how it does.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think you'll like that coarser edge when you're shredding up some more cardboard!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
eonbluemantra

Post by eonbluemantra »

Nice work. Looking forward to hearing how this edge performs. I've noticed that SPY27 seems to strop back relatively easy for me. I'm planning on putting a few edges on to make sure that belt sharpened factory edge is long gone before relying on stropping as maintenance.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Thanks for the encouragement guys! :spyder:

I must admit I am having fun. So far today I already feel a difference in how it’s cutting. A lot more “grabby”. My other coarse edge is an Endura with Hap40. They feel very similar in cutting action. I’m betting this edge will stay aggressive longer than my fine edge stayed fine.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey PStone,

Thanx much for doing this. We are all (at least Steel Junky's ) interested to learn from first hand honest using and testing. SPY27 was intended to be an all around USA made high performance blade steel and anything that we can learn from Real World Testing (RWT) benefits all of us.

sal
gx9

Post by gx9 »

It has quite good edge holding. I checked hardness of four sampling points of mine. They were HRC 61.5±0.5 and quite reasonable range compare to other similar steel.
Attachments
a20210217_113412.jpg
Last edited by gx9 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.