Mule Scale CAD files?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
izzoyournizzo

Re: Mule Scale CAD files?

Post by izzoyournizzo »

I finally got my mule and I printed the original scales you provided. I'm still awaiting the brass fasteners but I used M3 screws just to see how they would fit. I printed with PLA+. They fit pretty well, maybe 1mm off at the end of the tang and a space of 1mm or less at the bottom of the tang.

I'm thinking about sanding the scales down to figure out how I would want the scales to feel in my hands and then going to try and modify the design to that fit.

Thanks again for providing the STLs Josh, it was very kind of you.

Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the files. No, I never did get a chance to print anything today. I'm busy all day, but only do about 1/3 of what I intended to get done, which is what most people say who aren't just sitting on their hands probably.

So, how in the world did you digitize the outline and locate the hole positions? Especially without a mule without scales to measure?

We should ask Sal if they might make available some information from the designs they surely have on one of their computers.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:51 pm
Very cool. Thanks for sharing the files. No, I never did get a chance to print anything today. I'm busy all day, but only do about 1/3 of what I intended to get done, which is what most people say who aren't just sitting on their hands probably.

So, how in the world did you digitize the outline and locate the hole positions? Especially without a mule without scales to measure?

We should ask Sal if they might make available some information from the designs they surely have on one of their computers.
I used 2 overhead pictures from different sources. They matched up so I trusted them. Then in Fusion after you import the canvas(picture) it lets you "calibrate" it. I used my mule to measure a few places including the Spydiehole. It's far from perfect but I have no better way right now.
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:29 am
I used 2 overhead pictures from different sources. They matched up so I trusted them. Then in Fusion after you import the canvas(picture) it lets you "calibrate" it. I used my mule to measure a few places including the Spydiehole. It's far from perfect but I have no better way right now.
I would say, you got pretty dang close based on my 3D prints. Once I get the scales they way I want them, I'll probably try and print with a stronger filament like NylonX (nylon mixed with carbon fiber).
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:18 pm
I would say, you got pretty dang close based on my 3D prints. Once I get the scales they way I want them, I'll probably try and print with a stronger filament like NylonX (nylon mixed with carbon fiber).
I'm not sure what happened to the end of the scale. This prompted me to pull the scales off my mule to check my sketch. Like I said these needed to be tested thanks for giving it a go. I hope you didn't use solid infill.

Edit: I believe I found my mistake. I was trying to calibrate with too small of distances. Now I'm using the two farthest holes, it looks better and shows my mistakes.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Here is another test scale. I adjusted the outline, contour, and hole placement.
mulescalecontourv3 v1.png
STL
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tTys34 ... sp=sharing
DXF
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TJ6tBN ... sp=sharing
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

I did print with full infill so I would be able to sand it down. I'll also try printing your new scales today and let you know how they work out.

Those I'll print at like 30% infill. Thanks!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:00 am
I did print with full infill so I would be able to sand it down. I'll also try printing your new scales today and let you know how they work out.

Those I'll print at like 30% infill. Thanks!
I don't use solid infill until I know its right don't want to waste filament. What printer do you have? My brother just got a BL-touch for his Ender 3. I have to wait until he runs a test print before I can actually print it for myself.

For those curious this is pretty much how I did it. I do my outline different but its the same concept.
https://youtu.be/dUiIAb1YqeM
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

Thanks for providing the YouTube video. I have an Ender 3 v2. No BL Touch.

I have printed one of your new scales, and am printing the other now. The first one looks good. With the layers, it gives it a more grippy feeling. Tell your brother to print them with "Build Print Adhesion" as Brim, instead of a skirt to avoid warping.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

It's fun to see what you guys are doing.

Hammers and knives: Tools to make stuff.
Manual machine tools: Fancy tools to make stuff.
NC (tape reader) machine tools: Fancier tools to make stuff.
CNC machine tools: Mind-blowing tools to make stuff.
3D printers: Truly space age tools to make stuff.

You are using cutting edge technology, the newest techniques we have available, to make the oldest, most basic tools that humans have ever used. From spaceman to caveman.
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

That is a funny realization Rusty. Thanks for pointing it out.

I printed the new scales and they look awesome. I'm getting another mule that I purchased from someone and will install these on that mule later this week when I get it.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:25 pm
It's fun to see what you guys are doing.

Hammers and knives: Tools to make stuff.
Manual machine tools: Fancy tools to make stuff.
NC (tape reader) machine tools: Fancier tools to make stuff.
CNC machine tools: Mind-blowing tools to make stuff.
3D printers: Truly space age tools to make stuff.

You are using cutting edge technology, the newest techniques we have available, to make the oldest, most basic tools that humans have ever used. From spaceman to caveman.
Quoted for posterity!

Once I get my 3D printer setup, I'll give these scales a try. To go full circle, we need Sal to offer a flint napped obsidian Mule.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

I found that Josh's scales were a little too thin for the 1/4 Gulso bolts that Tom recommended. I ordered those bolts and they are awesome.

I took it upon myself using the YouTube link that Josh provided (thanks again) and created my own scales (using Fusion) that fit those removable bolts flush. I had to manually drill out the holes for now, but plan on updating the design fitted for those specific bolts. I'm happy to reveal that the look and feel are awesome of the scales I created and am really happy with them. This was a fun little project and than you to to Josh and Tom for your inputs.

I plan on posting the STLs to Thingiverse. Until then if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send you the STL.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:02 am
I plan on posting the STLs to Thingiverse. Until then if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send you the STL.
PM Sent. :)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:02 am
I found that Josh's scales were a little too thin for the 1/4 Gulso bolts that Tom recommended. I ordered those bolts and they are awesome.

I took it upon myself using the YouTube link that Josh provided (thanks again) and created my own scales (using Fusion) that fit those removable bolts flush. I had to manually drill out the holes for now, but plan on updating the design fitted for those specific bolts. I'm happy to reveal that the look and feel are awesome of the scales I created and am really happy with them. This was a fun little project and than you to to Josh and Tom for your inputs.

Looks good! It seemed daunting when I first opened Fusion but those tutorials helped me. It's way easier than one would think. It looks like you just chambered it right? You should look in to "plane along a path" and "sweeps". That's how I made the cylinder shape curve with the handle. I want to figure out textures.

Edit: I made a thicker version ~8mm versus the original ~5mm.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WvlA5x ... sp=sharing
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

I manually chambered with a hand drill bit but in my next update I will have it chambered for those Gulso bolts. The one thing I am finding out is that my handle is ever so slightly loose. It's either because the bolts aren't tight enough or the bolts themselves are a little too small. One thing I might do is create an extrusion on the side of the scale that touches the blade so it fits into one of the bigger holes.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It's probably because the barrel on the bolt is too long. If that's it, you should be able to fix it by making the scale slightly thicker or by cutting the bolt itself with a hack saw.
Jkat

Post by Jkat »

Hey Everyone,

I have not yet had the opportunity to get a mule, but when I do, I will be available to share CAD files of the scales and knives. Just FYI.

(I am a professional cad monkey)