Third Party Handle Makers (please add website)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
standy99

Third Party Handle Makers (please add website)

Post by standy99 »

Thought I would start a list of 3rd party Mule handle makers.

https://cuscadi.de/english-faq/

Cuscadi has some great ones. I ordered a set of Glow in the Dark ones a few months ago. Great fit and knife with these scales fits in Spyderco’s boltron sheath sold on Spyderco website

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Mushroom

Re: Third Party Handle Makers (please add website)

Post by Mushroom »

Halpern Titanium offers both contoured and flat scales for the Mule Team in a variety of colors and materials.

https://www.halperntitanium.com/spyderco-handles/
-Nick :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

Except for that Halpern does not have a single set of scales for sale right now, at least not through their website. Has anyone US-based given them a call, asked if maybe they still have some for sales over the phone?
Last edited by archangel on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
standy99

Post by standy99 »

archangel wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:02 am
Except for that Halpern does not have a single set of scales for sale right now, at least not through their website. Has someone US-based given them a call, asked if maybe the still have soe for sales over the phone?
You were quoted in this thread
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:18 pm

I emailed Halpern today and they said to check back at the end of March. They should have more by then or early April.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've bought several sets (and some sheaths) from Oleg Kremlin off eBay (username nimfa700), and they've been good. I actually prefer them to the flat Halpern scales because they cover the entire tang, where there is a bit exposed on the Halpern scales that I own.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/nimfa700?_trks ... 7675.l2559

I also found this review on this forum: viewtopic.php?t=71246
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Great idea, thanks for starting this thread! Sorry I have none to add currently.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:27 am
I've bought several sets (and some sheaths) from Oleg Kremlin off eBay (username nimfa700), and they've been good. I actually prefer them to the flat Halpern scales because they cover the entire tang, where there is a bit exposed on the Halpern scales that I own.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/nimfa700?_trks ... 7675.l2559

I also found this review on this forum: viewtopic.php?t=71246
I only bought one and had to open a dispute. It was very poor, IMO. Hopefully they have improved as they are one of the very few makers of ready to install scales.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Suingab ( https://g10.lt/ ) gets my vote. Fit and finish to rival the factory ones and a nice and easy going guy to deal with.

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I haven't gotten mule scales from them, but I've had very good experiences with Cuscadi.

With the revival of mules, I wonder if Aramis Akhmedov could be convinced to make some? I love his scales for my other Spyderco knives. His designs and craftsmanship are absolutely top notch.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:09 am
Thought I would start a list of 3rd party Mule handle makers.

https://cuscadi.de/english-faq/

Cuscadi has some great ones. I ordered a set of Glow in the Dark ones a few months ago. Great fit and knife with these scales fits in Spyderco’s boltron sheath sold on Spyderco website

When you ordered your scales did you have to find your own hardware or was it provided with the scales?
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Hardware came with scales ;)

Was all in the package, two scales and screws to fit.

Took a while due to COVID for delivery but no issues whatsoever.

Could put liners if I wanted!
LanM

Post by LanM »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:37 am
Suingab ( https://g10.lt/ ) gets my vote. Fit and finish to rival the factory ones and a nice and easy going guy to deal with.

Man that is beautiful.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:44 am
I haven't gotten mule scales from them, but I've had very good experiences with Cuscadi.

With the revival of mules, I wonder if Aramis Akhmedov could be convinced to make some? I love his scales for my other Spyderco knives. His designs and craftsmanship are absolutely top notch.

I spoke with Aramis and he said he did purchase a mule several years ago and wants to make scales for them but doesn’t know when. It seems like if there was enough demand for them he probably could start making some.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

I grabbed a pair of Halpern’s flat scales. Called about a week ago and they just arrived today. I guess they must have been left overs from the last previous run. They look great, but the knife doesn’t arrive until Monday so will have to check the fit then. I have a TRM Neutron and Atom with their CF scales and was hoping to grab a pair for the mule but I don’t think they’ll have them back in stock for a while. They’re a great operation though and I’m happy to give them my business.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

archangel wrote:
Except for that Halpern does not have a single set of scales for sale right now, at least not through their website. Has anyone US-based given them a call, asked if maybe they still have some for sales over the phone?

I did call Halpern about Mule scales, back in the last week of January. As I was planning ahead for the new releases. I have bought all of my Mule scale sets from Halpern, in the past.

Because of these new upcoming Mule releases. I wondered if they had a heads-up of what was going on with these? When I called, they did check stock for me, and only had a few pieces left-over from a much earlier run (circa 2017). Nothing that I was interested in (color).

She said that they now have runs of these scheduled, but that open slot in the schedule was not until about the first week in April.
archangel

Post by archangel »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:26 pm
archangel wrote:

I did call Halpern about Mule scales, back in the last week of January. As I was planning ahead for the new releases. I have bought all of my Mule scale sets from Halpern, in the past.

Because of these new upcoming Mule releases. I wondered if they had a heads-up of what was going on with these? When I called, they did check stock for me, and only had a few pieces left-over from a much earlier run (circa 2017). Nothing that I was interested in (color).

She said that they now have runs of these scheduled, but that open slot in the schedule was not until about the first week in April.

Thanks Steve, appreciated!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...