Mule Team quantity discussion

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
sal

Re: Mule Team quantity discussion

Post by sal »

Hi Standy,

A mule club is very involved, which we learned with the collector club program, which had and has its challenges. It seems like it should be easy, but when the rubber meets the road, it's more involved. Different folks have different ideas about what they want, so we ended up with all of these collector programs for sprints or Chaparrals or ?, etc.

There are quite a few people that think the only reason for the demand was the steel used. I think we should watch the next 2 or 3 Mules and see what happens. I really appreciate the input and suggestions and we might even employ some of them, but I would like to gather more input before making any changes, other than perhaps trying to make the SPY27 Mule a standard item.

Fortunately I've got Eric, who helps me select steels and organize with the foundry's and Kristi, who has extended a great deal of effort to make this good for you. Bless them both. We're all pretty busy folks.

sal
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Thanks for the reply and double thanks for this whole thread and mule forum... ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:30 pm
I'm getting a lot of suggestions for which I thank you. Most of the suggestions seem to add complexity and a lot of paperwork, follow up, individual communication, etc. Which I'm not really big on. Not only does it eat up a lot of someone's time, but it adds cost.

Since the steel for the next 6 mules are made or are being made, there is little that we can change. Maybe the best solution would be to hold as we are and see what the next few Mules do? Regular production of a Mule in SPY27 would serve as a "Kit knife" for those that are seeking that, and that might reduce the demand for other steels as well as get more of our steel out there?

sal
I’m fine with this too.

Although it would be nice to have the release for each Mule staggered over a few hours for those of us outside the US, if there’s going to be a similar feeding frenzy with the next ones.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I’ll add that one of the main reasons I bought this mule team was for the steel. I’m not a collector nor am I one to use a fixed blade knife outside of the kitchen or a lake. I’m giving the design of the mule team a try primarily due to me wanting to experience SPY27 in a economical manner.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rinzler,

Thanx for that input. I think that is the question we have to figure out. I'll bring it up with our team. It might be a few months before we can come up with a satisfactory solution, but I think we can get it sorted. I'd like to thank everyone for their participation in this discussion. It's been very helpful.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

I think you can expect a high demand for the Z-Max mule as well. As to the S45VN mule - I think this might see less buyers. Simply because there are already Spydies available with that steel. No other Spydie available with Z-Max yet.

The SPY27 mule was sold out so fast cause a) it's your own house steel, b) cause it only cost 50 bucks (yes I know, also true for the S45VN mule), and c) cause it's been the first MT in years and had a lot of forum publicity.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:58 am

I would like to gather more input before making any changes, other than perhaps trying to make the SPY27 Mule a standard item.

sal
That's a good idea that way newbies will have MT27 around all year. That could really help get more people involved. I only have one Mule and that's all it took to get me interested in blade steels and the rest of the Mule Team.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, it is great of you to be talking about all this on the forum. (speaking to Sal).

I am especially pleased that the idea of having the SPY27 mule be a regular item seems to be an idea with some merit.

Veering off topic a bit (or a lot). I was thinking that I wished that an S30V mule was a regular thing. And I am saying this because it could serve as one of the best known steels and one to compare every other mule to. On the other hand, I can
use my S30V Manix 2 as my reference blade I guess, so I don't really need an S30V mule. So never mind, but thanks for giving serious consideration to keeping the SPY27 continually available. I'll buy more and try to get this handle making thing happening.
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

I really like the idea of a preorder system...even if the lead time is longer. I think it greatly simplifies the interest gauge for a particular steel for Spyderco. I am also ok with Spyderco saying a steel has to reach a certain preorder threshold before they commit to making the mules. If a steel makes its preorder threshold, then maybe Spyderco can order some quantity over the preorder total for limited website or in person sales later based on the overall interest they see from the presale. If a preorder goes on for say a month, is advertised through the Byte, on the forum, and all the other customer communication channels...then I think the number of folks missing out would be more about them not really paying attention or unfortunately arriving late to the party.

For me, repeatedly refreshing a website to try and buy the knife I want before it sells out is not part of the hobby I enjoy.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

There's no advantage to a pre-order system unless the quantity goes up with the orders, and the quantity for the next several mules sounds like it's been set. You'd just be competing before the "pre-orders" sell out.

That said, if a pre-order system with variable quantity gets switched to in the future, I'd also think that's good.
sal

Post by sal »

I think when you think about the amount of time necessary for pre-orders, then order steel, then wait for the steel, then process that steel, set up for delivery.....it's been 2 years? Assuming we get enough pre-prders to order steel......then you've
got all of the new people that have come on board in the past 2 years that will miss out?

sal
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I don't have much input on the matter other than I think there should be a standard offering in the lineup so everyone is able to experience the Mule and own one.

I just got my first one (SPY27) and have been an avid Spyderco collector/user for years. I'm blown away by how great it is so far and I haven't even had the chance to use it yet! So my only wish is they become more available for everyone to enjoy!
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Sal,

whould there be a chance to get a Mule in Europe?
Whould there be a chance to bring a "Kit knife" in regular production?
I really like the shape of the Woodcraft!

Have a nice Sunday, everyone!

ASF
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wonder if allowing some European dealer(s) to order a larger quantity would work?

Say, if Lamnia was allowed to buy 20 Mules and then mark them up 25%? Would they sell?

That would be a way to create a stock of Mules that would be available to European customers, even if at a higher price.
attila

Post by attila »

Hi Sal,

Thank you for taking the time to listen to our suggestions and request!
sal wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:30 pm
...the steel for the next 6 mules are made or are being made...
sal
Might you be willing to divulge if one of the 6 steels you’re referring to above is K490?

K490 is the one that I’d be most excited for because, in countless steel-preference polls, I have called for this steel. I’m hopeful because, on one of those occasions you said you’d keep it in mind.

Thanks again!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Fysh

Post by Fysh »

I think that Pre-orders or pre-sale are the way to go. I just pre-ordered the new Tenacious thru one of your distributors today.
I would also like to see a limit of 2 then I could order one for my son as well. We both have Mules and think they are very special and we
are excited the see them available again & disappointed that we we missed out on MT-28. If there is another round of the 28 we would buy two.
Thanks for the opportunity to give my 2 cents worth of input.
Train

Post by Train »

I believe that creating availability is the only reasonable option. And first of all I would suggest to consider that ready made scales and sheaths for Mule were not available before and are now: sure that influences the demand! If you look into the posts re the latest issue it is easy to see how the majority of the buyers seem to then rush to purchase both scales and sheaths and start using the knife while in the past most of the blades would likely stay in a box for weeks and months and probably years!
I would love to see at least one Mule (not necessarily the same one) being available for purchase at all times. I believe that would help "to smoother the curve" and also to drive Mule's project popularity among knife enthusiasts. So I would suggest the following approach: Whenever the next run comes to look at the stock of Mules available for sale. If the stock is low or zero as it is now then make a big run - like 2000 pieces or about that. Alternatively, if there are some Mules left from previous runs then make the next run "limited" with 1/2 or even 1/3 of the standard: that will ensure it sells as well as stimulate sales of the "old stock".
Start with creating some availability now and then keep it simple. So even given months-long lead time for steel, doesn't matter: whenever the time comes check the stock and select the run size... In the beginning it would be probably reasonable to have a few shorter runs with easier available steels to create the availability and test the demand (even if that means re-running some Mules from years ago). But then over time the quantities and timing will be adjusted and it will work one way or another.
Thorne27

Post by Thorne27 »

I’d be willing to pre order. I enjoy the opportunity that the mule provides. It allows me to fiddle around with scales and sheaths on a knife that will I will carry in my pack, on my belt, and in my truck, at a price point that won’t leave me sleeping on the couch. I don’t want to, or see others, miss opportunity. And anything worth having is worth waiting for.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Thorne,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Train wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:12 pm
I believe that creating availability is the only reasonable option.
That's easy to say when it isn't your capital tied up in inventory that isn't moving and won't generate significant profit when it does.

Anybody have a reliable crystal ball they can accurately foretell the future with? You can prove it works by posting next week's winning Powerball numbers here.