Which two would you choose?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
wisby

Which two would you choose?

Post by wisby »

I’m going to be trying to get two mules so that I can do a comparison in the spirit of the mule team. I am curious about the 28 and 29, but 31 is also intriguing. If you were choosing two from these three that are coming ‘soon’, which two would you choose?
Last edited by wisby on Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Re: Which two would you choose?

Post by sal »

Hi Wisby,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Personally I'd go with Z Max (I'm super excited to try a Maxamet competitor in a mule) for long term edge holding, and Spy 27 because it's Spyderco's proprietary steel.

As a maker, I'm interested in s45vn, but for a user I'm not sure the difference from s30v or s35vn will be that noticeable.

I think Spy 27 and Z Max will get you the widest range to use, play with, enjoy, test, etc.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

As far as I know - S45VN and SPY27 are fairly similar. Both stainless steels with decent edge retention. SPY27 is a little tougher, S45VN is a little more corrosion resistant. If that info is outdated/incorrect, I'm hoping someone will correct me.

Z-Max is going to be notably different. Prone to corrosion but crazy edge retention (again far as I know.) Everyone is going to want a Z-max, so might be harder to get, but Z-Max and one of the other two would be what I recommend if you're looking for noticeably different properties.
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Hi, I’ll take the three😂
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

If it has to be two, Zmax and Spy27.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Z Max and S45VN
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
wisby

Post by wisby »

Thanks all!

I was interested in Z-MAX and SPY27 the most and your comments have solidified that - as well as the fact that SPY27 will become available first. So I will be trying to get a MT28 when they become available and if they are not available by the time I am ordering then I will just have to go for the S45VN instead of SPY27. But like all of you, I am definitely going to try for the Z-MAX.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

wisby wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 am
Thanks all!

I was interested in Z-MAX and SPY27 the most and your comments have solidified that - as well as the fact that SPY27 will become available first. So I will be trying to get a MT28 when they become available and if they are not available by the time I am ordering then I will just have to go for the S45VN instead of SPY27. But like all of you, I am definitely going to try for the Z-MAX.
How do you know there will be a order to their release? I thought they might all go at the same time.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
wisby

Post by wisby »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:37 pm
wisby wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 am

How do you know there will be a order to their release? I thought they might all go at the same time.
I see in the sticky first thread of this Mule forum that the 28 SPY27 has a release date defined later this week but I don’t see release dates for the other two yet.