MT28P - Mule Team Featuring CPM SPY27 - Release Date

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Mushroom

Re: MT28P - Mule Team Featuring CPM SPY27 - Release Date

Post by Mushroom »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:14 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:42 pm
This is sold out already??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

This is starting to get a bit out of control. I just don't know how much longer I can believe the "we didn't know what the demand would be" excuse... Must have been a really small run.

Hi Nick,

Do you think that I am lying, or that I'm wrong?

sal
Hi Sal, I do not think you are lying or wrong. I apologize if I came off that way.

With regards to the high demand of Mule Team 28, I understand not being able to foresee that MT28 would sell out in under an hour, especially when compared to past runs of the Mule Team. Some of which took years to sell out. In general, I understand how the Mule Team is difficult to predict demand, especially when considering the number of different factors involved for each model.
-Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nick, No apology necessary. I was just ribbing you. You've been here long enough that I think I understand your core values.

On the issues,, we'll get it sorted and we appreciate all of the support and suggestions.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think I am an example of the problem. (Offering this as a self conducted interview):

Spyderco: Are you a fan of the Mule concept?
Bolster: Oh, yes, absolutely, huge fan of the Mules.
S: How many do you own?
B: Uh, one, currently, a CTS-XHP. With a SPY27 in the mail.
S: And being a huge fan, how is it that you’ve just now bought your second Mule, years after the first?
B: Well, Mules used to always be readily available, so I knew I could buy another at any time. Then, when I decided I wanted a second, they were unavailable. So I really really really wanted another Mule, and I'm a little miffed I had to wait.
S: I see. And what is it that you want in a Mule?
B: Easy. The absolute best steel, at an absolute bargain price, and available whenever I want one.
S: Ah. I see. Just curious, have you ever been an entrepreneur?
B: A who what now?
S: An entrepreneur. You run your own business, you take financial risks, you have to balance the books, you have to keep the customers happy.
B: Ah, no. I’m not an empratateur. But I am an American, and I want what I want, when I want it, at the cheapest possible price, or slightly less. I can always buy a nice Chinese 3Cr13 on eBay for $12.95 so you gotta keep your prices low if you want my business.
S: Thank you much for your insights, Bolster. Have a nice day.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

edited - hah posted my whole long rant here instead of the "mule team quantity discussion" thread that I meant to post in.. hahah wow, sometimes I just straight up lose my grasp on how the internet works :p ..

feel free to view my thoughts on MT28 availability over in the correct thread haha! :D
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:52 pm
Hi Hereiamu1,

It would be my hope that we fa a Mule Team into the hands of everyone that wanted one. We have a discussion going on another thread as to possible CQI's to the process.

sal
Thanks Sal, I am following that thread also. Somehow I missed seeing the release date for the MT28P.
pcguy33

Post by pcguy33 »

there arriving!
fixall

Post by fixall »

It's already started. This makes me sick. Dude probably thinks he's a good person for donating 10% of his profits to charity after marking the knife up over 200% above msrp. So not in the spirit of the Mule Team.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114683644151
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

fixall wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:24 pm
It's already started. This makes me sick. Dude probably thinks he's a good person for donating 10% of his profits to charity after marking the knife up over 200% above msrp. So not in the spirit of the Mule Team.

Agreed, it is annoying to see. Though to be fair, it’s an auction. So the people bidding the price up only have themselves to blame. There are 6 more mules in the pipeline already and it sounds like there are talks of making the SPY27 Mule a standard model. If you want one, just wait..
fixall

Post by fixall »

Wright.88 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:51 pm
fixall wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:24 pm

Agreed, it is annoying to see. Though to be fair, it’s an auction. So the people bidding the price up only have themselves to blame. There are 6 more mules in the pipeline already and it sounds like there are talks of making the SPY27 Mule a standard model. If you want one, just wait..
Fair point, although he did set the starting price at twice MSRP and purchased 2 with the sole intention of selling one (according to the seller himself). He even made it sound like he was doing enthusiasts a favor by purchasing two so he could scalp one to a person who missed out, lol. There is another SPY27 Mule on there with a Buy Out price of $225. Just bums me out. :/

Hopefully increased production (or whatever is decided by Spyderco to handle the situation) will help resolve the issue soon.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Did everyone get a shipping notice that ordered?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:42 am

Yes I received a shipping notice in a separate email from UPS. Mine shipped Friday and I received it yesterday.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yeah, it is about to arrive in Germany, I think.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
I got my shipping notice on Friday, only a few hours after placing the order. If you haven't gotten a notice yet, I'd reach out to the SFO and see what's what.

Tracking originally put my package here today.. then thursday.. now UPS has the status as "weather may cause delay," with no delivery estimate. Haha here's hoping my Mule isn't lost in a snowbank someplace..
Rick H.

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:13 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
I got my shipping notice on Friday, only a few hours after placing the order. If you haven't gotten a notice yet, I'd reach out to the SFO and see what's what.

Tracking originally put my package here today.. then thursday.. now UPS has the status as "weather may cause delay," with no delivery estimate. Haha here's hoping my Mule isn't lost in a snowbank someplace..
I had to update my profile at SFO, info was sent to old email address, so all is good here. I'm hoping your Mule makes it safe and sound :)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
archangel

Post by archangel »

Already being cleared by German customs... most curious how long it will take them to do it, and notify me. I've had imports where this was by far the longest part of the process.... :o
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I'm excited to try this out! My only example of SPY27, and also my only stainless Mule. Will post with updates after I've used it for awhile.

Also, I should have expected it, but I was surprised to see that this was made in Golden, and not Taichung.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:13 am
DSH007 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:13 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:

I had to update my profile at SFO, info was sent to old email address, so all is good here. I'm hoping your Mule makes it safe and sound :)
Glad all is well with your order Larry!

Mine is still showing a "weather delay." I'm sure it will turn up eventually!
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:03 pm
I'm excited to try this out! My only example of SPY27, and also my only stainless Mule. Will post with updates after I've used it for awhile.

Also, I should have expected it, but I was surprised to see that this was made in Golden, and not Taichung.
I went with the boltaron sheath for my MT28, but I'm really digging the look of those leather ones in in-person pictures.. I may have to pick one up at some point :)
Rick H.

Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 pm
I went with the boltaron sheath for my MT28, but I'm really digging the look of those leather ones in in-person pictures.. I may have to pick one up at some point :)
I've got a boltaron sheath from SheathPro is very similar, or possibly the same as the ones direct from Spyderco. I've also got a pair of kydex sheaths I made myself which are very functional (I use them for IWB carry) although not nearly as pretty. I think you'll like the boltaron - very well made and fits perfectly (assuming its similar/same as my SheathPro model).

I like to use the leather sheaths when I'm out hiking/camping as they tend to feel less tactical and to me feel better in the environment. The kydex/boltaron sheaths are my preference for use around the house (when I can figure out a reason to justify carrying a fixed blade). For my favorite fixed blade knives, I eventually end up with both a kydex and a leather sheath option - Mules, South Fork, BK16.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Yay! Threw on some old scales just to play around and hopefully, in the next few weeks, I can get to work on the next set.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049