Z-Max mule!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Josh Crutchley

Re: Z-Max mule!

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I just hope ZMax is like Maxamet when it comes to sharpening. I'm really enjoying my PM2 Maxamet.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Thanks everyone for the steel info!
Looks pretty good! I like the Rex series steels so this seems to be a good fit for me.
Steels become much more interesting when put into context among other ones.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm a noob when it comes to mules, how do I get one?

The S45VN version has not been released yet has it?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:46 pm

They are sold through Spyderco's site and store only, I believe.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:56 pm
Naperville wrote:

OK, thank you.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:56 pm
Naperville wrote:

Confirm Site/Store only, these don't go through the distributor network.

Confirm S45VN has not been released - just go to the Spyderco main page and search "mule" - MT 28, 29, and 31 (Spy 27, Z-Max, and S45VN respectively) all show as "Coming Soon."

Edit: And in other good news, apparently a Mule Team subforum is being developed, so you can learn all about mules.
sal

Post by sal »

The Mule Team project was to be able to provide exotic blade steels in a comparison mode So those interested in the different exotic blade steels could obtain them at the lowest cost possible. That's why they're consumer direct.

We make about 600 pieces per quarter of a particular steel. The foundries are cooperative because it give them an opportunity to have their steel put into the market. The steel Steel Junky's like it because they can get the Stuff" without custom makers and custom prices. We like it because we also learn about the steels in the Real-World-Testing" (RWT).

Kristi started special forum for Mule team discussion. She's been feeding it with past threads. I don't if it's live yet 'cuz I get to see it along with Mike.

sal
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Looking forward to the Special MT Forum when it goes live, and looking forward to the Z-Max Muleteam.

u.w.
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Is there any sort of a heads up when they become available or do I need to just check here (and there) obsessively until they're posted?
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

ChopSliceStab wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:04 pm
Is there any sort of a heads up when they become available or do I need to just check here (and there) obsessively until they're posted?
I would also love to know if there is any type of heads up on this. Also all three #28, #29, #31 mules have a listed price of $50, does that mean that will be their price? Finally what's makes the z-max steel version the "best" one or the one to get of the three?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:23 pm
ChopSliceStab wrote:
I would also love to know if there is any type of heads up on this. Also all three #28, #29, #31 mules have a listed price of $50, does that mean that will be their price? Finally what's makes the z-max steel version the "best" one or the one to get of the three?
Hi, WilliamMunny:
Welcome to our forum. We typically post an announcement on the forum within 1-2 weeks before a new Mule Team is released.

Yes, the three upcoming Mule Teams are all $50/each. The price can vary between Mule Teams, but the next three are all the same price.

Your last question is a little tougher. "Best" is subjective. It all comes down to what you value in a steel. I would recommend learning more about each steel to determine which one is "best" for your purposes. Truthfully, the discussion around "best" is at the heart of the entire Mule Team project. Testing each steel to see how they perform, and which one performs best in various situations is a huge part of why the project was created.

Regardless of which version you choose, we hope you come back here and share your experiences with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:54 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
ChopSliceStab wrote:
Hi, WilliamMunny:
Welcome to our forum. We typically post an announcement on the forum within 1-2 weeks before a new Mule Team is released.

Yes, the three upcoming Mule Teams are all $50/each. The price can vary between Mule Teams, but the next three are all the same price.

Your last question is a little tougher. "Best" is subjective. It all comes down to what you value in a steel. I would recommend learning more about each steel to determine which one is "best" for your purposes. Truthfully, the discussion around "best" is at the heart of the entire Mule Team project. Testing each steel to see how they perform, and which one performs best in various situations is a huge part of why the project was created.

Regardless of which version you choose, we hope you come back here and share your experiences with us.

Kristi
Usually such wear resistant steel cost more to finish. The Maxamet mule went for $110 and thats the closest steel to Z-max. I wasn't around when the Maxamet mule came out was there issues with production that increased the price? I'm glad the price is cheaper but just curious why? Did the experience gained with Maxamet reduce production costs?
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:54 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
ChopSliceStab wrote:
Hi, WilliamMunny:

Kristi
That is why I put best in quotes, but I know there will be one most people will want more. I have had a Manix for about 5 years with S30V and for what ever reason I never seems to hold a good edge over time. Felt like my old Endora in AUS 8 held a edge better even though I know it’s not possible. I was just looking for a steel that will hold an edge longer and s-max seemed it could be the best.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm gonna get one. It'll be the first Spydie I own multiples of. :eek: Oh well, I broke my rule before, so.... ;)

Gotta try this Z-Max on some food prep duty in the kitchen.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I'm gonna try to keep an eye out for this drop. I've only been involved in knives for about a year and have wanted a mule for a while, but haven't seen one drop yet on the SFO site yet. Hopefully I'll be able to snag one of these.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

This is a steel I’m very excited to try, if I can get one of these Mules.
eonbluemantra

Post by eonbluemantra »

How often are mules released?
edlaffoon

Post by edlaffoon »

I wish Spyderco would carve out a few more considering the recent surge of interest in all things outdoor. Demand is a wierd thing.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Edlaffoon,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

eonbluemantra wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:49 pm
How often are mules released?
They were being released at 3 to 4 month intervals back when the program was in full swing. Three have been announced in the Reveals, but this Friday will be the first new release in about 3 years.