Poll for Possible Folding Mule - Model Preference

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Which ones would you buy as mules?? Select all that apply

Para 3 LW
22%
Native LW
28%
Manix LW
13%
FRN UKPK
28%
FRN Urban
9%

Total votes: 134

steelcity16

Poll for Possible Folding Mule - Model Preference

Post by steelcity16 »

If the mule program gets new life breathed into it via a folding mule, what is your preference?? Select all of the ones that you would participate in by buying most or all of the new steels that are released in this format.

While my preference is the Para 3 LW, I would buy mules in any of these formats, so technically my vote is meaningless toward actually choosing a specific model. :D But I know there are some people who won't buy slip joints and some who can't carry fixed blades or longer blades. So this will help predict how many of a given platform they could actually sell.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Re: Poll for Possible Folding Mule - Model Preference

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks for starting the poll!

Voted for the Native, but still quite reluctantly.

For me a larger, more "long edged" knife is missing, think the upcoming Endela would be a good choice for that
(I know, the Manix has a quite similar blade length, but I would not like to carry one, since it is a huge overall package for the actual edge you're getting imho).

In the Native, I totally like the imho best backlock ever, but not the short actual edge and the (for me) more or less only 3 finger grip behind the choil.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Joey

Post by Joey »

After receiving a G10 UKPK recently, I’d say either that model, or the Para 3 in G10. If they were plastic, that’d be okay but I prefer G10 on some models. And I like those models!
It would be cool if they focused on two models for each mule run, but that’s wishful thinking at this point.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I know people are enthusiastic about the newish P3, but it is not a good design for testing steels, as far as I am concerned, and it is too expensive. It is okay for those who like to walk around showing a clip on their pocket (not knocking that), but simple all the time use, there are better options. Even my beloved Manix 2 LW is too big, though I would support this. Something Delica or Urban sized is good and practical, as far as I am concerned. The Native does not fit my hand well, for some reason, thought I love the lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The para3 is my current favorite. I edc one in a couple different steels. Don’t have the lw yet. I plan to get the Urban in aeb-l when it drops to try out the slipit as well as the steel.

I can safely say you could count me out of buying all or most of any format knife however. I’d be in for a few, especially steels I already know I like. Cruwear, M4, rex45, k390.... but I would generally avoid the high wear resistance stainless steels. BD1 would be cool, but perhaps too similar to aeb-l in use.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bump...please vote everyone! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Personally, I don't think any current model should be used as a "folding Mule Team model." Mostly because a poll like this ends up being a popularity contest for what would amount to sprint runs of the winning model.

Unfortunately, I can't vote in this poll. If a folding Mule Team becomes a reality, it should be a brand new design.
:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:50 pm
Personally, I don't think any current model should be used as a "folding Mule Team model." Mostly because a poll like this ends up being a popularity contest for what would amount to sprint runs of the winning model.

Unfortunately, I can't vote in this poll. If a folding Mule Team becomes a reality, it should be a brand new design.
+1, Same thoughts here so I didn't vote as the choice wasn't provided.

As I think about this more, I'll probably pass on a folding mule program and just read what others have to say in reviews and wait for my preferred steels to show up in my preferred models with preferred colors and preferred scale materials.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Caribbean design should be used for the folding mule. It would be fantastic! :)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:50 pm

Maybe that could be an argument for the Endela as a Mule platform?..actually not a "current" model yet, but a newly developed one,not released yet, good size but still legal in many places, base model quite unexpensive?

Though I know that will never happen most likely...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

My Preference:
I'd buy any of the five except for a Manix. I'd prefer the thinner blade and lower ramp of the upcoming Sage 5 LW to the Para 3 LW. I'd be happier with the Chaparral LW than a Delica, because my fingers are a bit cramped on the Delica, but I can use the choil on the Chap, and I like the thinner blade on the Chap.

Other Factors:
- Blade length and lock (or lack there of) for legality in the most jurisdictions.
- Handle shape to fit the most hands. Ex: Dan the loves the Delica but the N5 doesn't fit him well, while I'm the opposite.
- Do we as the community who will support this (AKA buy the knives) want these to be thick bladed, beefy locked, capable of taking abuse, like the original Mule fixed blade concept? Or do we want to move to a new concept of this folding mule being a way to test steels in the role of EDC folders, perhaps even going even further and using this to see what these steels can do in thin stock like the Chap or really thin grinds (a la the high hollow grind Sage 5 LW that some of us have asked for, and which Sal has been supportive of)?

Current Momentum:
-The soon to be released Urban sprint in AEB-L could be a test case for Spyderco to see if we'll buy other steels in a low cost folder. I think we all need to buy these quickly to show Eric that there is a market for a folding mule.
- The Sage 5 LW: Sal has said that the lower cost LW construction leaves open the possibility to try things different blade grades, steels, and handle colors.

Random thought:
The Centofante 3 has a very neutral handle shape. It's a little bigger than a Delica, so it fits somewhat larger hands. It doesn't have a finger choil, so edge length is maximized. Converting the Centofante 3 to screw construction and moving production to Taichung for broader steel selection could make for an interesting folding Mule, IMO.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Random thought:
The Centofante 3 has a very neutral handle shape. It's a little bigger than a Delica, so it fits somewhat larger hands. It doesn't have a finger choil, so edge length is maximized. Converting the Centofante 3 to screw construction and moving production to Taichung for broader steel selection could make for an interesting folding Mule, IMO.
I could live with the Centofante as a platform quite well, but just if the Mule versions would not be hollow/sabre grind, but ffg... the former is a too "specialized" grind imho for steel testing (and, yes, one I personally don't like particullary)
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

UKPK - for cost reasons. Manix is probably the best option to really test performance though...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The more I think about the more the Urban makes sense. Legality for the masses, LOW COST.

K390 sold out, AEB-L is likely to as well. The market is speaking. $70 is a good price point. I tried pushing the UKPK but looking at the poll(the ukpk poll, not this one) there doesn't seem to be enough interest. So if Spyderco wants to keep making Urbans with cool steel, I'll buy them.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Other.
:unicorn
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

Why in the world would Spyderco split testing and manufacturing small run experiments between Golden and Italy. Mind boggling.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I know most people prefer locking folders, but what about a friction folder? You could buy the blade and handle separately to try different steels, handle materials, handle shapes, etc. Super simple and less expensive as a "base model", but could be upgraded with a different handle (factory or after market).
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I am a bit surprised to see the Native LW ahead of the Para 3 LW at this point. Its hard for me to choose, because on one hand I like the Native LW better as a model and the strong backlock makes it great as a "mule", but it is a few bucks more expensive, the deep carry wire clips on the Para 3 LW is waaaay better than Native LW clip, and the production Para 3 LW is going to have waaaay more steels for apples to apples comparisons.

This does tell me that the Native LW should get some more exclusive love. Where is that Cruwear Native LW Sal said he wanted many many months ago???
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:07 pm
I am a bit surprised to see the Native LW ahead of the Para 3 LW at this point. Its hard for me to choose, because on one hand I like the Native LW better as a model and the strong backlock makes it great as a "mule", but it is a few bucks more expensive, the deep carry wire clips on the Para 3 LW is waaaay better than Native LW clip, and the production Para 3 LW is going to have waaaay more steels for apples to apples comparisons.

This does tell me that the Native LW should get some more exclusive love. Where is that Cruwear Native LW Sal said he wanted many many months ago???
Almost every post in this thread shows how (in a good way, don't get me wrong) different we all are and how almost impossible it is to find a Mule platform everybody would like... ;)

For me both Native and Para 3 are much too small and have much too short edges for my daily use, and I would not like to carry the one or the other regularely. Additionally, both don't offer a full four finger grip behind the choil and would be better off without a choil, but a longer actually usable handle imho.

If I was forced to choose between these two: Native, no doubt. Thinner stock, backlock, regular clip, all three aspects make me prefer it over the Para 3 lw.

Can't we agree on the Endela?! :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Can't we agree on the Endela?! :D

I wouldn't be opposed to the Endela or even the Delica, but I know Sal is said in the past that the Japanese makers don't have the ability to properly heat treat a lot of these steels, so that is why we don't see many non-Japanese steels in the Japanese models. I think I remember him saying it was quite an endeavor to get them to use S30V in the Delica. So to me it made sense that a folder would have to be made in Golden to be able to use the widest variety of steels.

Even the Urban seems to only be using European steels from Bohler Uddeholm, so I don't think that is a realistic option either.