Poll for Possible Folding Mule - Model Preference

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Which ones would you buy as mules?? Select all that apply

Para 3 LW
22%
Native LW
28%
Manix LW
13%
FRN UKPK
28%
FRN Urban
9%

Total votes: 134

Wartstein

Re: Poll for Possible Folding Mule - Model Preference

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Can't we agree on the Endela?! :D

I wouldn't be opposed to the Endela or even the Delica, but I know Sal is said in the past that the Japanese makers don't have the ability to properly heat treat a lot of these steels, so that is why we don't see many non-Japanese steels in the Japanese models. I think I remember him saying it was quite an endeavor to get them to use S30V in the Delica. So to me it made sense that a folder would have to be made in Golden to be able to use the widest variety of steels.

Even the Urban seems to only be using European steels from Bohler Uddeholm, so I don't think that is a realistic option either.
Did not know that, it's good Information, thank you!

In that case I'd personally vote for the upcoming Chief probably, but I know that would be overall a very selfish and very unrealistic choice... ;) (costs, not legal in many places, too large for a lot of people...)

So don't take me serious on that... but which GOLDEN model I'd actually and realistically choose, I can't say at the moment. Maybe a to-be-developed PM2 backlock lightweight ...
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I would actually like the para 3 g10 regular waight not the lw. Or a manix lw with screws not rivets. Can't do native it's a backlock. Urban would be my size out of the 2 slipits.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

The new Stretch Xl may be a good option.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

The new Stretch 2 Xl may be a good option.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

If I had to vote, it would be the UKPK because I like thin blades, but I'd really prefer a longer, pointier blade. I suggest the Stretch 2 as the platform because it seem to have a popular handle shape. (And a longer, pointier blade.)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Endura would be a great test mule
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I would prefer the native or ukpk, from the list provided. I would say the stretch 2 would be a good option, as well. I admit I like the mule being a simple option currently, which one can tailor to their own desires. One could technically make a current mule into their own folder..
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think the UKPK would give the greatest number of people the chance to participate in Mule testing.
bloggablu

Post by bloggablu »

Manix or native
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear bloggablue:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
attila

Post by attila »

UKPK for sure since:
It has better edge-length-to-handle ratio than the Native.
It’s legal in more places than the Manix due to being a slipit.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I don't want my mule to fold. I have plenty of folding knives.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:30 pm

Ditto here.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

There's nothing official about folding mules, right? The only advantage I can think of is that you could get more mules from a sheet of steel, so that you could use some materials that are difficult to source and have more Mules available. Of course, I have no idea how the mfring complexity compares.

I think a potential problem here is that some lockups and pivot mechanisms are more precise than others, so swapping out folding blades repeatedly could result in a bunch of mechanical problems, poor lock up, blade play, lock stick. That said, I think my hypothetical choice would be something like a Tenacious with a backlock. Tenacious because it already resembles the Mule very closely, and a backlock because for some reason I believe it's a more secure lock with less dependence of tight tolerances. I could be wrong there, tho'.

The thought of repeatedly swapping out a compression lock blade, or a ball bearing lock like the manix, sounds less than ideal.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bolster wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:17 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:30 pm

Ditto here.
Same here.

Technically the PM2 and other knives are folding Mules as you have them in multiple steels just like the mules ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don’t think it is a good idea for Spyderco to consider a folding Mule, but if they did the UKPK makes the most sense to me of the knives in the poll. A friction folder would make even more sense, while a fixed blade makes the most sense. ;)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

bobartig wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:17 am
I think a potential problem here is that some lockups and pivot mechanisms are more precise than others, so swapping out folding blades repeatedly could result in a bunch of mechanical problems, poor lock up, blade play, lock stick. That said, I think my hypothetical choice would be something like a Tenacious with a backlock. Tenacious because it already resembles the Mule very closely, and a backlock because for some reason I believe it's a more secure lock with less dependence of tight tolerances. I could be wrong there, tho'.

The thought of repeatedly swapping out a compression lock blade, or a ball bearing lock like the manix, sounds less than ideal.
Why would you swap out blades?

The idea of a folding mule was to run the complete folder--not just the blade.

My vote remains UKPK so it would be accessible to more people.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well at the time of my previous vote I was very enamored of the Para3. I still like it but don’t need more, and the mule ought to be a blade that can showcase cutting prowess - something slicey. An Endura LW aka Pac Salt would be awesome. UKPK would probably be a great choice, opening things up for European members. I’ll change my vote accordingly.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I voted UK Pen , if this would ever come be a reality I would hope it would be a format that could reach as many users as possible. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mokele

Post by mokele »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:50 pm
Personally, I don't think any current model should be used as a "folding Mule Team model." Mostly because a poll like this ends up being a popularity contest for what would amount to sprint runs of the winning model.

Unfortunately, I can't vote in this poll. If a folding Mule Team becomes a reality, it should be a brand new design.
:spyder:
This!
I will not vote either for the same reason.
For me the closest to ideal will be stretch or stretch xl, but I wouldn't even vote for those because it has to be something new