Need help picking out a Mule.

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Chopping Broccoli

Need help picking out a Mule.

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

With the news that the Mule team project is coming to an end, I realized I have one more set of Halpern scales that are unused. I'd like to pick out one more Mule to order before they are all gone. I'm looking for some suggestions based on the current available Mules.

My current Mule collection consists of:
K390 x2
S110V x2
CPM 20CV x1
LC200N x1

Of the current Mule offerings that I do not have on Spyderco's website it looks like the following are available:

CTS B70P
RWL 34
Micro Melt A11
Micro Melt PD#1

I guess I have two main criteria in what I'm looking for. First would be stainless. I'm just not a fan of patina knives so the Mule that has the most corrosion resistance would be the most likely pick. Second would be something different to compliment the Mule's I already have. I think I'm leaning towards the RWL 34 Mule. Any other Mule experts have some suggestions for me?
koenigsegg

Re: Need help picking out a Mule.

Post by koenigsegg »

I can't look up the others but a11 is basically k390 and pd1 is cruwear and both patina
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You have 2 K390 so I would pass on the A11. They are very similar and not stainless.

PD1 is basically Cruwear. It is pretty stainless in my experience but is not considered stainless. I absolutely love Cruwear. Do you have a Cruwear folder? If not I would get the pd1 and check it out.

RWL34 is basically CPM154. I don't have any experience with it but it is reported to be a great basic stainless steel.

B70P looks really cool and it is quite unique. The allow content is not really high but it does have a touch of niobium. Not many alloys with that in it.

Since you mentioned stainless being important don't rule out LC200N. I am pretty sure it is still available.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Chopping Broccoli

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:36 am
You have 2 K390 so I would pass on the A11. They are very similar and not stainless.

PD1 is basically Cruwear. It is pretty stainless in my experience but is not considered stainless. I absolutely love Cruwear. Do you have a Cruwear folder? If not I would get the pd1 and check it out.

RWL34 is basically CPM154. I don't have any experience with it but it is reported to be a great basic stainless steel.

B70P looks really cool and it is quite unique. The allow content is not really high but it does have a touch of niobium. Not many alloys with that in it.

Since you mentioned stainless being important don't rule out LC200N. I am pretty sure it is still available.
Very helpful. Thanks. I already have the LC200N Mule. It's pretty sweet. I like that steel. PD1 sounds interesting. I do not currently have a Cruwear folder. I might need to research that one.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Oops! Didn't see the LC200N there for some reason.

Also, why does my stupid phone ( who named them smart phones? ) insist on changing alloy to allow all the time?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I'm about to purchase my 1st mule and this sounds like the perfect start.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Found it!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
QUICKSILVER

Post by QUICKSILVER »

Is the Mule team project is really coming to an end?

All I could find was a July 3rd post where Sal said "No new Mule Teams planned at this time."
I think this means suspension with the possibility of resumption in the future.

I know there was a lot of discussion about changes, but I don't remember Sal saying the current mules were being discontinued.

I collect the current mules & would like to know the fate of the current mule program.

Bill Maier
talesk

Post by talesk »

Where are you buying from?

I was thinking about getting a mule. Probably lc200n.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
Chopping Broccoli

talesk wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:47 pm

I'm pretty sure the only place you can buy them is from spyderco.com

LC200N would be a good pick of the current ones available.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Chopping Broccoli wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 am
... the Mule's I already have.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Chopping Broccoli

Bloke wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:13 pm
Chopping Broccoli wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 am
... the Mule's I already have.

Is that Mule stainless?
talesk

Post by talesk »

Chopping Broccoli wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:09 pm
talesk wrote:

It looks like they are out of stock.. Do you just check daily for stock?
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
In the mail:
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

talesk wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:35 pm
Chopping Broccoli wrote:
talesk wrote:

Your best bet is to call them. The website doesn't always follow reality
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
talesk

Post by talesk »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 pm
talesk wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:35 pm
Chopping Broccoli wrote:
talesk wrote:

Your best bet is to call them. The website doesn't always follow reality

Thanks to all in this thread. I completed my order for my first mule (lc200n).

Issues with the website for international checkout but the people in the shop were able to processed it manually.

Good crew over at the spyderco outlet.
In the mail:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That's great!

I thought the LC200N ones were all gone. I bought a PD#1 instead, and I'm still working on putting handles on. (Been really busy the past few weeks.)

Enjoy that mule and let us know what you think.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
talesk

Post by talesk »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 pm
That's great!

I thought the LC200N ones were all gone. I bought a PD#1 instead, and I'm still working on putting handles on. (Been really busy the past few weeks.)

Enjoy that mule and let us know what you think.
Website error. I called the shop and they updated the stock. There are about 50 left.

I am excited to play with lc500n!
In the mail:
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

talesk wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 pm
I am excited to play with lc500n!
Me too !!
talesk

Post by talesk »

QUICKSILVER wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:22 pm

All I could find was a July 3rd post where Sal said "No new Mule Teams planned at this time."

I know there was a lot of discussion about changes, but I don't remember Sal saying the current mules were being discontinued.

I collect the current mules & would like to know the fate of the current mule program.

Bill Maier
I spoke with spyderco outlet today.

The paraphrased short version is :

Mule is not cancelled. They are taking a break and working through current inventory before making a new mule.

So I guess your wallet gets a brief reprieve before the next minute shows up.
In the mail:
talesk

Post by talesk »

talesk wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:32 pm
QUICKSILVER wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Bill Maier
I spoke with spyderco outlet today.

The paraphrased short version is :

Mule is not cancelled. They are taking a break and working through current inventory before making a new mule.

So I guess your wallet gets a brief reprieve before the next mule shows up.
In the mail:
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

For the OP -- it all depends on your tastes really.

The B70P gets top points for being something nobody has ever heard of or talks about.

I sure like the A11 (but I don't have any K390, so it is pretty unique in my world). You essentially never need to sharpen it. Crazy stuff.
It will rust. I was using my A11 mule in the kitchen and on a tip pulled the scales off and indeed water was being held under the scales by
capillary action and some rust was developing. No big deal given that part of the knife can be aggressively brushed clean.
But now my LC200N mule is my "kitchen knife". The nice part about a mule in the kitchen is that you have an excuse to use it
all the time.

I am waiting for Bloke to take note of "mule in the kitchen" and come up with something.

Nothing like a mule in the kitchen!