Hey Sal, any chance of a Vanax SC mule??

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Haunted House

Re: Hey Sal, any chance of a Vanax SC mule??

Post by Haunted House »

Beautiful knife! Personally, I really like the jimping.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Xplorer wrote:
Mr. Kelly you have been killing me with your handle design, beautiful work! What does one have to do to get a custom from you? I think I still have two kidneys, haha.

I need this steel in my life :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:29 am
Xplorer wrote:
Mr. Kelly you have been killing me with your handle design, beautiful work! What does one have to do to get a custom from you? I think I still have two kidneys, haha.

That's very nice of you!! :) First, I must say that I hate having to disappoint people when they ask about getting a custom knife from me. I guess I'm fortunate to be in a position that this is happening every few days, but the more it happens the more difficult it is to me. I definitely wish I could take everyone's order and make beautiful knives for everyone that requests one.

Since I am currently focused on making progress in an effort to become the best knife maker I can be (and I make my income elsewhere), I don't really take orders for knives. Every few months I sell a knife when I need to buy more supplies, but since I don't make my living selling knives right now I don't want to slow my progress by spending time repeating the same designs over and over.

The knife you see here was a project that allowed me to make and utilize something I had not made in the past (hidden hardware), while helping out a friend at the same time. Additionally, Lance and I both would like to see Spyderco offer something in Vanax and this was a good way to keep that conversation going. ;)

What you've seen from me so far has been just the beginning of a journey that I intend to continue pursuing for the rest of my life. I am currently building prototype #5 of my back-lock folder design that I plan to introduce in early 2020. If all goes well I hope to have 6 folders and 6-8 fixed blades available at one of the big knife shows next year. Updates will be posted on my Instagram.

I sincerely thank you for the request and the kind words. :) :)

Best regards,
Chad Kelly
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Fantastic work, Congratulations Chad.
Hope this helps Spyderco to bring the Vanax to the market.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Xplorer wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:21 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:29 am
Xplorer wrote:

That's very nice of you!! :) First, I must say that I hate having to disappoint people when they ask about getting a custom knife from me. I guess I'm fortunate to be in a position that this is happening every few days, but the more it happens the more difficult it is to me. I definitely wish I could take everyone's order and make beautiful knives for everyone that requests one.

Since I am currently focused on making progress in an effort to become the best knife maker I can be (and I make my income elsewhere), I don't really take orders for knives. Every few months I sell a knife when I need to buy more supplies, but since I don't make my living selling knives right now I don't want to slow my progress by spending time repeating the same designs over and over.

The knife you see here was a project that allowed me to make and utilize something I had not made in the past (hidden hardware), while helping out a friend at the same time. Additionally, Lance and I both would like to see Spyderco offer something in Vanax and this was a good way to keep that conversation going. ;)

What you've seen from me so far has been just the beginning of a journey that I intend to continue pursuing for the rest of my life. I am currently building prototype #5 of my back-lock folder design that I plan to introduce in early 2020. If all goes well I hope to have 6 folders and 6-8 fixed blades available at one of the big knife shows next year. Updates will be posted on my Instagram.

I sincerely thank you for the request and the kind words. :) :)

Best regards,
Chad Kelly
To be clear, the knife I want is my own design(kinda). But I understand, I'll just have to keep pining away at them. If you ever change your mind, It'll probably be to shut me up ;)

Also, if I ever get around to finishing the cad model I'm working on, I'll have to send you a copy. It might be up your alley.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Lance that knife is stunning! Excellent work Chad.
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

Just found this thead. Another work of art chad maybe your new career is calling you, could be time to go fulltime bladesmith. Anything in vanax would be great Sal, sprints, mule, swick etc
Cheers
junkMan

Post by junkMan »

Wow, that is absolutely one of the nicest fixed blades I have ever seen....hats off to you sir!
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hey Sal, any chance of a Vanax SC mule?
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Reviving an old thread to wonder if we will ever see a Vanax mule? Hardly anyone is using it and it is quite desirable. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, LC200N and Magna Cut are amazing. I would love to have a tiny surfing knife made from this steel. “Surfing knife” you say? Yes! There may be a time when you need to cut a leash or kelp or some random line. Where do you wear a knife when surfing? Not on your leg. Not on your neck. Not in your shorts.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
bwj109

Post by bwj109 »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:41 am
Reviving an old thread to wonder if we will ever see a Vanax mule? Hardly anyone is using it and it is quite desirable. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, LC200N and Magna Cut are amazing. I would love to have a tiny surfing knife made from this steel. “Surfing knife” you say? Yes! There may be a time when you need to cut a leash or kelp or some random line. Where do you wear a knife when surfing? Not on your leg. Not on your neck. Not in your shorts.
I think most knife steel needs understand the costs involved with procuring it, but I think the other issue is it being uddeholm? Harder for them to procure from EU due to tariffs?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

bwj109 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:37 pm
Fireman wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:41 am
Reviving an old thread to wonder if we will ever see a Vanax mule? Hardly anyone is using it and it is quite desirable. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, LC200N and Magna Cut are amazing. I would love to have a tiny surfing knife made from this steel. “Surfing knife” you say? Yes! There may be a time when you need to cut a leash or kelp or some random line. Where do you wear :winking-tongue a knife when surfing? Not on your leg. Not on your neck. Not in your shorts :winking-tongue .
I think most knife steel needs understand the costs involved with procuring it, but I think the other issue is it being uddeholm? Harder for them to procure from EU due to tariffs?
Maybe Sal can trade some Magna Cut and Spy 27 for it :winking-tongue
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.