MT18P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring CPM-S110V

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

JNewell wrote:Sal's answer:
Am I the only one that, when I click on Sal's quote to be taken to the original thread so I can read it in context, am given an invalid link?
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
cckw

Post by cckw »

jabba359 wrote:Am I the only one that, when I click on Sal's quote to be taken to the original thread so I can read it in context, am given an invalid link?
Apparently yes.. When I clicked it I got Sal's cell phone number
Holland

Post by Holland »

JNewell wrote:And that's exactly what Sal's reporting. :D What a custom maker like Phil Wilson can do, and what anyone can do in a production context, are two different things. We're fortunate that Spyderco is owned and run by steelheads (and I don't mean trout).
Well said sir
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

jabba359 wrote:Am I the only one that, when I click on Sal's quote to be taken to the original thread so I can read it in context, am given an invalid link?
Me too. I think that may mean it was pasted from the blade forum. I think I can remember that the first couple of quotes I pasted from there to this forum (months ago) had functional link "buttons," but since than I've never been able to get them to work.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

It's a quote from BF. Copy the post ID #, go to BF and search for the post #.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

DougC-3 wrote:Me too. I think that may mean it was pasted from the blade forum. I think I can remember that the first couple of quotes I pasted from there to this forum (months ago) had functional link "buttons," but since than I've never been able to get them to work.
Correct.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Fancier wrote:Looking at Phil Wilson's website he states that the optimal S110V hardness (for his purposes) would be HRC 62. If we get within a point or two of what he manages I'd call it a success.

It's not just the HRC hardness, it's the method of heat treating and tempering that matters.

The HRC range should be fine on the Mules.
VashHash wrote:Well there goes my plan to stop buying so many knives. The Native is nice but i much rather go mule to mule for that S110V to K390 head to head. Count me in i better start collecting more expired nylon straps.
Should make for an interesting test for those who want to do it.
JNewell wrote:And that's exactly what Sal's reporting. :D What a custom maker like Phil Wilson can do, and what anyone can do in a production context, are two different things. We're fortunate that Spyderco is owned and run by steelheads (and I don't mean trout).

Yes there is a HUGE difference in what Phil Wilson can do and what can be done in a production setting...

And that's what one pays for in a custom knife from a Master.

Sal does the best that he can to bring the highest performance production blades to the market that can be done.

And he is good at it as history has shown us, and raising the bar of performance all the time.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Ankerson wrote:It's not just the HRC hardness, it's the method of heat treating and tempering that matters.
Did not know this, thanks for the education :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
sal

Post by sal »

Molly wrote:Thanks!!! I was a long time reader but this 110V Mule forced me to make my 1st post at last :) . I was hoping to get superb slicer with 64HRC blade :( but anyway I will try to score one! :)

P.S. I was employed at the company that is the only official Spyderco dealer in Ukraine so I'm more than familial with Spyderco knives : :spyder:
Hi Molly,

Sorry about the Rc, We do our best.

Glad to connect you to a company and a country. You guys are a special customer, and Ukraine is a special country. Sorry to hear you're having so many issues, but we always believe in the people.

If you have trouble scoring one, contact Lisa. She can help

sal
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Molly wrote:Thanks!!! I was a long time reader but this 110V Mule forced me to make my 1st post at last :) . I was hoping to get superb slicer with 64HRC blade :( but anyway I will try to score one! :)

P.S. I was employed at the company that is the only official Spyderco dealer in Ukraine so I'm more than familial with Spyderco knives : :spyder:
Even Phil Wilson's only running S110V at 62.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Sal. hope your phone lines and bandwidth hold up on this one!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JNewell wrote:Even Phil Wilson's only running S110V at 62.
Depends on what model he is making and for who really, and how thin he grinds it.

62 to the 64 range depending...

But for a production knife 60-61 is fine, I seriously doubt people would ever see S110V in the higher ranges unless they could rent time in a aerospace furnace.

S110V is a very interesting steel.
Molly

Post by Molly »

sal wrote:Sorry about the Rc, We do our best.

Glad to connect you to a company and a country. You guys are a special customer, and Ukraine is a special country. Sorry to hear you're having so many issues, but we always believe in the people.
Thanks for the kind words! I was not trying to complain or critique the coming S110V Mule in any way! It's the great chance to get a piece of rare steel for everyone! If only it was a few inches longer... i.e. 4"-5"-6" ;) :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Molly wrote:Thanks for the kind words! I was not trying to complain or critique the coming S110V Mule in any way! It's the great chance to get a piece of rare steel for everyone! If only it was a few inches longer... i.e. 4"-5"-6" ;) :)
Second that - we have one of my scores of Mules in the kitchen. It's handy...but short. :spyder: Still, once started, comparability is (IMHO) everything.
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

I truly began to appreciate the quality of my Elmax mule when I put it in the kitchen knife block and started to compare it to my kitchen knives. It is an excellent paring knife.
saltybones

Post by saltybones »

definitely gonna snag one of these!!
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting about the size. We worked on the design for the model for quite a while. Trying to guess what folks might use one for is tough. A 6" knife is large for the bush, but short for the kitchen. Too late to change now. :o

sal
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

In spite of my comment, I think the blade size is fine. You can't address all uses in a single design. :) I also think the handle design is very well done - it's very comfortable even with aggressive use.
Sierra_dave

Post by Sierra_dave »

sal wrote:Interesting about the size. We worked on the design for the model for quite a while. Trying to guess what folks might use one for is tough. A 6" knife is large for the bush, but short for the kitchen. Too late to change now. :o

sal
Hi Sal,

I know everyone has different preferences in knife length and shape, but I find this model to be very handy for use in many areas. I use my mules in the yard, the kitchen and when hunting. The Spyderco Mules are an excellent series and I can't wait for the s110v.

What I need now is a good leather double sheath for hunting/hiking to hold this and one of my larger knives. Thank you for making all your great knives.
Dave
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Sierra_dave wrote:Hi Sal,

I know everyone has different preferences in knife length and shape, but I find this model to be very handy for use in many areas. I use my mules in the yard, the kitchen and when hunting. The Spyderco Mules are an excellent series and I can't wait for the s110v.

What I need now is a good leather double sheath for hunting/hiking to hold this and one of my larger knives. Thank you for making all your great knives.
Dave
Contact Dwayne at http://www.armoralleather.com/ to make you a sheath, he is one of the best.