MT18P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring CPM-S110V

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Oh yes, it will be mine.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:Yeah I guess that is all true, I just never thought about it that way. I always envision the mules to be a hot new unknown steel since the mule project is somewhat geared towards testing and evaluation.
I think that's true, but it's also a platform for consistent comparisons of steels - I'd like to see a few more standbys in the line. For example, I'd really love to see and S30V (not the old Woodcraft version, but a true MT blade).
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

Holland wrote:I really wish the Mules fit my hands better.
+1.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
FarmerTed

Post by FarmerTed »

Evil D wrote:Isn't it a little weird to have a mule after the steel has been in use in production already (not that I'm complaining!)
Not at all. It's a knife to test the steel itself without spending as much as a production knife would cost. A production fixed blade knife with comparable steel, the Southfork is S90 and the retail is $430. So I won't be complaining about it, but giving a thanks to Sal and Spyderco for continuing the Mule series.
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Good news. :)
Hold Fast

David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Need to get one of those somehow. :D
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

OHH YES! we were waiting for this one! thank you :spyder: !
110V! since i wasn't lucky enough to get a forum native, i'm all in for this one!
aogami super blue dragonfly!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jim,

Good to see you here.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:Hi Jim,

Good to see you here.

sal
Hi Sal.

Yes, still around. :)

Jim
Holland

Post by Holland »

partizaan81 wrote:I've been trying to think of a knife I could get for my unborn son for when he's older, I'm thinking this might fit the bill :)
sounds like a great idea :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Molly

Post by Molly »

What is the planned HT hardness and steel finish? I hope something close to 64HRC with Stonewash??? :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Molly wrote:What is the planned HT hardness and steel finish? I hope something close to 64HRC with Stonewash??? :)
I would love the same, but it would anticipate the finish to be satin. The only Mule I remember having a stonewash-like finish was the Cruwear (with the corrected HT). I am not sure what the target hardness is though.

Welcome to the forum BTW!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Molly wrote:What is the planned HT hardness and steel finish? I hope something close to 64HRC with Stonewash??? :)
xceptnl wrote:I would love the same, but it would anticipate the finish to be satin. The only Mule I remember having a stonewash-like finish was the Cruwear (with the corrected HT). I am not sure what the target hardness is though.

Welcome to the forum BTW!
Sal's answer [edit: at Bladeforums]:
Sal Glesser wrote:60-61

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Molly,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Molly

Post by Molly »

xceptnl wrote:Welcome to the forum BTW!
sal wrote:Welcome to our forum.
sal
Thanks!!! I was a long time reader but this 110V Mule forced me to make my 1st post at last :) . I was hoping to get superb slicer with 64HRC blade :( but anyway I will try to score one! :)

P.S. I was employed at the company that is the only official Spyderco dealer in Ukraine so I'm more than familial with Spyderco knives : :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

Molly wrote:Thanks!!! I was a long time reader but this 110V Mule forced me to make my 1st post at last :) . I was hoping to get superb slicer with 64HRC blade :( but anyway I will try to score one! :)

P.S. I was employed at the company that is the only official Spyderco dealer in Ukraine so I'm more than familial with Spyderco knives : :spyder:
Very cool! welcome to the forums!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Looking at Phil Wilson's website he states that the optimal S110V hardness (for his purposes) would be HRC 62. If we get within a point or two of what he manages I'd call it a success.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Well there goes my plan to stop buying so many knives. The Native is nice but i much rather go mule to mule for that S110V to K390 head to head. Count me in i better start collecting more expired nylon straps.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Fancier wrote:Looking at Phil Wilson's website he states that the optimal S110V hardness (for his purposes) would be HRC 62. If we get within a point or two of what he manages I'd call it a success.
And that's exactly what Sal's reporting. :D What a custom maker like Phil Wilson can do, and what anyone can do in a production context, are two different things. We're fortunate that Spyderco is owned and run by steelheads (and I don't mean trout).
JLS

Post by JLS »

JNewell wrote:We're fortunate that Spyderco is owned and run by steelheads (and I don't mean trout).
Amen to that. I was introducing a co-worker to clipped one-hand openers and lent him a Delica to try out the concept. In walked another co-worker and as we talked about knives, he made the comment that I'm a "Spyderco guy" and asked why. After a brief thought, I replied it's because of the steel, the ergonomics and the value. That's what it is to me on a personal level. I love the value and the well-thought out ergonomics, but the steel that is chosen and how it's heat treated is what keeps me hooked.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...