Mule #2 timing

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
The Mastiff

Mule #2 timing

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm probably in the minority here but I wanted to express my feelings on the timing of it. I was wondering if, say by some chance it was ready soon, it could be held off a month. Most of us just bought 3 or more spydercos this month alone ( police, rookie, ZDP Lum) , some more.

I have nightmares possibly one of the best steels ever used in a production knife going on sale while I'm too broke to buy it. I know Sal stated that holding them , or inventorying them cost money and he wanted to stay away from that but this was kind of an exceptional month.

I don't even know if it is coming soon but if it is, can it be next month soon? My opinion only, not speaking for anyone else. Thanks, Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Joe,

We've got two runs in-the-works. I'm guessing late September for one of them. We'll hold the other for a few months. I'd like to get two or three on the shelf and release by date and not by "when they're done".

I was thinking two or three per year?

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

The Mastiff wrote:I'm probably in the minority here ...
I can't answer if minority or not, can only tell you that I'm on your side ;)

We wait for #2 and a lot of Mules will follow, the run is a war of nerves (can speak only for my person).
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Darn! I'm going to be out of town and away from the internet for a week and a half in late September. I sure hope that this run doesn't sell out too fast for me to get one, I love the 52100 version.

Gordon
gac

Post by gac »

I'm way out of the loop on this one. What steels were chosen?
LightHearted

Post by LightHearted »

Yeah, what steel? I missed the first one and am making double sure that I get in on this run.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thanks for the response Sal. Your plan sounds perfect to me. Knowing an appx. release date sure helps with the budgeting. Thanks again Sal. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

I believe M4 was chosen (probably a CPM steel), which supposedly has the 'best' edge retention among stainless steels. I have no idea what it compromises to get that, though - we'll wait and see.
fultoncoshooter

Post by fultoncoshooter »

Oh **** yeah im ready!!! im ready !!!
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

the M4 is at the top of my list,
so i hope it's next ;}

peace
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

Happiness!

I was about to post a thread asking if the whole project had been cancelled or something and continuing to lament that I didn't spring for one in January.

I'm not picky about the exact steel, but I'm really excited for the whole DIY aspect.
CWO

Post by CWO »

I for one will take them as soon as they are ready!!! :)
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Anything else known about the mule #2, folder or fixed, production numbers? I missed the first mule so i hope theres enough produced for me to get one this time! Anytime is good for me! Thanks!
balew6254

Post by balew6254 »

As a lurker/newbie to the spyderco forums, How do you get in the que to purchase a mule?

Thanks,
bruce
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

GoMeR, the Mule is a fixed blade with no scales or sheath - thus the "do-it-yourself aspect". It is simply a way to get new steel into the hands of the steel junkies as inexpensively as possible. Well, that was the theory anyway. In reality, Sal gave us the best drop-point hunter kit knife blade ever marketed.

balew6254, there is no que, no sign-up, no pre-order list so far. TazKristi starts a thread to warn us they are coming soon, and I start checking the "New Knives" section of the main site five times a day until they get listed, and I order as soon as I see them. At least, that's what worked for me last time. ;) They sell through the SFO directly to spare us the middleman markup.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Any updates on the release date yet? I feel like a child the night before Christmas!! :D
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

We're getting really close.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Slick

Post by Slick »

balew6254 wrote:As a lurker/newbie to the spyderco forums, How do you get in the que to purchase a mule?

Thanks,
bruce
Stop sleeping and stay logged on to Spydeco.com or here. Don't go to work unless you can keep checking the Spyderco website from work.

I hope Spyderco got the email and will increase the size of this second issue. I hope Spyderco does not over produce this second issue of the Mule. I want mine but it will be a balancing act to produce an appropriate number of knives. As much as I want my Mule 2 Sal must sell what Spyderco produces.

I bet this second mule run will be appropritly sized to the demand.

Thank god I'm not making these desisions for Spyderco. I'd get fired for sure.

BTW is Spyderco publicly traded or closely held? I'm betting they are not a public company. If it wasn't six hours until alarm-clock-**** I'd look it up.

Good night.
Not really all that slick ;)
MCM

Post by MCM »

Is the next one going to be M4? Pre-ordered a (non Spydie) folder in M4 today, should be out next month.

So the race is on! I check this thread every day!
Maybe tomorrow?

Can you let us know the blade steel on the next one out?

Thanks
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
HaroldB

Post by HaroldB »

Well,
Tomorrow's October 1st, so it must be delayed? :confused: