Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Brad S.

Show your Mule

Post by Brad S. »

Well I figured since everyone is starting to get their Mules. Handles and cord wraps are getting done. Lets have a picture thread. :)

So post your Mule :D :D :D

I'll start of course with mine.

Natural G-10 With an Anso texture. It looks better in person, the picture didnt turn out as well as I woud have liked. And a very simple sheath. :)

Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Great looking Mule you got there! May I ask what you use to get that textured effect? Is it done with a file?

Looking forward to seeing more pics from other members as well.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
jaislandboy

Okay

Post by jaislandboy »

nice job Brad I like it :cool:
Just got this a few hours ago :D

brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

The texture is done with a dremel and then a light beadblast to eat away at the resin but not at the glass.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Tricod wrote:The texture is done with a dremel and then a light beadblast to eat away at the resin but not at the glass.
Cool. Thanks for replying.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Okay, here's mine. Simple cordwrap and even more simple cardboard and duct tape sheath (made to fit in the ruler pocket of my carpenter jeans).
Attachments
CIMG0227 (Medium).JPG
CIMG0227 (Medium).JPG (53.89 KiB) Viewed 61843 times
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

nice job Yab :cool:
This 52100 Mule is my 1st experience with an "uncoated" high carbon blade...I've got a soft spot for the full flat ground leaf shaped blades like the Caly3, Lil Temp, Temperance and this 3mm thick blade feels like a slimmer/longer bladed Lil' Temp fixed blade (well sort of :rolleyes: ) ....but yeah, its breathtakingly sharp and will give the zdp189 Caly3 a run for the money... I don't think I'll be wrapping this one w/ paracord as i worry about moisture retention on this high carbon blade....I think eventually G-10 or Micarta will be the ticket.....heck its already getting a patina after handling it for some pix...
here's my Mule with some friends ;)
brian
GMArthur

Post by GMArthur »

jaislandboy wrote: Image
Look through the spyderhole you must...hmmm
If a jedi you are to become.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

tricod -- the final effect is breathtaking! i was very curious what sort of scales you'd settle upon for your own mule... i can't imagine anything more tasteful!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i'm contemplating getting some G10 and going nuts making my own mule scales, but i'm a little concerned about the whole pin issue. what are my alternatives (if any) to getting special, hard-to-find pins, or fabricating them? how would the G10 do simply epoxied to the handle?
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Thanks for your comments everyone :)
clovisc wrote:i'm contemplating getting some G10 and going nuts making my own mule scales, but i'm a little concerned about the whole pin issue. what are my alternatives (if any) to getting special, hard-to-find pins, or fabricating them? how would the G10 do simply epoxied to the handle?
You could use G10 epoxyed to the scales however I would also reccommend at least getting some 1/8" barrel screws. Even without the space they are better than no hardware. If you drill the scales to fit the barrel screw and then epoxy the scales on the epoxy will fill up the gaps in the holes and create a solid joint. The problem is that your scales will slide all over the place while glueng becuase of the epoxy. Makeing them very difficult to line up.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

my temporary solution is wrapping the mule with cloth, zambia village-style... :D combined this idea with peter atwood's technique for wrapping a knife... it's on there good and tight. the results are pretty sufficient as a temporary solution... i actually like the cloth wrap enough to consider keeping my mule just as it is now!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Here's mine- temporarily cord wrapped until I figure out the fastener situation. I hope to work on a Kydex sheath tonight.

Brad, what did you use to seal the edges of your Kydex? I generally use eyelets.

So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

I would prefer eyelets. I however dont have the tools to crimp them. So I used a Acrylic Solvent Cement. It seems to work quite well. But I am no sheathmaker so... :o

I'm looking into getting a press so I can use rivots or eyelets and the use the Teklocks as well.

Anyword on the fastners?
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

araneae

Post by araneae »

Tricod wrote:I would prefer eyelets. I however dont have the tools to crimp them. So I used a Acrylic Solvent Cement. It seems to work quite well. But I am no sheathmaker so... :o

I'm looking into getting a press so I can use rivots or eyelets and the use the Teklocks as well.

Anyword on the fastners?
Your sheath came out nice. You can find an inexpensive eyelet tool at most craft stores. I think they even have them at Wal Mart in the craft area. It's a small tool with a separate base that you tap with a hammer. It has worked for me so far.

As far as the fasteners go check your PM.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

yablanowitz wrote:Okay, here's mine. Simple cordwrap and even more simple cardboard and duct tape sheath (made to fit in the ruler pocket of my carpenter jeans).
Hey Yab, mine is even more high-tech than yours ;) :D

brian
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

GMArthur wrote:Look through the spyderhole you must...hmmm
If a jedi you are to become.
lol GMArthur :D

I forgot that I had another high carbon blade in the Douk-Douk but it has a pretty soft Rc @ 50-53 ... :)
brian
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

I love your guys cord wraps... Keep em coming
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

A-Knife

Got mine - no camera available (yet)

Post by A-Knife »

Hi guys,

I got mine today (could have been Friday, but we were not at home when UPS came). Unfortunately, my wife took the camera to work today, so no pictures yet. I'm looking for some inspiration on the forum what kind of handle to put on. I have two, so I'll probably leave one blank.

BTW, luckily the packaging was good. The point is so sharp that it almost pierced the Spyderco box. Some extra protective material would be good to save the box from being damaged. ;) For the rest, excellent quality and speedy delivery, glad to have them. :D

André
flipe8

Still waitng for mine...

Post by flipe8 »

Hopefully, it will be here any day now. Anyone from Canada order one? If yes, has it arrived yet?
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience