Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
bob-atlatl

Re: Show your Mule

Post by bob-atlatl »

captnvegtble: really like the shaping touches on the SPY27 above, plus your use of natural wood.
my next mule will look more like this SPY27, just not sure which steel yet.
... rule #9 ...
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:05 pm
Some of you folks run the handle material so close to the blade, it reminds me of a ruffle collar.

Not that there's anything wrong with a ruffle collar.
Haha! Love the imagery.

Yeah, I could pull the handle back a little bit from the blade... sometimes when I sharpen it runs the risk of scuffing the wood on the sharpening stone. But I go close on purpose because I like to choke up close to the edge, and when I grind the numb down it creates less of a guard against my hand slipping... it's not at all a safety issue, but having the handle go right to the edge with a little bit of swell helps lock my hand in place right where I want it.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

bob-atlatl wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:08 pm
captnvegtble: really like the shaping touches on the SPY27 above, plus your use of natural wood.
my next mule will look more like this SPY27, just not sure which steel yet.
Thanks Bob. Glad I could be of assistance!
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:05 pm
Some of you folks run the handle material so close to the blade, it reminds me of a ruffle collar.

Not that there's anything wrong with a ruffle collar.
I intend to use my knife and will certainly be stabbing with it. The handle does not allow for a guard so I make a sure fire handle non forward slip feature.
mulefacesm.jpg
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Rumor has it, that's exactly how Queen Elizabeth used her ruffle collar, too: for neck safety. Mary Queen of Scotts wasn't wearing one the day she got beheaded, so...I think that makes the point.
Attachments
31DB064E00000578-3547576-image-m-120_1461078092828-1970005199.jpeg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

Latest scales in Wenge, finally got them on to a Mule. This wood is very hard to work with compared to Oak! Took way longer than expected to get the screw holes and pins to actually fit. My drilling is not precise enough yet -_- The screws are actually hiding a lot of nonsense below their surface in the mounting holes, but they at least fit snuggly with all three pins in place.

There is one weird gap on the back side. It's more pronounced looking here due to perspective, but otherwise, I got the fit very close considering I didn't sand it flush because I didn't want to sand the Mule itself.

Underside turned out pretty nicely! I've been buttering them up with spoon butter and beeswax. This wood is super-gorgeous, but super hard to work with!
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

My son is retiring in May as a Battalion Chief, he served both the local police department, and then the local fire department.

I made a boat knife for him, in honor of both, thin blue line and thin red line. Mule M398, wood is spalted tamarind, lines are g10, handle finish is burnished carnauba wax.
br4sm.jpg
br3sm.jpg
br2sm.jpg
br1sm.jpg
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

Awesome tribute for your own front-line hero..
Am sure he will cherish it - and its a great supersteel too..
... rule #9 ...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi TTFulltimer,

Please thank him for his service from Spyderco.

sal
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

sal wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:21 pm
Hi TTFulltimer,

Please thank him for his service from Spyderco.

sal
I will do that Sal. Thanks for the Mule so I could make that knife.
old4570

Post by old4570 »

My SPY27 Mule with a 60grit grind ( Still at factory edge angle ) on the wet stone grinder ( knife sharpener ) .
Yeah , only 1150 slices on the rope !
This is the best result to date for any knife I own , previously having a few knives get into the 700+ range .

Knife is a SPY27 Mule with 3D printed grips .. Very light weight , just need to do a sheath for it !
& Maybe a grip re print with some minor mods .
I made the purchase to experiment with edges ( sharpening ) , as I do chase edge retention . I have seen the results of dual grit sharpening ( Home Slice ) and hope to try that soon .
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear old4570:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
old4570

Post by old4570 »

Thank you , will do .
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

5th iteration of my Mule handle. Might not seem very different from the 4th but I know where the differences are ! We were talking about trying to fit different sizes of hand as well as possible, that's the purpose of this handle. Well, the extremely well thought out tang helps too :winking-tongue

I was so satisfied with it (I am rarely, if ever, complety satisfied with any of my work), I could wait to have good pictures to share it with y'all !

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:07 am
5th iteration of my Mule handle. Might not seem very different from the 4th but I know where the differences are ! We were talking about trying to fit different sizes of hand as well as possible, that's the purpose of this handle. Well, the extremely well thought out tang helps too :winking-tongue

I was so satisfied with it (I am rarely, if ever, complety satisfied with any of my work), I could wait to have good pictures to share it with y'all !

Nice bulge.

That's gorgeous, buddy. Well done :clapping-hands
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:07 am

That's incredible! Well done! Can I ask what kind of handle/scale material that is?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I don't mean to stare but, hubba hubba Robin :)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:51 am
Nice bulge.

That's gorgeous, buddy. Well done :clapping-hands
Thanks, the bulge is everything to me on that model ! That's the thing I try to perfect time after time. It's not a circular bulge, it has specific angles to accomodate for the palm or for the fingers, it's a specialized bulge :squinting-tongue
captnvegtble wrote: That's incredible! Well done! Can I ask what kind of handle/scale material that is?
Thanks ! And thanks again for asking, I totally forgot to detail everything lol.

Here it is :
Stabilized elder burl with green & purple dye
Brass corbys and mosaïc pin
Purple G10 liners.
legOFwhat? wrote:I don't mean to stare but, hubba hubba Robin :)
Makes me shiver! ty
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Specialized bulge. I need to add that to my dad bod description.
Pacu0420

Post by Pacu0420 »

:cheap-sunglasses
Attachments
IMG_20230425_141936507.jpg
Top 5 EDC Spydies: S45VN Para3, S90V DLT PM2, MagnaCut Native5, Crucarta PM2, Maxamet Manix2