Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
legOFwhat?

Re: Show your Mule

Post by legOFwhat? »

It's getting closer to winter project season! Mulling some layouts today and hopefully hearing news of MT28 shipping, it's gotta be soon, right?

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

There are some gorgeous scales in this thread. My mule is jealous.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 am
It's getting closer to winter project season! Mulling some layouts today and hopefully hearing news of MT28 shipping, it's gotta be soon, right?

We can only hope it’s soon.....

Know I mentioned in a thread somewhere that I had some GITD scales coming and you mentioned to show you when in.

Glow in the dark is a under statement

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Wow standy! Those are awesome! I've started a set of black burlap micarta with a thick g10 blue liner, but I've been too busy to finish them. Hopefully we'll get some good news on some SPY27 soon!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Just ordered some Ringed Gidgee for my next Mule

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 am
Just ordered some Ringed Gidgee for my next Mule

I confess that my knowledge of woods is near zero, but I know that I like that! I had to look up Ringed Gidgee :o

Maybe one day I'll graduate to doing some nice hardwoods like that. I'm eager to see the end result!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
NYLife

Post by NYLife »

tried paracord as a handle, and did camo at first but the handle did not have enough heft to it, so I decided to go over it with another color, feels great in hand now, but I kind of both like it and don't like it, not sure yet
Image2021-02-21 by Roman Kruglov, on Flickr
Be stronger than your excuses
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:26 pm
I confess that my knowledge of woods is near zero, but I know that I like that! I had to look up Ringed Gidgee :o

Maybe one day I'll graduate to doing some nice hardwoods like that. I'm eager to see the end result!
If you want some, I have an extra set of book matched Ringed Gidgee. PM me your address and I'll throw them in the mail for you. :)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:28 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:26 pm

If you want some, I have an extra set of book matched Ringed Gidgee. PM me your address and I'll throw them in the mail for you. :)
PM sent! :D
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
NYLife

Post by NYLife »

got my halpern scales, modded them a little bit :) but now my pm2 and mule look like brothers

ImageIMG_1684 by Roman Kruglov, on Flickr
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

:) That's a cool pair NYLife!

I think that might the first time I've seen someone match a Mule handle to one of their folders. Great idea! :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
NYLife

Post by NYLife »

Xplorer wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:18 am
:) That's a cool pair NYLife!

I think that might the first time I've seen someone match a Mule handle to one of their folders. Great idea! :)
Thank you, yeah I matched the handles and the lanyards :)
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

Not sure if anyone else has done this before but 3D printed scales for my MT!!!

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:07 am
I don't think I've seen a 3D printed handle before. It's pretty amazing to think you can print a knife handle!! I must admit I know almost nothing about 3D printing. Seeing it used for a knife handle has me suddenly interested in the technology :p .

Please forgive my ignorance. I'd love to know a little more about the material and the process if you wouldn't mind.

Did you print those exactly as I'm seeing them in the photo (size and finish)?
Is the material water and chemical resistant?
Is the material hard and dense or does it dent and scratch easily?
How long did that set take to print?

Thank you for sharing your work! :)
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

Xplorer wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:24 am
izzoyournizzo wrote:
I don't think I've seen a 3D printed handle before. It's pretty amazing to think you can print a knife handle!! I must admit I know almost nothing about 3D printing. Seeing it used for a knife handle has me suddenly interested in the technology :p .

Please forgive my ignorance. I'd love to know a little more about the material and the process if you wouldn't mind.

These are all excellent questions!
  • They were printed exactly as you see in the photo. The only modification was hand drilling out some plastic to fit the 1/4in Gulso bolts. Future prints will have the bolts fitted perfectly and no modification will be needed. I have 3D printing down but I'm still learning to 3D model.(two totally different realms). There is a site called Thingiverse that has tons of free models you can download and print.
  • The material used is called PLA+. It can warp due to water but I only use this material for prototypes. The final version will be printed in a nylon/carbon fiber material(NylonX).
  • As printed, it is hard but will dent easily. It was printed at an infill of 30%. Once I have finalized my design and use the aforementioned material, I'll print it at 100% infill and it will be hard as a rock.
  • With the 30% infill as is, it took around 3 hours to print both scales. At 100% infill it will take longer. But I also don't have the fastest printer on the market. I have an Ender 3 v2.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:19 pm
...They were printed exactly as you see in the photo. The only modification was hand drilling out some plastic to fit the 1/4in Gulso bolts. Future prints will have the bolts fitted perfectly and no modification will be needed. I have 3D printing down but I'm still learning to 3D model.(two totally different realms). There is a site called Thingiverse that has tons of free models you can download and print.[/list]
  • The material used is called PLA+. It can warp due to water but I only use this material for prototypes. The final version will be printed in a nylon/carbon fiber material(NylonX).
  • As printed, it is hard but will dent easily. It was printed at an infill of 30%. Once I have finalized my design and use the aforementioned material, I'll print it at 100% infill and it will be hard as a rock.
  • With the 30% infill as is, it took around 3 hours to print both scales. At 100% infill it will take longer. But I also don't have the fastest printer on the market. I have an Ender 3 v2.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. :)

This is an amazing tool! It sounds like the final version in NylonX at 100% infill will make a nice tough handle. That level of density should also lend itself to buffing, polishing and other types of finishing as well. I guess the time the printer takes doesn't concern me all that much...it's doing the work after all :cool: .

So, am I understanding the capabilities correctly to assume you could 3D model a pocket (a vertical walled recess) anywhere in the surface of the handle that would be ready to accept some sort of inlay as well?

Thanks again or sharing. I hope to see you post a NylonX version as well at some point. :)
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

Xplorer wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:03 pm
izzoyournizzo wrote:
...They were printed exactly as you see in the photo. The only modification was hand drilling out some plastic to fit the 1/4in Gulso bolts. Future prints will have the bolts fitted perfectly and no modification will be needed. I have 3D printing down but I'm still learning to 3D model.(two totally different realms). There is a site called Thingiverse that has tons of free models you can download and print.[/list]
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. :)

This is an amazing tool! It sounds like the final version in NylonX at 100% infill will make a nice tough handle. That level of density should also lend itself to buffing, polishing and other types of finishing as well. I guess the time the printer takes doesn't concern me all that much...it's doing the work after all :cool: .

So, am I understanding the capabilities correctly to assume you could 3D model a pocket (a vertical walled recess) anywhere in the surface of the handle that would be ready to accept some sort of inlay as well?

Thanks again or sharing. I hope to see you post a NylonX version as well at some point. :)
You are spot on. You could create pickets of a pattern or lettering and make really cool handles with an inlay and then epoxy the handles. Heck, if I were to epoxy a handle, I may even be able to get away with using something like PLA+ with an inlay and epoxy it all then sand it down.

Once I get my process down, I would love to take it a step further and create inlays.

Thanks for the ideas and the great questions/comments. I can't wait to show you more.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Xplorer wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:24 am
izzoyournizzo wrote:

These are all excellent questions!
  • They were printed exactly as you see in the photo. The only modification was hand drilling out some plastic to fit the 1/4in Gulso bolts. Future prints will have the bolts fitted perfectly and no modification will be needed. I have 3D printing down but I'm still learning to 3D model.(two totally different realms). There is a site called Thingiverse that has tons of free models you can download and print.
What is a ball park price on printing a set of scales.... material wise for NylonX in 100% ?
Colours would be endless or basic ?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:17 pm

Thanks for the ideas and the great questions/comments. I can't wait to show you more.
There's so many ideas this is bringing to mind. :D

I look forward to seeing what you do with it in the future. :)
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:54 pm

What is a ball park price on printing a set of scales.... material wise for NylonX in 100% ?
Colours would be endless or basic ?
NylonX only comes in black as it is infused with carbon fiber. There is NylonG which is infused with glass that comes in many colors. I've never used NylonG but supposedly a lot of cordless drills and aerospace parts are molded with NylonG, so it is meant to be strong. It's definitely on my list of materials to try.

According to my math, to print both scales at 100% infill with NylonX, the material would cost around $4.50 US. Thanks for asking the question, if forced me to figure out what the cost would be. Again, this would be the cost for my design in the picture above. Maybe a viable side gig if there is demand for it.

A regular off the shelf 3D printer would not be able to print NylonX.