Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Xplorer

Re: Show your Mule

Post by Xplorer »

Nice rack Andy :winking-tongue
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Gham wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:21 pm
Was able to finish up handels and sheath this week not complete happy with the detal in the kydex maby next one I'll go a little hotter withe the kydex! Handles are fabric base bakelite and belt loop is a peace of old well used convayor belt!
Nice work on the scales and the sheath.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gham

Post by Gham »

Thank you JRinFL! Hope to git my hand on some more mules in the near future!
LoPan12

Post by LoPan12 »

FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Carrying my MagnaCut on a hike today. Not much cutting but snagged a few nice pics.
20220218_151835.jpg
20220218_150249.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Toker

Post by Toker »

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to add it here. Halpern Micarta scales (Deep Blue Sea and OD Green). Added titanium screws that I heat colored.

Resq52

Post by Resq52 »

:respect excited to test this blade our. I just finished the scales last night. Brown micarta with orange g-10 liner.
IMG_20220303_224508_530.jpg
IMG_20220303_224508_546.jpg
IMG_20220303_224508_581.jpg
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Resq52 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:38 pm
... I just finished the scales last night. ...
Nice work Resq52! The handle looks great!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Great to see all these new Mule handles made by owners.

Good job Resq52
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

A pair of Magnacut Mules with burl ironwood scales... one was a gift for my teenage son, the other is a gift for me!
Magnacut Pair_1.jpg
Magnacut Pair_2.jpg
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

captnvegtble wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:39 am
A pair of Magnacut Mules with burl ironwood scales... one was a gift for my teenage son, the other is a gift for me!
Wow! Those are beautiful Capn'! I just recently ordered some presentation grade burl ironwood myself, hope they turn out half that good.
How do get that slant at the thumb area close to the blade? I've seen quite a few mules with that and would like to try it myself if it's okay to ask. :cheap-sunglasses
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
z1r

Post by z1r »

Nice!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:33 am
captnvegtble wrote:
Wow! Those are beautiful Capn'! I just recently ordered some presentation grade burl ironwood myself, hope they turn out half that good.
How do get that slant at the thumb area close to the blade? I've seen quite a few mules with that and would like to try it myself if it's okay to ask. :cheap-sunglasses
Thank you.

Are you asking about the thumb-index finger "pinch" area at the end of the scales?

I used a 1.5 inch diameter sanding drum attachment for my drill press (https://www.rockler.com/12-piece-long-d ... nt-sleeves). You have to sand that slant in before attaching the scales to the Mule, and then refine and smooth it out by lots of hand sanding after attaching and shaping the scales. I took the scales to a 1500 grit.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

captnvegtble wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:04 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:33 am
captnvegtble wrote:
Thank you.

Are you asking about the thumb-index finger "pinch" area at the end of the scales?

I used a 1.5 inch diameter sanding drum attachment for my drill press (https://www.rockler.com/12-piece-long-d ... nt-sleeves). You have to sand that slant in before attaching the scales to the Mule, and then refine and smooth it out by lots of hand sanding after attaching and shaping the scales. I took the scales to a 1500 grit.
Thank you for the tips! I'll give that a try.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Now that I have my belt grinder, I'll gain so much time ! I used to do wood handles for fixed blades only with rasps, knives, sandpaper and elbow grease. I've made an Amaranthe (Purple heart in english, IIRC) blank, to test my belt grinder and see where I'll put the Corby bolts.

It's a work in progress, the 45°is done, and then I entend to do the rest by handfor these "test scales". I had tried to follow the guard and blade ramp with the wood at first, but I wasn't pleased with where it was going.
I've finally found 10mm brass rivets, so it'll be used on the K390.

I'll certainly use the same 3/16" holes than captnvegtble for the Corbys on both Magnacut Mules, it looks better and require less material (thanks for the inspiration!).

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Looking good Robin.

A belt grinder will definitely speed up the process. What belt size does your grinder use?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Xplorer wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:10 am
Looking good Robin.

A belt grinder will definitely speed up the process. What belt size does your grinder use?
It's a small Sheppach, a German brand that does have an excellent Q/P ratio. The dimension are 25,4mm x 762mm, so 1" x something in inches ^^.
It's rather small, and it will limit some stuff but for handles it's quite nice. I've already started to do the first actual set of scales ^^ I'll try to upload a pic tomorrow.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

sal

Post by sal »

You guys do some great work and I'm pleased to say that's the "Spyderco Way".

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Here's a sneak peak at my first actual set of scales, it's stabilized but there's some gaps, the butt of the handle has two holes, I'm gonna try to epoxy it right after.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Epoxy is a good choice for filling that gap. In case you haven't tried it, I would also point out that C/A glue works well and will provide a clear and glossy surface when finished. It's best for small gaps and sometimes multiple coats are required. It's hard and can be polished but it's not very impact resistant so it's best for small cracks and crevices. The gap in the edge there might be a little large for CA glue but you can do it if you use tape to create walls to keep the glue from running out. CA glue is also handy because you can spray it with instant hardener and quickly move on to the next step.