How'd you wrap your mule handles with paracord? (pics welcome)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
aprivetera

Re: How'd you wrap your mule handles with paracord? (pics welcome)

Post by aprivetera »

I've settled on the lacing through the large holes for an anchor, then a quick wrap and just a knot at the end. Easy to do, doesn't take much time and simple to replace.

Thorne27

Post by Thorne27 »

Mine are similar to aprivetera's. I've tried a few others, but I lack the skill, patience, and attention to detail to pull them off. I also appreciate the simplicity of this wrap. All of the wraps I've tried, including this one, were based on tutorials on this, or other forums.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

My factory seconds came in today so I did Yablanowitz method and then tight wrapped over it... so not super happy with it but the girth is right and it's a good fit in hand. Had trouble trying to tighten everything down.
Attachments
Resized_20221204_003326.jpeg
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I don’t know if this is helpful to anyone but I do a lot of lashings and knots at work for building structures. If I’m putting one up that is going to be semi-permanent I use a short length of wood that I loop into the end of the cord and heave on to get each section really tight, then with tension still on the cord I pop a carpenter’s quick clamp on to pinch the cord against whatever I’m tying/lashing it to. It keeps the cord extremely tight and neat, giving you time to compose yourself and attend to the next section without having to maintain tension throughout the rest of your work.

I have an M398 mule sat at home waiting for me to get back from holiday. I’ll be going to town on it with some climbing tech cord I’ve put to one side and several cups of tea. Can’t wait!

Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:04 pm

Once you have the lines run through, it will keep the loops from slipping off the end, so you can tighten everything up. I generally use a pair of needle nose pliers (well, my ever-present Leatherman Wave) to pull all the slack out.

Then all you have to do is tie a tight knot to hold the ends. I use a diamond knot.

Pull the tape and your Mule is ready for duty.

Thoroughly enjoyed trying this out on my MT38! This post is the gift that keeps on giving 👍🏻 Used tech cord instead of paracord though and now my fingers are shredded 🤷🏼‍♂️ you live and learn.
Attachments
B7B78D86-42CD-499F-A2EF-F132B747BF58.jpeg
- Al

Dream knives -
Justintoxicated

Post by Justintoxicated »

Found some paracord I had laying around and decided to give this a shot.

Just spent a coupel hours trying to do this, took it apart a couple times. My last attempt was the best, and just realized I missed a turn somewhere in the middle.

I wan't to get better results...

I just realize I used utility cord rather than paracord. Maybe that is part of the problem I am having? Maybe I'll redo it later.
PXL_20230529_213140641~2.jpg
PXL_20230529_213155406~2.jpg
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

I spent some more time and rewrapped a few of my mules after less than stellar first attempts lol.

I used the Yablanowitz style which I really like and gives a good grip.
Attachments
Resized_20230530_133045.jpeg
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

7 snake knot lanyard and a simple handle wrap on the bare blade.
8 ft of cord on a mule in M398.
it started with a couple horizontal runs under the vertical wraps to bulk up the handle.
Tag ends are left loose so it can be unwrapped easily with no tools.

... rule #9 ...
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

I ran 2 cords down and up through the big holes to give the handle some width. Then I did a 2 cord simple western pattern. Once I got to the end I ran the cords through one of the bigger holes, tied them in a simple knot, and cut two of the ends off. I did this with the AEB-L mule and use it as an EDC.
Attachments
IMG_8040.jpeg
IMG_8040.jpeg (63.32 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
IMG_1880.jpeg
IMG_1880.jpeg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN & CRUWEAR, Native - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10
Temporarily put my mule away cause I got tired of my wife saying do you really need 5 knives on you. MULE - AEB-L (keep returning to this mule cause it’s awesome)
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I'm guessing, like anything else, there are better and worse grades/brands of paracord.

How is it graded, and who makes/where do you buy the good stuff?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Not the prettiest, but this old rope that’s been around saltwater for a while was available to use.
Another smaller rope for the lanyard.

This has gone through multiple changes as I’ve figured out how to work with this thicker rope.
I decided I liked the look, which to me has a sort of old maritime vibe. The fossil shark teeth are really just for fun.
You might be able to see that I have added a megalodon tooth as a sort of “menuki” and to tighten up the wrap. The smaller one on the lanyard does also help prevent it from loosening too much.

These last three are the latest version.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:32 am
I'm guessing, like anything else, there are better and worse grades/brands of paracord.

Not sure how it's graded aside from breaking strength and working load limit. Most commercial "paracord" has a working load limit of 80 to 100 pounds. Military specification parachute cord actually has a load limit of 550 pounds. It has seven strands of twisted cord inside the outer jacket, where most commercial brands are 5 or 6 strand.

If you want real mil-spec cord, parachute rigging supplies are your best bet. Of course, you may have to buy it in 10,000 foot rolls. And for this purpose, the cord may be too thick to get two stands through a small hole in the tang, and the extra strength is pretty much overkill for a wrap, unless you plan to unwrap and use it to make snares in a survival situation.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Here's an interesting cord wrap I saw somewhere (probably from the O.T. subforum) and snagged a copy. I wonder if it would work for a mule.
Attachments
cord wrap.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:55 pm
...I use a short length of wood that I loop into the end of the cord and heave on to get each section really tight, then with tension still on the cord I pop a carpenter’s quick clamp on to pinch the cord against whatever I’m tying/lashing it to. It keeps the cord extremely tight and neat, giving you time to compose yourself and attend to the next section without having to maintain tension throughout the rest of your work.

Clever. Looking forward to seeing a mule wrapped with this 'technology.'
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:46 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:55 pm
...I use a short length of wood that I loop into the end of the cord and heave on to get each section really tight, then with tension still on the cord I pop a carpenter’s quick clamp on to pinch the cord against whatever I’m tying/lashing it to. It keeps the cord extremely tight and neat, giving you time to compose yourself and attend to the next section without having to maintain tension throughout the rest of your work.

Clever. Looking forward to seeing a mule wrapped with this 'technology.'
The pic of the wrapped mule I put in my post above was done with this method. I use it for all knots when they need to be tight and neat, especially square lashings for structures.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:32 am

A bit of a delayed reply but if you want shorter lengths of high strength cordage your best bets (*in my experience*) are climbing shops and yacht supply stores. I buy my dyneema cordage for work by the foot from the latter, and KN shock load rated stuff from the former for rock climbing applications. Arborist’s suppliers might be worth a look too. Ultimately it depends on what characteristics you rate in the cord.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Oh and PS -

Dyneema cord can be a swine to knot (it tends to come undone so is often sold in pre-sewn loops) but is comically strong.
Tech cord is usually Kn rated and knottable, but its sheath is often highly abrasive.
Paracord is usually squishier and kinder to hands.

I hope that is in some way helpful 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Man what an incredible thread, there are some TALENTED forum members here…crazy good stuff 👏👏👏
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:48 am
The pic of the wrapped mule I put in my post above was done with this method. I use it for all knots when they need to be tight and neat, especially square lashings for structures.

Oh, the blue one! I'd missed that beneath the Yab photos. Yes, on examination, it appears a very tight wrap! Be careful you don't crush the steel beneath your cord wrap!

I'm not much of a cord wrapper, but I do stone the edges of the handles to knock the sharp corner down (undesirable of course if you are installing flush scales). I picked up that trick decades ago from a gunsmith friend who always carefully "defanged" his pistols. I'd imagine a cord wrap would last longer with slightly smoothed corner edges on the steel?
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:25 am
JoviAl wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:48 am

Oh, the blue one! I'd missed that beneath the Yab photos. Yes, on examination, it appears a very tight wrap! Be careful you don't crush the steel beneath your cord wrap!

I'm not much of a cord wrapper, but I do stone the edges of the handles to knock the sharp corner down (undesirable of course if you are installing flush scales). I picked up that trick decades ago from a gunsmith friend who always carefully "defanged" his pistols. I'd imagine a cord wrap would last longer with slightly smoothed corner edges on the steel?
That’s a smart move knocking down the edges. I haven’t ever had tech cord wear through just from use as a handle material, but I usually end up stripping it off within a few months to use as cord for one task or another. Longevity has never really been explored fully on that front by me (I know, that sentence is appalling grammar 😂🤦🏼‍♂️).
- Al

Dream knives -