Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
tcarltonw

Re: Show your Mule

Post by tcarltonw »

Word, appreciate it.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The Green Orange (that's its name now) is finished.
I did not have time to take good pictures already, but here's some badly lit shots :open-grin

And a small video :

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

@Ramonade That looks incredible! :hundred-points Nice work. What kind of burl is that?
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

tcarltonw wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:04 am
First mule team handle finished(over the weekend but haven't had time to post the pics). I had made a handle for a kit knife from wood craft so technically I can't claim that this is my first ever. I really liked the feel of the thin Halpern scales so I worked off of that profile, they finished around .18" thick. This was originally a .5" thick box elder burl scale that I ripped in half(more like one third and two thirds haha). This was definitely a learning process and have some ideas on how to address whoopsies on the next one(received some advice from standy and would have been completely lost without the handle making guide put together by xplorer). Two biggest things I ran into was get the profile uniform(originally wanted to have the scales slightly smaller to expose the spine all the way around and that turned into having ~ 1/8" + of the heel sticking out so I gave up on that) to the spine without grinding the steel and the other doing the chamfer by hand. Talking to standy he suggested to leave the scales on, take it all the way to the steel, and then just sand out the marks on the blade by hand(correct me if I'm wrong there). As far as the chamfer I wanted something subtle but functional. I sanded it in first before finish sanding the flats by wrapping sic sandpaper around a .25" x 1.5" piece of wood and around a fine tipped sharpie for curved pieces.(wish I would have taken more pictures). What ended up happening is I lost most of the chamfer through the finish sanding of the flats so I will be doing that last next time around. In the end I took the flats to 400 grit with sic sandpaper then finished with two coats of Axe Wax.
tcarltonw that dark cerakote with midnight burl handles might be the coolest Mule I've seen!
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

[/quote]
tcarltonw that dark cerakote with midnight burl handles might be the coolest Mule I've seen!
[/quote]

Appreciate that sir!
BearShark44

Post by BearShark44 »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:23 am
The Green Orange (that's its name now) is finished....
@Ramonade - incredible scales, thanks for posting. Do you use corbys .1875" pins w/ .25" heads in these 3 spots on the handle? I'm about to work on my first one and looking to get that same even pin distribution on the same line. How do you get the mosaic pin at .25" through - drill the hole larger or layer the mosaic pin on top of the recessed corby?
mule-corbys.jpg
:bug-white-red :camping MT39P-15V, MT33P-Rex76; Sage1-Maxamet, Endela-K390, Delica4-M390, PM2-K390, PM2-S30v, Dragonfly2-SB, AmbitiousSE-8Cr13MoV; others TBD
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

BearShark44 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:44 pm

@Ramonade - incredible scales, thanks for posting. Do you use corbys .1875" pins w/ .25" heads in these 3 spots on the handle? I'm about to work on my first one and looking to get that same even pin distribution on the same line. How do you get the mosaic pin at .25" through - drill the hole larger or layer the mosaic pin on top of the recessed corby?
Hi ! Depends on the steel. I always use only two corbys and a good slow cure epoxy, that's plenty enough. If the steel is not too hard I try to open the center 3/16 hole to 6mm (0.236") to use a mosaïc pin all through the scales and the tang. Otherwise, I simply cut two lengths of mosaïc pin and use it as a decoration. Corby bolts are really good fasteners, once there's epoxy everywhere in addition to that, it won't move anyway !
I just ordered some larger diameter carbide drill bits, to see how it goes :grin-smiling-eyes
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Here's a second AEB-L Mule
Still stabilized elder burl and all.
The only different thing is the color of the liners, and of the wood :open-grin

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:14 am
Here's a second AEB-L Mule...
Looks beautiful Robin! Great job!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Xplorer wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:04 am
Ramonade wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:14 am
Here's a second AEB-L Mule...
Looks beautiful Robin! Great job!
Thanks a lot Chad :grin-smiling-eyes I found my style. Still working on making them disassembly ready though. I have a prototype right now, but I want them to be super close to the tang without having issue if you swap them on another Mule (not easy at all :grin-sweat )

Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

tcarltonw wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:56 am
This one I did have done locally by Black Boar Rifles. I had a Rex 76 one done by a guy suggested off of blade forums. I like it so far, haven't been put past any general cutting tasks but if sharpening is any indication of its capabilities I see the edge holding for a while. I just posted this in the community sharpening post but I felt like it belonged in the mule forum as well. Hopefully that's kosher.

How does the Spyderco logo not get obliterated….like the blade steel markings…. when Cerakoting?

tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Erion929 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:35 am
tcarltonw wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:56 am
This one I did have done locally by Black Boar Rifles. I had a Rex 76 one done by a guy suggested off of blade forums. I like it so far, haven't been put past any general cutting tasks but if sharpening is any indication of its capabilities I see the edge holding for a while. I just posted this in the community sharpening post but I felt like it belonged in the mule forum as well. Hopefully that's kosher.

How does the Spyderco logo not get obliterated….like the blade steel markings…. when Cerakoting?

They are a 2nd cerakote spray as close as possible to the original
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

I believe the question was regarding how the Spyderco Bug logo on the blade was preserved in the cerakoting process.

I'll confess my ignorance on how the cerakoting process works, but I could see (as in painting) some sort of adhesive cut and shaped like that Bug logo would/could preserve it in the process.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:32 am
I believe the question was regarding how the Spyderco Bug logo on the blade was preserved in the cerakoting process.

I'll confess my ignorance on how the cerakoting process works, but I could see (as in painting) some sort of adhesive cut and shaped like that Bug logo would/could preserve it in the process.
It's not preserved... I believe a stencil is created and it's then cerakoted on top of the first layer of cerakote. Feel like I can't word good to explain it haha
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

tcarltonw wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:34 am
weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:32 am

It's not preserved... I believe a stencil is created and it's then cerakoted on top of the first layer of cerakote. Feel like I can't word good to explain it haha
Stencil was the word I was looking for! Makes more sense that what I was trying to say :grin-sweat.

Sublime looking Mule, by the way!!
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

Lately I’ve been strapped for time but really wanted to put my new 15v Mule to work. I decided to do a set of scales as fast as I could without compromising on quality. The result was this set of Purple Heart scales, done in 1 hour and 5 minutes. The tools used were a drill press, bandsaw, trim router, and belt sanders (2x72 and 4x48). This was actually my first time making a set of removable Mule scales but definitely not my first set of knife scales. Hope y’all like them!

Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

CasperFatone wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:20 pm
...The result was this set of Purple Heart scales...

Nice!! I like the taper seen in the spine shot, quite a lot. What's your strategy for keeping the purple, purple?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Ramonade wrote:

If Sophia Vergara were a knife, she'd look like this!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:43 pm
Ramonade wrote:

I'll admit it, I had to google that name. But I'm gonna take that as a compliment to my contouring :grin-smiling-eyes

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:03 am
Bolster wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:43 pm
Ramonade wrote:

I'll admit it, I had to google that name. But I'm gonna take that as a compliment to my contouring :grin-smiling-eyes

I guess I should have said Brigitte Bardot instead...