h2 mule team?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
huyfishin

h2 mule team?

Post by huyfishin »

what determines what steels are tested and used for a mule team knife? Will I see one in H2?
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Coastal

Re: h2 mule team?

Post by Coastal »

I asked the same thing a few months ago, and the consensus was that there would not be an H2 Mule Team. Bummer.

Personally, I'd love to have one. You never know...
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Would be cool
David R

Post by David R »

Mules tend to be steels that Spyderco hasn't used previously, or not used much. I would not expect to see a mule in a steel that has been used for a while by Spyderco.

Mules are a way for us try a different steel. Wild guess, but I suspect Mules are also a way for Spydero to get their grind and heat treatment figure out for a steel that is new to them.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

huyfishin wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:44 pm
what determines what steels are tested and used for a mule team knife? Will I see one in H2?
Sent you a message on Instagram :shush
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

David R wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:25 pm
Mules tend to be steels that Spyderco hasn't used previously, or not used much. I would not expect to see a mule in a steel that has been used for a while by Spyderco.

Mules are a way for us try a different steel. Wild guess, but I suspect Mules are also a way for Spydero to get their grind and heat treatment figure out for a steel that is new to them.
isn't h2 technically a new steel not currently used on any spyderco knife?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yes, but it is similar enough to H-1 that I would expect it to have similar issues when grinding. H-1 was always hollow ground for a reason, and Mules have all been flat-ground for uniformity. ZDP-189 was already in use when MT04 was released, but there wasn't an H-1 Mule due to issurs with flat-grinding it.
Last edited by yablanowitz on Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:57 am
Yes, but it is similar enough to H-1 that I would expect it to have similar issues when grinding. H-1 was always hollow ground for a reason, and Mules have all been flat-ground for uniformity. ZDP-188 was already in use when MT04 was released, but there wasn't an H-1 Mule due to issurs with flat-grinding it.
Ahhh i forgot how h1 is only hollow grind. Now I see why its not possible to do the h2 mule team
David R

Post by David R »

huyfishin wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:32 am
David R wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:25 pm

isn't h2 technically a new steel not currently used on any spyderco knife?
Yes. Excellent point. I was thinking it was very similar to H1, but it may not be.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

It is "a new steel", but the composition is 99.9% the same as H-1 (well, I'm sure at least a couple of percent of difference is needed for another name, but you catch my drift)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Thought H2 is just H1 made by a different maker (steel place in Japan) so couldn’t be called H1 and tweaked a touch not to infringe…
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

IIRC Sal said something to the effect that they will have H2 out in production models well before they would be able to get a mule done, so there won’t be an H2 mule.

Of course I can’t recall where I saw that, so I might be totally wrong.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:00 pm
IIRC Sal said something to the effect that they will have H2 out in production models well before they would be able to get a mule done, so there won’t be an H2 mule.

You mean this?
sal wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:55 am
I don't think we'll be making a Mule Team for H2. We have quite a few Mules in-the-works and by te time an H2 Mule would come to the market, we will already have thousands of H2 knives being used.

sal
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:26 pm
SchoonerBum wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:00 pm

You mean this?
sal wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:55 am
I don't think we'll be making a Mule Team for H2. We have quite a few Mules in-the-works and by te time an H2 Mule would come to the market, we will already have thousands of H2 knives being used.

sal
Yep, that’s what I was thinking of! Thanks!