ZDP 189 available on seconds sale

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
JRinFL

Re: ZDP 189 available on seconds sale

Post by JRinFL »

So "bad" heat treatment might actually be "heat treat did not meet agree upon specifications"? Seem like they might at the high harness levels some people want in Japanese style kitchen knives. Curious to see the results if someone actually uses one of these blades.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:59 pm
So "bad" heat treatment might actually be "heat treat did not meet agree upon specifications"? Seem like they might at the high harness levels some people want in Japanese style kitchen knives. Curious to see the results if someone actually uses one of these blades.
No. The Mules met the agreed upon specifications. It was the agreed upon hardness (which was the same as the hardness used on the Delica and Endura) which was called into question when several Mules were broken by ELUs.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:40 pm
JRinFL wrote:
No. The Mules met the agreed upon specifications. It was the agreed upon hardness (which was the same as the hardness used on the Delica and Endura) which was called into question when several Mules were broken by ELUs.
Thanks for clearing that up.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
David R

Post by David R »

redacted - already cleared up in another post
standy99

Post by standy99 »

JRinFL wrote:
I will be using one… kitchen duties with Spyderco handle for a start…(would annoy me putting a proper handle)

If someone wants to send me one for science :nerd I’m happy to test it a bit harder boning out a few legs of lambs and using it as a butchers knife….
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

As soon as they ship the order (I bet there was quite a lot of orders that monday) and it comes here, it'll get used.
I won't wait to make a beautiful burl handle for it like with all my other mules.

I'm too curious to wait !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:31 pm
tcarltonw wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:49 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:48 am
I have to pass on this, but it would make a great handle mule if its that hard. I've used a Pd#1 mule to get a handle started so I don't scratch up the mule that the handle is intended for. Problem is that Pd1 mule has had metal sanded away so much that the handle is under sized when reaching its intended target.

I've finally retired that mule from handle duty.
I'm glad you shared that. Have been doing some planning on paper for starting my first mule handle. I was running that scenario through my head and was worried that I'd come across one that had slightly different tolerances. That's no something you've come across?
If your pinning your handle and not using Corby bolts be mindful that if the pins are smaller than the holes in the handle steel there is a bit of movement when pinning. So I always mark the scales with a thick black sharpie and cut on the outside of the line. That way you have a good 1mm tolerance…Then you just sand the overhang off.
BUT make the front of the scales neat as you don’t want to be sanding there once glued up…

I epoxy on handles as live tropical and would always get slightly rusty tang when I removed scales after a few months.
I really appreciate any pointers. Made a practice run on a Woodxraft kit knife(regrinded into a shape that was desirable) so I could see what kind of stuff I would run into when fitting a handle. Good thing with a mule is I'm not pigeon holed to a single fitting option. Thanks again for the info.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I need to find one on eBay
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:17 am
Since seconds sale is not something I ever had access to, I was very pleasantly surprised to see it opened online for the world !
Wow! I never knew and have always ignored it figuring it meant a long drive from Arizona to Colorado followed by a lot of standing in line in extreme cold weather (anything below 65F is extreme cold to us Arizona folks).

Anyway, now I know and if another seconds sale rolls around I will be on the alert, or as much on the alert as I ever am.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’m excited to receive mine tomorrow. My first Spyderco was a ZDP Stretch which was lost some 10-ish years ago, and it’ll be good to have some again. Already got my halpern scales in!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Looking forward to mine, I missed out the first time around and love ZDP-189 so I'm stoked to have a couple to play with.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:32 pm
I’m excited to receive mine tomorrow. My first Spyderco was a ZDP Stretch which was lost some 10-ish years ago, and it’ll be good to have some again. Already got my halpern scales in!
Make sure to tell us how it feels cutting and everything !
Mine should arrive in january i guess, i wont hope for it to come before christmas lol
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:14 am
kennethsime wrote:
Mine should arrive in january i guess, i wont hope for it to come before christmas lol
I have it sitting in my kitchen knife drawer right now, and I hope to be able to test it out in the kitchen. This was my excuse for buying it - $50 for a ZDP-189 kitchen knife if a steal!

I usually like a bigger 8-10" Chef's knife, but I'll try to use this for the next week or so and report back. Something tells me it'll cut just fine.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
z1r

Post by z1r »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:57 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:14 am
kennethsime wrote:
I have it sitting in my kitchen knife drawer right now, and I hope to be able to test it out in the kitchen. This was my excuse for buying it - $50 for a ZDP-189 kitchen knife if a steal!

I usually like a bigger 8-10" Chef's knife, but I'll try to use this for the next week or so and report back. Something tells me it'll cut just fine.
I keep telling myself the opposite, so I don't feel bad for not having added one to my cart. :winking-tongue

I suspect it will be a heck of a vegetable slicer!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:57 pm

Really any Mule for the $$s we pay is a steal :shush
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Pretty light duty this morning, but I was I pressed with the factory edge when cutting up a fresh croissant from the local French patisserie.

Fresh Croissants are light and delicate, and your knife needs to cut with very little pressure to ensure you don’t just crush it.

I’d say the edge is pretty good!

JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Mine did just just fine going through some back strap tonight
Attachments
Resized_20221209_184629.jpeg
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:28 pm
Pretty light duty this morning, but I was I pressed with the factory edge when cutting up a fresh croissant from the local French patisserie.

Fresh Croissants are light and delicate, and your knife needs to cut with very little pressure to ensure you don’t just crush it.

I’d say the edge is pretty good!
Being French, I can attest that you need a real edge ^^ Even if my croissants don't really have the same "interior" as these ! I shall buy some to recreate the same experience once I get my mule :squinting-tongue

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The mule did just fine on some lemon + avocado for toast yesterday. I used my bread knife to cut the batard, because the mule wasn’t big enough.

What I remember from my ZDP-189 Stretch is that the steel does a great job of holding a very fine edge for a very long time. I’d like to put a finer edge on this knife, but I think I’ll wait until the factory edge is a little less than perfect.

tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Guess who didn't know Seconds had a nick taken out of the spine... and then proceeded to email Kristi a bunch??