3d printed scales with patterns/textures

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
User avatar
attila
Member
Posts: 1571
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Maryland

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby attila » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:19 pm

I finally got my printer set up after months of ownership. I guess I’ll be printing scales soon as well. :)

My B70P helped open the fastener baggies:
E7110DB5-79A3-421B-B8E7-788946486EA4.jpeg
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
.

User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Bolster » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:17 pm

Josh, GTScotty, if you are monitoring this thread, please see:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91100&start=420#p1586415
Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. "A good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the uncertain vagaries of life." -- Corb Lund

User avatar
Josh Crutchley
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:44 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Josh Crutchley » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:57 pm

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:17 pm
Josh, GTScotty, if you are monitoring this thread, please see:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91100&start=420#p1586415
What exactly do you want to do? It sounds like you want a sock with the bug logo kinda like a badge to say your a member. Is that right?

User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Bolster » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:04 pm

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:57 pm
Bolster wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:17 pm
Josh, GTScotty, if you are monitoring this thread, please see:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91100&start=420#p1586415
What exactly do you want to do? It sounds like you want a sock with the bug logo kinda like a badge to say your a member. Is that right?

Yes, something along those lines, but as for a precise vision of what would be well received..., none of us really know at this point. We're still sorting out graphics in the MNOSD thread. But if you are interested, join in the fun. You have good design sense and your input would be appreciated. There's nothing urgent about this. I think the guys are going to be ordering Tees and possibly socks first...But if you were to post an idea, I'll bet you'd get a lot of interest...
Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. "A good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the uncertain vagaries of life." -- Corb Lund

Araignee
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Araignee » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:36 pm

A bit off topic but I was wondering it someone had also 3D printed sheaths :thinking

I'm guessing printing a sheath in a single part is difficult, as this would require printing from bottom to top on the Z axis.


Nevermind, there's actually a thread just for that : viewtopic.php?f=15&t=91438

User avatar
FullScaler
Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:42 am
Contact:

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby FullScaler » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:50 pm

A new design from Josh that I printed last night! Perfect timing for this new one since I just got a big order of mounting hardware from USA knifemaker in. Even though I am a Canuck, I am really liking this one.
20220111_194106.jpg
20220111_194123.jpg
20220111_194149.jpg

I am going to run an experiment tonight with white resin, and drip blue dye at the stars end and drip red dye at the stripes end and see if I can come up with a red white and blue version.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com

User avatar
Josh Crutchley
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:44 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Josh Crutchley » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:46 pm

FullScaler wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:50 pm
A new design from Josh that I printed last night! Perfect timing for this new one since I just got a big order of mounting hardware from USA knifemaker in. Even though I am a Canuck, I am really liking this one.
I am going to run an experiment tonight with white resin, and drip blue dye at the stars end and drip red dye at the stripes end and see if I can come up with a red white and blue version.
Looks good! I was just messing around trying to make a 4th of July scale. I started on one with an eagle but never got it done. I probably have more unfinished scales than finished. I'll have to make you one with a Maple leaf.

User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Bolster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:58 pm

FullScaler wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:50 pm
A new design from Josh that I printed last night! Perfect timing for this new one since I just got a big order of mounting hardware from USA knifemaker in. Even though I am a Canuck, I am really liking this one.

Uber-cool, FullScaler and Josh!
Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. "A good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the uncertain vagaries of life." -- Corb Lund

User avatar
Ramonade
Member
Posts: 1553
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:45 pm
Location: France

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Ramonade » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:36 am

My brother came back in my region, I sent him some thingiverse stuff. A scale design from Josh and a 34° inclusive adapter for the Sharpmaker. I'll have some fun with that :winking-tongue .

Now, I'm just gonna have to translate imperial system hardware to metric hardware, in order to find a french or EU dealer :squinting-tongue
:respect Owned :respect : S35VN, S45VN, S30V, S90V, S110V, Rex45, M4, SPY27, MagnaCut, 20CV, M390, K390, ZDP-189, Maxamet, CTS-BD1N, CTS-XHP, SRS13, CPM154, 154CM, LC200N, VG-10, D2, 12C27(+mod), 14C28N, 420HC, Nitrox, Victorinox's steel, 440C(and others), 8cr...., the end ?

Robin
. MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds

Araignee
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Araignee » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:36 am

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:36 am
My brother came back in my region, I sent him some thingiverse stuff. A scale design from Josh and a 34° inclusive adapter for the Sharpmaker. I'll have some fun with that :winking-tongue .

Now, I'm just gonna have to translate imperial system hardware to metric hardware, in order to find a french or EU dealer :squinting-tongue
Wesh Ramonade, please let me know if you find some screws/fasteners which sit flush with the scales. I tried having a look at Amazon, Casto, etc. but being a brêle in bricolage I had no idea what to look for which could secure the scales on the mule :spiral-eyes

Also thanks for mentioning the Sharpmaker, I just had a look on Thingiverse and there's indeed some cool stuff available for printing 👌

User avatar
Ramonade
Member
Posts: 1553
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:45 pm
Location: France

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Ramonade » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:52 am

Araignee wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:36 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:36 am
My brother came back in my region, I sent him some thingiverse stuff. A scale design from Josh and a 34° inclusive adapter for the Sharpmaker. I'll have some fun with that :winking-tongue .

Now, I'm just gonna have to translate imperial system hardware to metric hardware, in order to find a french or EU dealer :squinting-tongue
Wesh Ramonade, please let me know if you find some screws/fasteners which sit flush with the scales. I tried having a look at Amazon, Casto, etc. but being a brêle in bricolage I had no idea what to look for which could secure the scales on the mule :spiral-eyes

Also thanks for mentioning the Sharpmaker, I just had a look on Thingiverse and there's indeed some cool stuff available for printing 👌
I used to buy on Eurotechni (M390 sheets and whatnot), they also have some fasteners. But someone on the Spyderco Club France facebook group suggested me to check the "Mercorne" website. Between these two I'll certainly find what's needed sooner than later ^^.

I'm not that good either but luckily we can always learn ! My love for knives is what pushed me to buy most of the tools I own today.

As for fasteners again : Amazon france should obviously have what we need. I think we can even just put the USA dimensions in the search bar and find something
:respect Owned :respect : S35VN, S45VN, S30V, S90V, S110V, Rex45, M4, SPY27, MagnaCut, 20CV, M390, K390, ZDP-189, Maxamet, CTS-BD1N, CTS-XHP, SRS13, CPM154, 154CM, LC200N, VG-10, D2, 12C27(+mod), 14C28N, 420HC, Nitrox, Victorinox's steel, 440C(and others), 8cr...., the end ?

Robin
. MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds

Araignee
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Araignee » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:52 am
I used to buy on Eurotechni (M390 sheets and whatnot), they also have some fasteners. But someone on the Spyderco Club France facebook group suggested me to check the "Mercorne" website. Between these two I'll certainly find what's needed sooner than later ^^.

I'm not that good either but luckily we can always learn ! My love for knives is what pushed me to buy most of the tools I own today.

As for fasteners again : Amazon france should obviously have what we need. I think we can even just put the USA dimensions in the search bar and find something
Thanks for the references, those could certainly be useful for sourcing the devices. Perhaps Mercorne could even advise as to which fasteners to buy if we provide them with the Mules and scales measurements.

I was also thinking that non-US users here must have been equipping their Mules for a long time... surely they should know what and where to buy to fasten their scales ?

User avatar
Josh Crutchley
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:44 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Josh Crutchley » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:03 pm

Araignee wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Thanks for the references, those could certainly be useful for sourcing the devices. Perhaps Mercorne could even advise as to which fasteners to buy if we provide them with the Mules and scales measurements.

I was also thinking that non-US users here must have been equipping their Mules for a long time... surely they should know what and where to buy to fasten their scales ?
This is what Bolster used for his.
Bolster wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:51 pm


If interested in ordering hardware, mine from USAKnifeMaker:
3/16 x .312 barrel connectors: FKP LT Connector 8510 (need 3, $1.67 each)
4-40 x 1/4 button head screws: Button Head Screw #4-40 x 1/4” (pack of 20, $2.79).

Araignee
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Araignee » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:17 am

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:03 pm
This is what Bolster used for his.
Bolster wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:51 pm


If interested in ordering hardware, mine from USAKnifeMaker:
3/16 x .312 barrel connectors: FKP LT Connector 8510 (need 3, $1.67 each)
4-40 x 1/4 button head screws: Button Head Screw #4-40 x 1/4” (pack of 20, $2.79).
Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reference. I came across a few such feedbacks whilst browsing various Mule threads, unfortunately they don't use SI units and I don't know if these bolts and screws standards can be found outside of the USA :thinking

User avatar
Josh Crutchley
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:44 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Josh Crutchley » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:21 am

Araignee wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:17 am

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reference. I came across a few such feedbacks whilst browsing various Mule threads, unfortunately they don't use SI units and I don't know if these bolts and screws standards can be found outside of the USA :thinking
You need (3) 4.7625mm od threaded spacer/standoffs. The scales in this thread have around 5.2mm deep mounting holes and the blade stock is 3mm. That would put max length possible at 13mm but I would go with something in the range of 6-10mm. The screws (6) of course will need to be the same thread as your spacer/standoff but the head will need to be ~5.5mm to fit the counterbore. That's probably the hardest part, finding a screw that fits those specs and still looks good.

Araignee
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Araignee » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:16 am

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:21 am
You need (3) 4.7625mm od threaded spacer/standoffs. The scales in this thread have around 5.2mm deep mounting holes and the blade stock is 3mm. That would put max length possible at 13mm but I would go with something in the range of 6-10mm. The screws (6) of course will need to be the same thread as your spacer/standoff but the head will need to be ~5.5mm to fit the counterbore. That's probably the hardest part, finding a screw that fits those specs and still looks good.
Thanks for providing these measurements Josh, this should help Ramonade and me find the correct hardware which won't poke out the handles :hugging-face

At the very least we'll be able to ask retailers if they have a combo on offer within these specs.

By the way, do you know the threaded spacer's width ? I think up to now we've only discussed length, but there could be a risk of the spacers not even fitting withing the blade stock if they're too fat.

User avatar
Josh Crutchley
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:44 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Josh Crutchley » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:08 pm

Araignee wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:16 am
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:21 am
You need (3) 4.7625mm od threaded spacer/standoffs. The scales in this thread have around 5.2mm deep mounting holes and the blade stock is 3mm. That would put max length possible at 13mm but I would go with something in the range of 6-10mm. The screws (6) of course will need to be the same thread as your spacer/standoff but the head will need to be ~5.5mm to fit the counterbore. That's probably the hardest part, finding a screw that fits those specs and still looks good.
Thanks for providing these measurements Josh, this should help Ramonade and me find the correct hardware which won't poke out the handles :hugging-face

At the very least we'll be able to ask retailers if they have a combo on offer within these specs.

By the way, do you know the threaded spacer's width ? I think up to now we've only discussed length, but there could be a risk of the spacers not even fitting withing the blade stock if they're too fat.
I already gave both dimensions, it's 4.7625mm.

Araignee
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Araignee » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:11 pm

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:08 pm
I already gave both dimensions, it's 4.7625mm.
Ok I got confused, thanks for clearing it up and also for your patience :grin-sweat

User avatar
Fireman
Member
Posts: 1579
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:18 am

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Fireman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:17 pm

Is it possible to print a handle that is one piece so that the printer will print connecting the two sides through the hole? Is that better a a glue job so that one side has posts through the holes that go flush to the other side or just below the surface?
Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008
Image Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13

Araignee
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Postby Araignee » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:55 am

Fireman wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:17 pm
Is it possible to print a handle that is one piece so that the printer will print connecting the two sides through the hole? Is that better a a glue job so that one side has posts through the holes that go flush to the other side or just below the surface?
If one side had integrated threaded spacers, that'd be pretty convenient indeed. But it remains to be seen (1) how hard it is to print the inner threads and (2) if these plastic thread would be strong enough to bear everyday usage.

And, by the way, if we could 3D print screws as well, we'd have a complete setup and wouldn't have to worry about finding separate hardware :smiling-heart-eyes

But I checked on Thingiverse and didn't come across any small screws/bolts. I guess the resolution of common printers isn't low enough... or perhaps it is, but material strength becomes a challenge :thinking


Return to “Mule Team Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests