MT35P - CPM MagnaCut Mule Team - Release Date

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
JRinFL

Re: MT35P - CPM MagnaCut Mule Team - Release Date

Post by JRinFL »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:29 pm
I completely forgot.
Heh, I almost forgot. I was 40 minutes late to the game, just enough to avoid peak frustration.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cjk

Post by cjk »

I'm wondering if the Boltaron Mule sheath will come back in stock at some point in the near future?

I suppose I could have ordered one in advance, but I didn't want a sheath if I wasn't certain I would be able to get a knife.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

mk2rocco wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:00 pm
I had no idea how difficult it is to get a Mule. Was this release a particularly popular one? Took me one hour to finally make it to check out.
HUGELY popular! MagnaCut just came out this year and is the latest and greatest steel that everyone is claiming to be "a revolution to knifemaking" (a youtube title I saw). Sal has said favorable things about it and there has been a lot of hype around it for a while.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Well once everything settled down I'm glad I got this new Mule. I thought it was already an impossible mission, after losing the last three. I don't know what Spyderco did, but it was lucky this time. Thanks Sal, it seems that I'm only complaining🤷🏼‍♂️
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
attila

Post by attila »

mk2rocco wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:00 pm
I had no idea how difficult it is to get a Mule. Was this release a particularly popular one? Took me one hour to finally make it to check out.
Some Mules used to sit around for years! The program’s retirement announcement 1-2 years ago seems to have sparked its tremendous popularity.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:45 am
A faster server would mean they would've just sold out faster and then people would be mad about that and it would be "why can't you just make enough for demand". This is just how it works with limited production and high demand. I see almost word for word the same comments every time a Dixxon flannel drops.
Actually, it's not just a server issue. It's partly a problem with their website ordering process (which appears to be in need for some process quality improvement)... for example, I had to click through (I think) 4-5 different pages before an order could be placed. That process could be slimmed down to 1-2 pages which would help prevent the website from being bogged down.
PBWilson

Post by PBWilson »

I was busy when the Mule dropped and figured that I'd missed it. When I got back to my computer I thought I'd give it a try. It worked and I have one coming. I feel very lucky. Sorry for those who experienced so much frustration.

I believe that a bunch of folks on the forum aren't huge fans of the Mule design (as some have mentioned in other threads) but love new steels. To make todays disappointment feel a bit less painful, I'd bet that Spyderco and a HEAP of other companies are going to jump on MagnaCut and fill their scales and liners with this tough, stainless steel. You'll get the model you want in what many feel is the best compromise steel yet created. Hang in there.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:46 pm
This forum doesn't have "likes" or a similar feedback mechanism and not everyone wants to reply with :rofl or a LOL response. I like funny posts, but i'm in the crowd that won't always reply.

I've read enough of your posts to know you have quite the sense of humor. So I generally read your posts with the idea they may be entertaining, droll, or just downright funny. You really had me going with your sig line, still makes me chuckle. You are definitely one of the wits of the forum.

OTOH, there are plenty of people here who are just about completely humorless. Not a criticism, just an observation. I do think (from time on BF and here) that knife people take themselves a little more seriously than most. It must be the SD component, the "there's nothing funny about a knife wound" mentality, seeping over (no pun intended) into the general discussion.

Although to your point, it would be interesting to see if time on the forum were a bit more lighthearted if "ha ha" reactions were allowed via feedback, as on many other fora.

Sorry for the OT, I'll stop. I would not want to take up electronic space from those who need to complain about the MagnaCut sale.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

I've got my 2 on the way. I must say that it was a terrible user experience and completely frustrating for over an hour before it went through.

That said, I am also very glad and appreciative of Sal and all the gang at Spyderco to give us the opportunity to get our hands on this new steel so we can do some testing.

Hopefully, the web tech and server spike problems can be worked out in time to provide a smoother check out process in the future.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on these blades, getting some scales on them, and seeing what all the hype is about.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Now, it's a game of waiting for me !

Never had to pay additionnal taxes or anything when ordering from the USA (did it only 4-5 times). I don't even know what the process will be if this happens.

But eh 45$ shipping from usps puts it in the priority mail if i'm not mistaken, that's how I received the 4-5 last orders from your continent ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:48 pm
Yep, believe it or not there are people who collect flannels and this same madness happens with them all the time.
I love flannels. So now, I'm looking into these. Already bought one (on sale).

Thanks a lot :P
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

defenestrate wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:25 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:48 pm
Yep, believe it or not there are people who collect flannels and this same madness happens with them all the time.
I love flannels. So now, I'm looking into these. Already bought one (on sale).

Thanks a lot :P

I like the Dixxons a lot. Some of the patterns are not for me but I spend more on flannels than I do knives lately 🤦‍♂️
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Big_Tex wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:05 pm
I was able to get two along with two sets of scales.
I’m excited to put the Magnacut through its paces… will be beating on it for sure!
I skipped mule accessories this time as I've found that they often sell out on big mule sales and I'd most likely not have gotten mine if I had. Congrats, though. The scales are very nice, I have a set of them, a leather sheath, a couple of synthetic sheaths and a light affordable matching sheath/scale set off of ebay that I enjoy. Hoping to make some of my own but for now, there are some nice options out there. I don't 6think I'll be able to find my old MT5s so finally having landing a stainless order is nice for general use.
rashman

Post by rashman »

cjk wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:51 pm
I'm wondering if the Boltaron Mule sheath will come back in stock at some point in the near future?

I suppose I could have ordered one in advance, but I didn't want a sheath if I wasn't certain I would be able to get a knife.
same boat - last mule team drop I got to the cart w/ blades, scales & sheath - went to payment page, blades sold out & only accessories left - lol
didn’t even try for accessories this round!
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

On a positive note, I'd like to again thank all those who encouraged not to give up. I was certain I would but once I saw positive posts of confirmed orders, I hoped and prayed mine would go through too. I was thinking about closing the forums tab on my Chrome thinking it might speed up things, but now I'm glad I kept this one open. I would definitely have given up without the positive feedbacks during the later part of the drop.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

Echoing similar sentiments here. Website was nonfunctional for me for a whole hour once the sale went live. Luckily I had an extended lunch break and stayed patient an was able to get my order through just past the hour mark. This was my first experience trying to navigate one of these sales and it probably could have been executed better from an IT standpoint as other have pointed out.

An off the cuff suggestion is to maybe limit the purchase limit to one piece and do it in multiple drops over successive hours/days to spread out the load. If demand isn’t there then raise the purchase limit after drops complete. Someone let me know if this is a dumb idea.
MightyQ

Post by MightyQ »

Woah that was a wild morning, I live in Hawaii so had to get up much earlier than usual to snag my first Spyderco knife and first mule! I had been anticipating this morning for some time now after reading previous experiences from other threads. Did not expect it to be what it was but had a similar experience of over hour waitime but order went through! 2 are on the way and I’m very excited! I will post a comparison of it with benchmade hidden canyon hunter in s90v. Very curious if Magnacut will live up to the hype I’ve been seeing.
Mahalo!
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

FullScaler wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:05 pm
I've got my 2 on the way. I must say that it was a terrible user experience and completely frustrating for over an hour before it went through.

That said, I am also very glad and appreciative of Sal and all the gang at Spyderco to give us the opportunity to get our hands on this new steel so we can do some testing.
I know people struggled for an hour or so, but I got a pair after a very brief 15 minutes of refreshing. For me, that was entirely expected. Condolences to people who tried and couldn't get ahold of one.

More to the point - Agree with the appreciation of Sal and Spyderco for getting these out to the masses. I'll repeat - thank you very much for making so many of these at such a reasonable price. It may have been frustrating for many, but there's at least a thousand people out there excited to receive the hottest new steel in the industry. You could have hoarded your Magnacut supply and funneled them into higher margin products, but in my opinion you gave a gift to the community. Thank you.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Rp5 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:47 pm
More to the point - Agree with the appreciation of Sal and Spyderco for getting these out to the masses. I'll repeat - thank you very much for making so many of these at such a reasonable price. It may have been frustrating for many, but there's at least a thousand people out there excited to receive the hottest new steel in the industry. You could have hoarded your Magnacut supply and funneled them into higher margin products, but in my opinion you gave a gift to the community. Thank you.

Well said. May I second that notion!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Me too👍
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo