When will the new mule teams be released?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Kloeshuman

When will the new mule teams be released?

Post by Kloeshuman »

Do we just need to keep checking the forum for a release date?
standy99

Re: When will the new mule teams be released?

Post by standy99 »

Yes

Probably a few months away as the last one was released not that long ago.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Kloeshuman wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:33 am
And you may download the Spyderco app, I'm sure there'll be notifications on the Mule Team release :)
Kloeshuman

Post by Kloeshuman »

Looks like I missed the release of the 29☹️
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

AlexRus wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:26 am
Kloeshuman wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:33 am
And you may download the Spyderco app, I'm sure there'll be notifications on the Mule Team release :)
Never seen a notification for a mule team on the app, but that would be cool. I just check the forum once a week at least.
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

I definitely can't wait to see what other new steels they bring out in mules. Can't wait for the kitchen mule either if that's actually a thing.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kloeshuman,

We try to run one very quarter, but that's sometimes messed up due to unexpected glitches. We have quite a few in-the-works so hopefully, we'll have some done and ready when it's time.

Also, with the new Mule Team sub-forum, we're getting a lot more interest this time around. Since the Mule Team Project is only consumer direct, this forum is probably the best place to watch. Kristi will usually announce what and when some time before the release. With the larger quantities, the scramble to get one shouldn't be so stressful.

sal
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

sal wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:26 pm
Hi Kloeshuman,

We try to run one very quarter, but that's sometimes messed up due to unexpected glitches. We have quite a few in-the-works so hopefully, we'll have some done and ready when it's time.

Also, with the new Mule Team sub-forum, we're getting a lot more interest this time around. Since the Mule Team Project is only consumer direct, this forum is probably the best place to watch. Kristi will usually announce what and when some time before the release. With the larger quantities, the scramble to get one shouldn't be so stressful.

sal
Sal,

Any hints on the steels that you have in the works? I know I am excited for the possibility of MagnaCut.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

sal wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:26 pm
Hi Kloeshuman,

sal
Thanks Sal!
Waiting for the next Mule :)
PBWilson

Post by PBWilson »

Thanks Sal. For the update, not scrapping or shelving the Mule Team and for offering more blanks for those who want them. It's a great feeling when a company responds to feedback. I'm hopeful that the upcoming Mule Team selections give you insight into how these steels perform and where to go next with them. It's evident that you are pushing the market to use these newer materials and it benefits all of us.

I'm curious about how much of the steel market is used by knifemakers. Many of these steels seem to be used in industrial cutting machines and it takes a while to break out into the knife world. Is it the knifemakers or the steel companies that suggest a particular steel to be used in knives?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi William,

We've got some interesting chemistry's in-the-works. I'd rather not say too much too soon, but I think those interested in trying the steels will enjoy them.

Hey PB,

The knife industry, while growing is still a very small part of the steel industry. Blade steels have a particular need in that they have the requirement to be able to create an "edge", which I've been calling a "Ghost" for good reason. The particular properties needed to create an edge are different from all other functions. Most knife-makers will use steels they find, but most have been created for some other function and just happen to work for blades. Ball Bearing steels will often work well as blade steels because they have to withstand force at a single point. Some steels like S90V were developed for coal chutes. Very few steels were developed with the intention to be used as blade steels.

We are now lucky to have experts, Like Larrin that have the knowledge and the interest to create blade steels. S30V, S35V, S45V, SPY27 and Magnacut are a few steels developed for blade function.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Mule Teams seem to cranking out frequently and often now. We may even see Z-Wear this month based on the schedule below:

1. Mule Team CPM-SPY27 MT28P (USA) - FEB 2021
  2. Mule Team CPM-S45VN MT31P (USA) - APR 2021
  3. Mule Team Z-Max PM MT29P (USA) - JUN 2021
  4. Mule Team Z-Wear PM MT30P (USA)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'd love to see more fairly soon. I think there will be a delay coming up soon because these things are on production timetables but if they get cranked out a little bit earlier, this is a great time to sell them. If enough come out quickly enough (or if/when a "regular" mule in a common steel becomes usually available) most people with real interest will be able to get one while flippers get frustrated. Not sure how strong the demand is, but as I'm in a position to probably buy any of them rather than just the couple of 20 dollar ones I bought in 2009, I plan to be on board with most of them if possible.
PBWilson

Post by PBWilson »

Looks like you guys got your wish! Check Kristi's post at the top of the forum page.