Please Review Kitchen Mule Plans

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Re: Please Review Kitchen Mule Plans

Post by Bolster »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:59 pm
[*]If you really wanted to duplicate the Heron, you could extend the scales above the tang as well. After all, you don't usually see a Chef's knife with a thumb ramp. This would require a bit more routing.

Yes, I understand and agree with the comment. It's true I could move the scales "up" so the handle is level with the top of the blade. That would also add knuckle-room when using a cutting board.

But it comes with a different issue: it would require moving the scales "forward" (toward the blade) so there's no scales-to-thumb-ramp gap, and that would give me a handle that is "encroaching on the blade," which is something I don't much like (Zoomer style? LOL). Also I'm concerned about how skinny the tang is getting inside the handle.

Kenneth makes a good point, though; worthy of a sketch. LMK what you folks think of the "handle up" vs the "handle mid" position. I'm not too keen on the look of the "handle up," it looks more like a home-built workaround to me, but I'm mulling it over. I think the mid-handle works with the original design a little better, but I'm curious what you all think.
Attachments
HandleUpForward.png
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Personally? I like the handle up, but no surprises there. :rolleyes: Reminds me of a Japanese Deba, actually - very cool. :cool:

Your cutting edge is the same either way, right? And if you're pinching the knife like so, the slightly closer handle may actually be more comfortable - gets your forefinger and thumb past the plunge line.

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like the look of the 'handle mid' better, but I think the 'handle up' is likely to be more ergonomic in the kitchen, where most of the force is pushing down into a cutting board. The mid handle looks like it would be better for more outdoors or general purpose tasks (where it would be easier to focus force on the point for piercing cuts).