What to expect from S45VN?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Bolster » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:19 pm

I don't own any S45VN. What can we expect from it? It's an incremental 'upgrade' in terms of corrosion resistance from S30V and S35VN, yes? Theoretically an increase in toughness due to fewer large chromium carbides forming--but modest toughness anyway (around 7 ft lbs)? A scootch more toughness than S30V and a scootch less tough than S35VN? Edge retention a bit less than S30V but a bit more than S35VN?

Sounds like Crucible was primarily targeting corrosion resistance...or maybe just wanted a new number, to get away from S30V. (I've had no problem with corrosion on my S30V or S35VN, so...I guess that's nice but haven't seen the need.) Sounds like it would make a great kitchen knife.

How do you think it'll compare to SPY27? Elmax? Larrinite? Etc?

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Deadboxhero » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm

It's MagnaCut, not Larrinite.




S45vn is basically CQI S30v/S35vn

Finer structured than S30V and S35VN.

Blends the attributes between those two steels nicely.

I feel it's a great "Elmax Killer"

Both S45vn and Elmax have similar wear resistance but S45vn does it with less carbide volume and finer carbides.


Spy27 has better sharpenability

MagnaCut has better toughness and edge stability at higher hardness
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Bolster » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm
S45vn is basically CQI S30v/S35vn...

Thanks for the read on S45VN, Shawn.
(Yes, I'm aware that Larrinite was mis-named as MagnaCut.)

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 6350
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:06 pm

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm
S45vn is basically CQI S30v/S35vn...

Thanks for the read on S45VN, Shawn.
(Yes, I'm aware that Larrinite was mis-named as MagnaCut.)
Why would you purposely spread false information though?? I love Rex45 steel, but 27 and 83 are my favorite numbers...I'm not going to start calling it Rex2783. That doesn't make much sense to do that :confused:
21 :spyder:'s in 14 different steels
1- Zero Tolerance 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - Bradford Guardian 3/Wharnie Vanadis 4E

-Rick

User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Bolster » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:13 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:06 pm
Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm
S45vn is basically CQI S30v/S35vn...

Thanks for the read on S45VN, Shawn.
(Yes, I'm aware that Larrinite was mis-named as MagnaCut.)
Why would you purposely spread false information though?? I love Rex45 steel, but 27 and 83 are my favorite numbers...I'm not going to start calling it Rex2783. That doesn't make much sense to do that :confused:
Honestly.

Is your real name TkoK83Spy? If not, why would you purposely spread false information?

This is the Mule sub-forum. Everybody knows it's MagnaCut. We've had long discussions about the name here and on BF. Unlike your new Rex2783 (which sounds great to me, where can I get some), there weren't scores of people calling it that before the official name was released. I'm sorry you're so sensitive about a nick-name for a new steel, but if Larrinite really bothers you, then I'll stop calling Larrinite, Larrinite. Fair enough?
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Bolster » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 pm

And another thing. Why do I get tagged with "spreading false information"? Have you also discussed your concerns with: CNN, Fox, MSNBC, the last 7 presidents (at least), the BBC, Al Jazeera, and others? It's not like I profaned anybody's deity or denied global warming. Sheesh.
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 6350
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:13 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:06 pm
Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm
S45vn is basically CQI S30v/S35vn...

Thanks for the read on S45VN, Shawn.
(Yes, I'm aware that Larrinite was mis-named as MagnaCut.)
Why would you purposely spread false information though?? I love Rex45 steel, but 27 and 83 are my favorite numbers...I'm not going to start calling it Rex2783. That doesn't make much sense to do that :confused:
Honestly.

Is your real name TkoK83Spy? If not, why would you purposely spread false information?

This is the Mule sub-forum. Everybody knows it's MagnaCut. We've had long discussions about the name here and on BF. Unlike your new Rex2783 (which sounds great to me, where can I get some), there weren't scores of people calling it that before the official name was released. I'm sorry you're so sensitive about a nick-name for a new steel, but if Larrinite really bothers you, then I'll stop calling Larrinite, Larrinite. Fair enough?
That's why I actually have my real name in my signature. But people aren't looking for me on the internet, though they are looking into this new and exciting steel Magnacut. Seeing it crossed with a phony name can lead to confusion. Anyways, Larrin himself even posted that it's called MagnaCut and that's what HE would like it referred as.
21 :spyder:'s in 14 different steels
1- Zero Tolerance 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - Bradford Guardian 3/Wharnie Vanadis 4E

-Rick

User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Bolster » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:27 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:19 pm
That's why I actually have my real name in my signature. But people aren't looking for me on the internet, though they are looking into this new and exciting steel Magnacut. Seeing it crossed with a phony name can lead to confusion. Anyways, Larrin himself even posted that it's called MagnaCut and that's what HE would like it referred as.

OK, TKO83SPY, (and I assume that avatar is what you actually look like...because mine is), how about if I call it Larrinite*, and then in a footnote, put: "*Larrinite = MagnaCut." Then it's searchable, since that seems to be the main concern here. I've read Larrin's comments on his new steel, and I recall him saying Crucible would not incorporate his name, but I don't recall him telling anyone not to casually or jokingly refer to it as Larrinite. I don't think Larrin has censorship powers, anyway. He'd need to be in politics or media to do that.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 6350
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:03 pm

Clearly you have those internet troll tendencies, feels like I'm trying to reason with my 9 year old :rolleyes:

Nothing constructive coming from this, I'm out.
21 :spyder:'s in 14 different steels
1- Zero Tolerance 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - Bradford Guardian 3/Wharnie Vanadis 4E

-Rick

User avatar
Larrin
Member
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Larrin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:18 pm

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:27 pm
I don't think Larrin has censorship powers, anyway.
Image
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Deadboxhero » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:35 pm

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 pm
S45vn is basically CQI S30v/S35vn...

Thanks for the read on S45VN, Shawn.
(Yes, I'm aware that Larrinite was mis-named as MagnaCut.)
It's certainly an interesting steel, I have a few more pieces of it to play with.

I still like to run my S45vn hard and thin even though MagnaCut is tougher and more stable.


It would be interesting to see if folks would see a difference between S45vn and S30v/S35vn in a mule.

Perhaps the changes would boost the performance folks would see anecdotally in real world use.

It was nice to see in the Pm2 S45vn that it was run slightly harder than the Para 3 S30v.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Bolster » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:55 am

OK, I'm in for an S45VN mule. I'm really curious if I'll notice a difference from S30V. This may be the blade I convert to a kitchen cutter.

Darth Larrin: Please don't find my lack of faith disturbing. I have apologized to my Spydie-bro TkoK83Spy in a PM and we're cool.

Gtscotty
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:53 pm

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Gtscotty » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:30 am

Larrin wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:18 pm
Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:27 pm
I don't think Larrin has censorship powers, anyway.
Image
Lol

I think S45VN is the Mule I'm going to get for my dad out of the next two. I want a Z-Max, but I think corrosion resistance and easier sharpening will be more useful attributes for him than edge holding turnt up to 11.

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Deadboxhero » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:37 pm

I did a in depth video about CPM S45vn a year ago.

https://youtu.be/5C_Sy6FERzg
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

User avatar
Bolster
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: CalyFRNia

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Bolster » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:50 pm

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:37 pm
I did a in depth video about CPM S45vn a year ago.
LOLOL, so S45VN is that formidable, is it? LOL!

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 5117
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby TomAiello » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:47 pm

I'm going to have to make my kids watch that movie now.

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Deadboxhero » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:18 pm

Bolster wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:50 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:37 pm
I did a in depth video about CPM S45vn a year ago.
LOLOL, so S45VN is that formidable, is it? LOL!
:p
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

Rwstubbz
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:49 pm

Re: What to expect from S45VN?

Postby Rwstubbz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:24 pm

Larrinite or magnacut, I want it.


Return to “Mule Team Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest