Time for some different Byrd designs.

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Time for some different Byrd designs.

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I get this is the budget line and no where near as popular and trendy as the mid and upper end Spydies.. I guess what I am saying is how about some new blade designs? Even if the steel stays the same?
I was thinking of a larger fully serrated 4 inch bladed hawkbill. Like a big brother to my Byrd hawkbill.
Or something along the line of a ZT 0990 blade shape with a different handle shape.
I really wish Byrd knives would try some new designs as I would assume that would be a good way to test the waters and see if the designs invented would be a hit and worth production in the Seki City/Golden line ups?
I really like Byrd knives for hard EDC use due to the lock back system which has become quite a rarity these days as liner and frame locks have become the big thing.
For those who prefer liners\frame locks. Why not feel free to give your thoughts on including those on the Byrd line up? And I would love to hear any ideas you may have for a new design Byrd.
I just ask we leave blade steel upgrades out of this as to not hijack the purpose of this post. And to keep Byrd knives economical so we can focus on budget and different designs as opposed to raising costs.
Which would also potentially be counter productive to Spyderco's higher end line up.
Last edited by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives on Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Re: Time for some different Byrd designs.

Another design I would love to see Sal and Eric do in the abuse line is a 3.25 to 3.75 inch Tanto. Come on guys and gals. Shoot some ideas along.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

:respect Honestly, I really like Byrd. I’m not sure why my activity here is low compared to the Spyderco General Topic.
I have lots of ideas and things to talk about regarding Byrds.

I also have some designs and other ideas for the Byrd knives and brand. Sal even suggested I send in a design, which was a big surprise to me honestly, but I’ve been taking more time to make sure anything I do send is “Spyderco Solid” and something I think is worth it.
I’ve learned a lot just because that motivated me to think about designing more deeply.

I’ve been meaning to do some research on the history of the brand, especially about the Dinosaur themes (I’m enthused by Paleontology and Biology and Paleo Art). The package art featuring feathered dinosaurs is very interesting!

At this point, when I think of a new knife I’d want or something that I feel is a good and unique idea, I just design it.
I don’t fully flesh out all of them with exact blueprints just because it’s a lot of work to do by hand with relatively elementary tools, but I can do it.

I have a large Reverse-S design (actually more than one as the original version and comments from others on the forum have inspired others), Recurve designs, and a 3.5 inch Tanto folder that I imagined as a Seki Spyderco but could work as a Byrd.
I even have a Byrd fixed blade design that I think is pretty solid.

These designs of mine really just reflect a desire and admiration for things like more Recurves, Reverse-Ss, Tantos, and fixed blades from Byrds and also Spyderco.

I’m already quite long winded and active on the forum. If I put together all of my thoughts and ideas and designs, it’d be a full time job. People would get more sick of me than they might already be.

I mean, just last night I sketched up what is basically a recurve Shaman with no choil as well as an early concept of a Powerlock Reverse-S design, just because I was thinking about the Shaman and Powerlock designs and blades with curvy edges. So why not? I think they’re pretty good ideas too. I’m still learning, though!

Anyway, my next Byrd purchase is probably a wharncliffe Harrier 2 and/or Byrd Tern.

Byrd has long served as a means to translate popular Spydercos to a more budget focused brand.
In that vein, I think a “Handle Forward” Byrd BackLock design like the RockJumper and LeafJumper would be very neat. This is because, truthfully, while I like my Hawkbill a lot, it and most other Byrd’s finger scallops and choils aren’t my preference.
A rare time where I’d probably buy several “ByrdJumpers” as backups.

Also, there should be some Byrd emoji’s.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:27 pm
:respect Honestly, I really like Byrd. I’m not sure why my activity here is low compared to the Spyderco General Topic.
I have lots of ideas and things to talk about regarding Byrds.

I also have some designs and other ideas for the Byrd knives and brand. Sal even suggested I send in a design, which was a big surprise to me honestly, but I’ve been taking more time to make sure anything I do send is “Spyderco Solid” and something I think is worth it.
I’ve learned a lot just because that motivated me to think about designing more deeply.

I’ve been meaning to do some research on the history of the brand, especially about the Dinosaur themes (I’m enthused by Paleontology and Biology and Paleo Art). The package art featuring feathered dinosaurs is very interesting!

At this point, when I think of a new knife I’d want or something that I feel is a good and unique idea, I just design it.
I don’t fully flesh out all of them with exact blueprints just because it’s a lot of work to do by hand with relatively elementary tools, but I can do it.

I have a large Reverse-S design (actually more than one as the original version and comments from others on the forum have inspired others), Recurve designs, and a 3.5 inch Tanto folder that I imagined as a Seki Spyderco but could work as a Byrd.
I even have a Byrd fixed blade design that I think is pretty solid.

These designs of mine really just reflect a desire and admiration for things like more Recurves, Reverse-Ss, Tantos, and fixed blades from Byrds and also Spyderco.

I’m already quite long winded and active on the forum. If I put together all of my thoughts and ideas and designs, it’d be a full time job. People would get more sick of me than they might already be.

I mean, just last night I sketched up what is basically a recurve Shaman with no choil as well as an early concept of a Powerlock Reverse-S design, just because I was thinking about the Shaman and Powerlock designs and blades with curvy edges. So why not? I think they’re pretty good ideas too. I’m still learning, though!

Anyway, my next Byrd purchase is probably a wharncliffe Harrier 2 and/or Byrd Tern.

Byrd has long served as a means to translate popular Spydercos to a more budget focused brand.
In that vein, I think a “Handle Forward” Byrd BackLock design like the RockJumper and LeafJumper would be very neat. This is because, truthfully, while I like my Hawkbill a lot, it and most other Byrd’s finger scallops and choils aren’t my preference.
A rare time where I’d probably buy several “ByrdJumpers” as backups.

Also, there should be some Byrd emoji’s.
My friend. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I enjoyed reading that very much. I really love my Byrd folder more than any other budget blade I own. The lock up and ergonomics on Byrd k gives are way better than on my other budget knives like the Kershaw Oblivion and Ruike P108 I own.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

How about some HHG Byrds?
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:42 pm
How about some HHG Byrds?
That is a good idea.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Excited to read about all the design proposals you intend to submit, Cl1ff 👍

I think some novelty could invigorate the brand, put it onto more people's radars.
Cl1ff wrote:
In that vein, I think a “Handle Forward” Byrd BackLock design like the RockJumper and LeafJumper would be very neat.
The idea of a Rockjumper in the Byrd line is pretty interesting, since this particular model is struggling in the Spyderco mainline - possibly due to steel/price considerations. If this assumption is correct, then a cheaper steel at a much cheaper price might prove to entice more customers. (More marketing efforts could also be made in this direction).
Cl1ff wrote:
it and most other Byrd’s finger scallops and choils aren’t my preference.
On this topic, I personally like that the Byrd line adds some tweaks to regular Spyderco designs, like a choil to the Delica. It adds a meaningful element of differentiation, beside just price and branding.
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

I would love to see more handle forward designs, something with a leaf shape blade. I would love to see something similar to a native 5 blade shape and handle without the choil. I don't love the use of forward choils on 3" blades. The Alcyone is on my next to buy list. I'm torn on that or spending the bit more on a persistence in s35vn.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk ... t-17708051

One of these except for a steel ball on the end factory made.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Me, I'd really love a PE Hawkbill! Oddly, it would be really close to a grail knife for me. I wouldn't be opposed to a Harrier 2 PE Hawkbill either.
dpg

Post by dpg »

Hmmm a tanto or reverse tanto called Falcon or Kingfisher.

Why so far nothing Byrd that echoes the Salt series? Called Seagull of course.

Maybe too niche, but a blade suitable for edc but veering toward whittling, or maybe two bladed- one edc and one smaller for whittling- called Flicker?

These ideas come to me so quickly that now I’m wondering if they were obvious considerations that were discarded for whatever reason.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Anything new would be welcome from design to blade steel. The product lineup is so limited that it needs new blood to spark up this forum. So sad that the Byrd Wharnies went away. Thought they were brilliant. An upgrade in the Chinese steels used would be big news. A Byrd version of the Astute would get my attention.
z1r

Post by z1r »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:59 pm
Anything new would be welcome from design to blade steel. The product lineup is so limited that it needs new blood to spark up this forum. So sad that the Byrd Wharnies went away. Thought they were brilliant. An upgrade in the Chinese steels used would be big news. A Byrd version of the Astute would get my attention.
Yeah, I picked up a bunch when it was announced that they would be discontinued. I also got a Ti Cara Cara. Wishing I'd have picked up a Wharnie Cara Cara to do a blade swap with.

I recently got a Raven, I like it better than my Tenacious!

The issue I think with steel upgrades is that it drives up price. Evidenced by the cost of my Raven. I wonder what most would consider an "upgrade" to the steel? VG10, D2. what?
Megatron9000

Post by Megatron9000 »

A knife of Civilian SE or maybe PE type would be interesting, indeed. With G-10, of course. And call it a Condor )))