Robin 2

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
rmeron

Robin 2

Post by rmeron »

Just ordered a Robin 2 from Amazon. Any opinions, it's prime so I can send it back. :bug-red-white
rmeron

Re: Robin 2

Post by rmeron »

Must be really bad if no one wants to give an opinion. Thanks anyway.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I have it and it's a stout knife. IIRC though mine came with nylon washers and wasn't the smoothest opening. But it and the Raven are interesting. Honestly though I had a hard time with the handle to blade ratio on that series of knives.
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

Bemo, Thank you
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

There a sometime poster on the main form goes by S3 Ranch I think, who's a rancher and gives them out to staff and guests. They get used hard and he speaks well of their performance.
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

I guess that says a lot about the knife. How do you locate S3 Ranch on the boards?
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Argh! My mistake, I was thinking of a discontinued younger sibling to the Raven, not the Robin which is the Byrd equivalent to the Dragonfly. I do have the Robin 2 in the wharncliffe configuration and think it's an excellent knife. I use it as my marking knife for woodworking. The blade stock is a little thinner than the Spyderco equivalent which means once sharpened can be an incredible cutting machine. Spyderco's 8crmov is hardened to a higher HRC than most other manufacturers and really does an outstanding job for such a budget steel. My favorite in this line is the Harrier 2 with the Wharncliffe blade. Sorry to mislead you on the previous comments; old man confusion.
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

Bemo, not a problem. Looking forward to receiving it today, I hope. The mail is really messed up.
Megatron9000

Post by Megatron9000 »

Hi, everyone! Yeah, got Robin a month or so ago. G-10 handle and steel back-lock looks formidable. Really good cut straight outta box. Carry it in the pocket sometimes.
Have you received yours finally?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Megatron9000:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I love my Robin but it's a lightweight wharnie. I may look for a g10 version and do a blade transplant. The FRN has some sharp edges on the FRN unlike the Harrier 2 which is nicely chamfered.