First Byrd knife…and wow!

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
magicdad

First Byrd knife…and wow!

Post by magicdad »

Just picked up my first Byrd knife. I went with the Cara Cara 2 with the combination blade. After Day 1, I have to concur with those who have been as impressed with the Byrd line as I now am. Fit and finish, build quality, opening and lock up are all spot on. Absolutely comparable to my Delica 4. In fact, the Cara has none of the slight blade play my Delica has always had. And it's difficult for me to reverse/middle finger flick the Delica. I Spidey-flicked the Cara right out of the box.

I needed a solid and dependable knife specifically for the weekly cleaning of my koi and goldfish pond. It's a 3,000+ gallon pond, with all the typical pain in the neck reeds, vines, muck, etc. growing all around and into it. Not a job I want to use my SpydieChef for. First Cara Cara trial run today could not have gone better. It's a relatively large knife for me, but perfect for this particular chore. It's budget blade is razor sharp and sliced right through thick, fibrous roots, with the serrated portion of the blade being a godsend. The budget handles felt very secure, even when fully submerged in water. Clean up of the knife was easy peasy - ran it under a hose bib then dried it off. Seems good to go for next week.

None of this means that I'm abandoning my other Spydercos, of course. But for it's intended purpose, the Cara Cara 2 hits it out of the park. I'm very satisfied with my first Spyderco 'beater', and apparently I felt that you needed to know that.

Happy holidays, everyone.
SpydieChef, Sliverax, Para 2, Para 3, Para 3 LW, Manix 2 LW, Native 5 LW, Sage 5, Chaparral, Harpy, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Alcyone, UK Penknife, Tenacious, Roadie, Byrd Cara Cara 2, and 100+ less significant (non-Spyderco) knives.
skeeg11

Re: First Byrd knife…and wow!

Post by skeeg11 »

Serrated Byrds are pretty amazing.....especially the serrated Wharnies.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Skeeg11 has it right, try the Harrier2 serrated Wharnie.
magicdad

Post by magicdad »

Bemo, it was between the Harrier and the Cara Cara. I favored the extra length of the latter for my immediate needs. But who's kidding who here? The Harrier will probably be my next purchase. Lol. Thanks for the suggestion.
SpydieChef, Sliverax, Para 2, Para 3, Para 3 LW, Manix 2 LW, Native 5 LW, Sage 5, Chaparral, Harpy, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Alcyone, UK Penknife, Tenacious, Roadie, Byrd Cara Cara 2, and 100+ less significant (non-Spyderco) knives.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It sounds like a very nice knife that works well for you. Hard to argue with that. Down the road perhaps, I think a SE Pacific Salt would be great for you as well.
z1r

Post by z1r »

magicdad wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 pm
Bemo, it was between the Harrier and the Cara Cara. I favored the extra length of the latter for my immediate needs. But who's kidding who here? The Harrier will probably be my next purchase. Lol. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm not typically a big Wharnie fan but the Harrier SE Wharnie, it's a beast. Same can be said of the Meadowlark in that configuration. I use my Hawkbill in my Lawn & Garden job all the time.

Agree with the OP, the SE Byrd lineup is awesome. But I'd kill for a PE Hawkbill!